Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

Post by wildweasel »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote:34 pages and not a SINGLE Lazytown reference?!!?!?!?
We don't bow to your internet memeing ways. =P
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Just finished my playthrough. That was difficult! Also loved the boss fight, hehehe. :) Now what this needs is a Guybrush mugshot and sounds yanked from The Curse of Monkey Island for pain and grunts and whatnot.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

SidDoyle wrote:Now what this needs is a Guybrush mugshot and sounds yanked from The Curse of Monkey Island for pain and grunts and whatnot.
But... you're not playing as Guybrush. You can even see him during the ending sequence, clearly not being played by you.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Very cool map. I look forward to playing it. :D
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Ed the Bat wrote:
SidDoyle wrote:Now what this needs is a Guybrush mugshot and sounds yanked from The Curse of Monkey Island for pain and grunts and whatnot.
But... you're not playing as Guybrush. You can even see him during the ending sequence, clearly not being played by you.
I know, and you see Elaine and everyone else... I just want to be Guybrush. I wasn't claiming it made any sense in the game's lore; maybe a little add-on module for those of us that want to be a pirate wannabe?
Orb Swallowing Fox

Post by Orb Swallowing Fox »

Coming to think of it, I kind of feel the zombie pirates should occasionally drop the rums they have when killed, at least a small chance. Or always drop them but usually shatter with a small chance of remaining intact. Just a random thought =^.^=.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

SidDoyle wrote:I know, and you see Elaine and everyone else... I just want to be Guybrush. I wasn't claiming it made any sense in the game's lore; maybe a little add-on module for those of us that want to be a pirate wannabe?
least you can make your own addon for make your dream comes true as free box o' rum. just change the pirate doom player's sound and sprites into guybrush's with slade and there ya go.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

My recommendation would be a secret level above a ghost ship, where some super-duper "events" would happen via ACS-ing. Read the story of the SS Ourang Medan - it still chills me to the core to imagine what have really happened.

But otherwise, a true masterpiece :) Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!!!
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote: 34 pages and not a SINGLE Lazytown reference?!!?!?!?
Couldn't be bothered to make it, sorry.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Reactor wrote:Read the story of the SS Ourang Medan - it still chills me to the core to imagine what have really happened.
What's so chilling about it? At best - it never even happened because there's no evidence of the ship even existing or that anything else related to that event happened. At worst - they were assholes smuggling dangerous and illicit substances which leaked and they all died. There's nothing scary or mysterious about that.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Galaxy_Stranger, why not think about it from a fictional perspective and think about ways it could be adapted into a cool level for a certain Doom conversion? =P
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well I wouldn't say for 100% it never ever happened, as both the Silver Star and City of Baltimore were existing ships, and the Ourang Medan's case is not the only one with the similar screnario - in fact, it happened pretty frequently with several other ships (Holchu, Abbie S. Hart, Santa Maria) in the Indian ocean. The entire crew was aboard, none of them was alive, and to this day, no explaination is found for them. The famous story of Ivan Vassili also features a super-natural entity who have took possession of the ship in the Indian ocean (albeit it was less hostile, it only caused the crew to go berserk and kill themselves). Seeing how everyone was dead aboard the Ourang Medan, eyes opened wide, faces turned towards the sky, teeth bared, it seems to me that something have literally scared everyone to death, and could pass thru walls, as everyone was dead at the lower decks at the same time. The radio operator may have seen what have happened on the upper deck and the officer's quarters, before transmitting the S.O.S. signal, so that "something" didn't kill everyone off at once. He had a little time telling that he is also near death, but couldn't describe what it is, leading to much much speculations...

IMHO it's much more mysterious and scarry than the Mary Celeste's case (and thousand other ships' case for that matter), and a little resembling to the tragedy of Flight 19, as we are left with a shipload of dead bodies, and two very ominous radio messages. Of course the ultimate solution would be to dive underwater and dig up the wreck, but that'd prove too costly. However, it's not impossible.

Tristania 2, in fact, will adapt the level as a secret level for the warrior (Einar Moen) aboard the ship. No enemies, everyone is dead just like described in the story, and the sun on the sky seems to "grow" (it'll involve a few extremely oversized sprites), while the screen gradually turns into yellow. The protagonist has 15 minutes to leave Ourang Medan, the "event" which have killed the entire crew would be a quick fade to white. As a ghost ship level, it'd focus on "puzzling" rather than shooting.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

I know it's somenthing completely different, but speaking of ghost ships the first thing that came to my mind was the Rime of the Ancient Mariner of Coleridge, and maybe this could also fit a bit better with Pirate Doom scenario.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

wildweasel wrote:Galaxy_Stranger, why not think about it from a fictional perspective and think about ways it could be adapted into a cool level for a certain Doom conversion? =P
Because the Mary Celeste is a much better choice. ;-p
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

The only problem with Mary Celeste is that it'd be a bit blunt wanderin' aboard a totally empty ship devoid of all corpses and enemies, and no danger in sight (the Mary Celeste have never suffered anything like that afterwards),so the level wouldn't be much of a challenge. In the Ourang Medan's case, albeit no enemies, the scenario is still reeks of death and decay.
Another possibility may be the Flying Dutchman, yet, it's (hopefully) entirely fictional.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”