GZDoom Builder 2.3

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Xaser

Re: GZDoom Builder 2.3

Post by Xaser »

Kappes Buur wrote:Pardon my curiosity,
why would you want/need to map with a setting of less than 1 mu ?
Here's a use case. It's also for a real map, not hypothetical.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Have anybody reported this as a ZDBSP issue? Every time I see this being discussed, the only proposed solution is "just drag the verts around until the issue goes away".
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. But if it is indeed a precision issue and not a general problem there's not much that can be done.

On the other hand I know there's an issue with vertex selection which Randi refused to fix because it'd require adding checking code to the innermost loop in the node builder and instead deciding to hack and fudge a bit to avoid the error case. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the cause here.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Lud wrote:When you have word wrap enabled and are writing a string in Print, for example, and are also on the 2nd row of the string, the function hint box hides the 2nd row text on each keystroke.
Fixed.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Kappes Buur wrote:Pardon my curiosity,
why would you want/need to map with a setting of less than 1 mu ?
Personally my usage would be to create an even thinner sector for some special effects or raising walkable midtextures into the ceiling.
AlexMax
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 22H2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by AlexMax »

Is there a way to draw linedefs that don't actually have any sidedefs assigned to them?

This is the way the old WADED editor worked, you could draw all the lines you wanted, but you had to use Make Sector to actually "finish" the room.
MaxED wrote:Sorry, but I don't have any desire to do something, which would benefit a single user, who contributed nothing other than "OH NOOO HOW DARE YOU MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR OWN PROJECT!!! I DONT LIKE!!!!1" comments so far.
Do it for selfish reasons then.

Git is a much better version control system than Subversion, because it uses a graph to represent history instead of a linear line of commits. Branching and merging is trivial in git, which means that when you switch from Subversion, you start to use short-lived branches quite a bit to improve your workflow and set aside half-finished work.

On top of that, as mentioned above, the distributed repository design of Git makes accepting outside contributions much easier. You don't have to deal with patches or give people commit access to your repository, you just accept a pull request with their work and go on with your life. Github's interface makes this incredibly easy.

Basically, going from Subversion to git is like going from Doom Builder 2 to GZDoom Builder. ;)

Besides, git is also a skill that you might end up using at a job, something to put on your resume.

Also, if you want, I can help you convert your SVN repository to Git. I've done it for ZDoom, Zandronum (as an intermediary between SVN and Mercurial) and Odamex. If you need some help with the tooling, I can give you a hand with that too.
printz

Post by printz »

I'd like that when you delete a sector neighbouring another sector, the remaining sector won't have its newly 1-sided linedefs textureless. It's never desirable to have textureless lines.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

GZDB did that at one point. The users uproar was immense.
printz

Post by printz »

MaxED wrote:GZDB did that at one point. The users uproar was immense.
What did they say? What was their reasoning? Do they love HOM and returning to the editor to fix it?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

They said "VERY IRRITATING!". Many many times.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Speaking of texturing and things that are irritating, some things that keeps irritating me is that when you draw a sector (or possibly other actions, not sure) near another sector which has been lowered into the floor so that the rest of the sector is at the same level, there's a good chance that the textures on the sidedefs of that sector will be removed.

Also when doing draw actions near untextured walls and stuff, those walls will be forced into a default texture after the draw. Even DB2 did this, so it's been default behavior for a while. Personally these two things annoy me because if I set a texture, I expect it to stay set regardless of new drawing actions, and if I leave something untextured on purpose, I expect it to stay untextured.

Some sort of toggle options here would come in handy (leave them on by default so this behavior remains default, but can be toggled).
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Meanwhile, this happened.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Inb4 PR storm. (Not from me, though. I can't code to save my life.)

I respect developers who listen to the community, and even if reluctant about their decisions, they still overcome it for the greater good. Props to you, MaxED.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

printz wrote:
MaxED wrote:GZDB did that at one point. The users uproar was immense.
What did they say? What was their reasoning? Do they love HOM and returning to the editor to fix it?

I guess most people who delete one side of a linedef plan to work on that part later, and then resetting the textures can indeed be irritating.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Hey, is there any tutorial on how slopes work in current GZDoom builder? All I find on the internet is with the Plane Align action in the Action tab, but this seems to have been removed in the current version. I have absolutely no idea how to use the Slopes / Portals tab in Edit Sector.

If I want to make the slopes not turn around the centre, but align between two different sector heights, how can I do it?

Here's what I'm working on: https://postimg.org/image/typlj6au7/
I basically want a nice slope terrain-like on the sides of the cave tunnel. If someone could point me to any up to date tutorials I'd be grateful.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”