GZDoom Builder 2.3

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: GZDoom Builder 2.3

Postby ZZYZX » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:03 pm

MaxED wrote:1. DIY.

Switch to git already. Right now the only possible way of making a fork is physically copying your svn tree and manually merging all upstream changes.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Discord: ZZYZX#1394
Github ID: jewalky

Postby MaxED » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Install TortoiseSVN already.
MaxED

Postby Gez » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:18 pm

PROTIP: You can transparently use SVN on GitHub and get the best of both worlds this way.
Gez

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:54 pm

MaxED wrote:Install TortoiseSVN already.

Doesn't fix the shit underneath.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby MaxED » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Sorry, but I don't have any desire to do something, which would benefit a single user, who contributed nothing other than "OH NOOO HOW DARE YOU MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR OWN PROJECT!!! I DONT LIKE!!!!1" comments so far.
MaxED

Postby ZzZombo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:38 pm

So you don't think using SVN instead of nowadays de-facto standard Git for source control is what ultimately makes others think like 7 times before contributing? I mean, I don't know many developers that even have SVN just installed, moreso actually use it in their projects; you just make it unnecessarily complicated for others for no observable benefits or reasons other than "but the updater uses SVN revisions", that is salvageable.
ZzZombo

Postby ZZYZX » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Btw, you might want to replace %VS90COMNTOOLS% with $(DevEnvDir)..\Tools\ in postbuild scripts as suggested here.
Because what is there right now, will fail if you try to compile it without actually having VS90 installed (I for example have VS2015 aka 14.0 and never had VS2008 aka 9.0).

Going to try to edit the texture picker interface, wonder if my Qt experience helps
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby ZZYZX » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:47 pm

Also I just built the latest GZDB and it seems to have broken 3D floor translucency (normal translucency works alright): http://i.imgur.com/mYJxdQ4.png
Upon downloading the official r2767 from DRDTeam it seems to have the same problem.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby Xaser » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Gez wrote:SLADE can decrease map grid to 0.5, 0.25, 0.10, or 0.5.

Hmm, sure 'nuff. Is there a command for insta-snapping all the currently-selected vertices to the grid? I can't find anything like it in the controls menu and that's the other half of the puzzle (there's no way I'm gonna jiggle thousands of vertices individually to do it :P).
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby MaxED » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:59 pm

ZzZombo wrote:So you don't think using SVN instead of nowadays de-facto standard Git for source control is what ultimately makes others think like 7 times before contributing?
Would you personally contribute anything if I moved GZDB soure to Git?

ZZYZX wrote:Also I just built the latest GZDB and it seems to have broken 3D floor translucency
Works fine on my side...
MaxED

Postby Rachael » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:11 pm

MaxED wrote:Would you personally contribute anything if I moved GZDB soure to Git?

I don't think anyone has a "right" so to speak to demand that you switch to Git - but on the reverse side, the benefits to Git are simply too numerous to ignore, especially when you host on Github. If someone is saying they're thinking 7 times before contributing, then someone else might be thinking that, too. Besides, as Gez mentioned, you can use an SVN client to interact with Github (though, personally, I would still move to TortoiseGit - the SVN thing just offers an alternative available that your previous contributors might have used).

At worst, just create a project on Github, use its import script, and then you can switch your SVN client over to it. But again - your project, your rules, your preferences. Was just some hopefully helpful advice. :)
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby ZZYZX » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Apparently it reproduces randomly/not always. "Steps to reproduce" can be seen here as I'm restarting GZDB few times and switching active levels.
(Not really useful, but at least this is the proof that it exists.)
My guess is that it depends on time since GZDB startup or something like that, but then it stays for the entire level editing time or until GZDB restart.

This is the level that I started getting it in: http://www.mediafire.com/file/v7y27eoy7lt9s3d/hop.wad

As for the Git vs SVN, I can't promise that I'll actively contribute to anything, but you probably should know that I occasionally already do contribute to G/ZDoom when I don't like how it works. With varying results.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby Nash » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:49 am

Hey MaxEd I'm just throwing my 2 cents, but if GZDB was indeed on Github, it would encourage users like me to start contributing wherever I can, although speaking for MYSELF PERSONALLY, my programming skills are quite limited, even in (G)ZDoom, I don't really contribute THAT much, but hey - Github makes it possible that I could even commit 1 single contribution...

I'd personally like to see GZDB on Github if only it would encourage more programmers to help you lighten your workload and/or add features... :D

#JustSaying
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Nevander » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:58 am

So why can't GZDB? If I try to put in 0.5, it won't let me put in a dot.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Nevander wrote:

So why can't GZDB?

GZDB is not Slade :D

Nevander wrote:If I try to put in 0.5, it won't let me put in a dot.

Pardon my curiosity,
why would you want/need to map with a setting of less than 1 mu ?
Kappes Buur

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects