Samsara - No longer under active development.

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Samsara - v0.18 - I'm gonna have to punch someone tonigh

Postby TerminusEst13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

You asked for him.
You're getting him.

Spoiler: Who?
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Postby HexaDoken » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 am

*me was seriously hoping for Caleb because he is a thousand times cooler*
Oh damn.
HexaDoken

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:48 am

Caleb would have fit this particular team a lot better.
Either him or the guy from Redneck Rampage :V
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby HexaDoken » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Yeah. The main thing about Build games is humour that was in them. While duke nukem is nice, Caleb and his black humour was a lot better.
Or Redneckguy for that matter, who barely has any sence of humour but kinda compensates by being batshit crazy on his own.

Also, whatcha bout Strife guy? With protagonists from all somewhat serious IdTech 1 games(even including Chexter, whom I usually don't count because hey look he is just doomguy clone), he feels somewhat left out.
HexaDoken

Postby Skunk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:49 pm

I second the notion. I like Strife!
Skunk

Postby insightguy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 pm

@skunk: honestly? his weapons kinda suck........
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby Ethril » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:11 pm

insightguy wrote:@skunk: honestly? his weapons kinda suck........

I beg to differ. Okay, yeah, the electric bolts suck, but the poison bolts are instant death on biological targets, the assault gun is arguably better than Doom's Chaingun, and the phosphorous grenades, Mauler torpedo, and full-power Sigil are all BFG-tier room clearers.
also HE HAS A FLAMETHROWER HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME
Ethril
F1

Postby Skunk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:18 pm

insightguy wrote:@skunk: honestly? his weapons kinda suck........

I disagree, but to each their own.
Skunk

Postby TerminusEst13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Okay, yeah, the electric bolts suck, but the poison bolts are instant death on biological targets, the assault gun is arguably better than Doom's Chaingun, and the phosphorous grenades, Mauler torpedo, and full-power Sigil are all BFG-tier room clearers.
also HE HAS A FLAMETHROWER HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME

Pretty much this.

Unless I have a sudden burst of inspiration of how to appropriately balance/order his weapons while still keeping him much like Strife, how to handle all the alternate ammo, and on top of this figure out his upgrade system and how drastically it'd affect him, he's way too powerful for traditional Doom II gameplay. I'd have to nerf him to the point where he'd not really play at all like Strife.
Sorry, Strife fans.
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Postby TheDarkArchon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Ethril wrote:the assault gun is arguably better than Doom's Chaingun

Except that it isn't. The chaingun does more average damage per accurate burst (18 vs. 20), more average damage per second (70 vs. 87.5) , more damage per ammo (250 lots of 3d3 vs. 200 lots of 5d3), more damage per shot (3d3 vs. 5d3) and has better base accuracy. The only thing the Assault Gun has over the Chaingun is Rate of Fire and that does not make up for it's shortfalls.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby Ethril » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:34 am

TheDarkArchon wrote:
Ethril wrote:the assault gun is arguably better than Doom's Chaingun

Except that it isn't. The chaingun does more average damage per accurate burst (18 vs. 20), more average damage per second (70 vs. 87.5) , more damage per ammo (250 lots of 3d3 vs. 200 lots of 5d3), more damage per shot (3d3 vs. 5d3) and has better base accuracy. The only thing the Assault Gun has over the Chaingun is Rate of Fire and that does not make up for it's shortfalls.

I meant within its own game. Obviously the chaingun is better in raw stats, but I find that (relatively speaking) I do better with the Assault Gun in Strife than I do with the Chaingun in Doom, especially once the accuracy upgrades stack up and you can snipe full-auto.
also strife gives you a shitload of bullets whereas doom tends to give you more shells, so while i can shoot the assault gun all day and never run dry (and even if i did you can get free refills from the trainer!), i've actually managed to run out while using the chaingun.
Ethril
F1

Postby HexaDoken » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:37 am

Well, it's not like every of your class is identical copy from the original(corvus has a 300 seconds cooldown for tome of power? whatthefuckisthat)
For alternate ammo, it can just eat the same ammo as usual except to a much higher rate(if we come think about it,the only alternate ammo that existed were poison bolts and phosporous nades - both costed a fortune), poison bolts may affect only so much enemies(all zombies + imps + nazis + maybe something else), phosporous nades may be just NOT SO DAMN OVERKILL, and when it comes to Sigil and Mauler torpedo - don't forget that they use YOUR OWN DAMN HEALTH as ammo. While in Strife you kinda compensate for that by encountering medikits on literally every turn, Doom isn't so much kind on this matter - if you will spam Sigil everywhere you die for good.

As for upgrades - feth them. They make game too damn easy anyway. Seriously, with 200 health and max accuracy I could run everywhere even on DAMN BLOODBATH and never go below 100 hp.

But oh well. I guess it's time to go all ZDWars and spam hand-made incredibly poorly balanced characters all over the place.
HexaDoken

Postby XutaWoo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:48 am

HexaDoken wrote:But oh well. I guess it's time to go all ZDWars and spam hand-made incredibly poorly balanced characters all over the place.

That's a horribly low blow, dude.
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 am

TerminusEst13 wrote:Duke Nukem is joining the wheel of Samsara.

I love the Idea, but I have to wonder, how do you plan to do the mighty boot?
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby TerminusEst13 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 am

But oh well. I guess it's time to go all ZDWars and spam hand-made incredibly poorly balanced characters all over the place.

Ignoring the uncalled-for barb at my ZDW factions, I'm well aware my own criteria for characters is hardly the same as what other people would consider good additions.
If people want to make their own add-ons for different characters, hey, go right ahead. I'd actually be a little flattered; the attention Samsara is getting is actually kind of surprising for me! I appreciate everyone's interest and hope I can continue to make it better.

I love the Idea, but I have to wonder, how do you plan to do the mighty boot?

Like this!

If all goes well, I'm hoping to release v0.19 in the next few days.
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects