GZDoom Builder 2.3

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom Builder 1.14

Post by Kappes Buur »

Da Spadger wrote:So i was having fun deleting some unneeded vertices and this happened. After some further experimenting, it seems that deleting that lone vertex above and a little to the left makes things behave normally. Nope, didn't seem to make a difference now. Weird. (Grid size is at 4 in those pictures)
This could be related to what Gooberman experienced:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 20#p679098

It would be interesting to see if some algorithm can be developed, which could connect vertices in a meaningful way after the deletion of
multiple vertices, as in your case.

But is it worth the time and effort? Just simply deleting the linedefs and then connecting the left over vertices is simple enough.

[edit] added strike-through. I should have known better. :roll:
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

I was just falling in love with GZDoom Builder when I updated it and now I have to relearn mapping because the controls section was simplified but the customization was cut down...

Now that you can't select the SHIFT+, CTRL+, stuff separately for this, I need to relearn the controls for my mapping, and it slows me down a hell of a lot, I have the basic select as SHIFT+LMOUSE, and i can no longer have it like that while still having the select texture on LMOUSE. I tried re-routing my copy-textures keys to make room but i'm just so confused now. It'd be nice if you still could assign every key function separately thanks...

(sorry if this has been adressed before and there is a work-around presented, not sure how long ago i last updated it)
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

[r1727] deleting vertices

I used this layout, to simulate Da Spadger's map, as a test to delete the 12 vertices within the red outline.

The deletions worked like a toggle, 50% perfectly, 50% as before with r1726, regardless of the direction the outline was drawn.
For example:
I delete the vertices, it worked perfectly. Then I Ctrl+Z to restore the vertices.
I delete the vertices, it doesn't work. Then I Ctrl+Z to restore the vertices.
I delete the vertices, it worked perfectly. Then I Ctrl+Z to restore the vertices.
I delete the vertices, it doesn't work. Then I Ctrl+Z to restore the vertices.
etc.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Can you try r1728?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:I was just falling in love with GZDoom Builder when I updated it and now I have to relearn mapping because the controls section was simplified but the customization was cut down...
Shift and Ctrl keys are now used as modifier keys of Select action in Visual mode to select adjacent surfaces with the same texture (Shift-Select) and with same height (Ctrl-Select). I can turn these into separate actions, so you can map them to any key you want, my concern is that GZDB already has more than 200 actions, that's why I'm trying to add new functionality to existing actions when possible.
Da Spadger

Post by Da Spadger »

Kappes Buur wrote:It would be interesting to see if some algorithm can be developed, which could connect vertices in a meaningful way after the deletion of
multiple vertices, as in your case.
Regular DB2 works as expected when doing this though, so I figured it probably isn't intended behavior.

Here's something else that can't be intended either. The Ceiling Brightness box in the Edit Sector window doesn't do anything, but if you input let's say 255 in the Floor Brightness box then the ceiling gets the brightness change! Also, if I set Floor Brightness to 255 to get a bright ceiling, then go back and change something else, Floor Brightness goes back to 0.

MaxED wrote:Shift and Ctrl keys are now used as modifier keys of Select action in Visual mode to select adjacent surfaces with the same texture (Shift-Select) and with same height (Ctrl-Select). I can turn these into separate actions, so you can map them to any key you want, my concern is that GZDB already has more than 200 actions, that's why I'm trying to add new functionality to existing actions when possible.
Yes I kinda figured this was the case, and the controls section looked a lot cleaner now. I know my controls are a bit weird (They are based on DB1 since I got used to them and kind of ported them over to DB2 with some slight modifications)
An alternative would be a little button where you can choose "Simplified Controls" or "Advanced Controls". This way you can choose to have the list with all the actions separate or have the version with the merged ones. This way you can kind of control the bloat of the controls section.
Last edited by .+:icytux:+. on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Da Spadger wrote:Regular DB2 works as expected when doing this though, so I figured it probably isn't intended behavior.
No, it's kinda not. Not always, at least. Also try r1728. Vertex deletion should work in a less buggy way now.
Da Spadger wrote: Here's something else that can't be intended either. The Ceiling Brightness box in the Edit Sector window doesn't do anything, but if you input let's say 255 in the Floor Brightness box then the ceiling gets the brightness change! Also, if I set Floor Brightness to 255 to get a bright ceiling, then go back and change something else, Floor Brightness goes back to 0.
Fixed in r1729.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:An alternative would be a little button where you can choose "Simplified Controls" or "Advanced Controls". This way you can choose to have the list with all the actions separate or have the version with the merged ones. This way you can kind of control the bloat of the controls section.
Err... that's not how it works now. There's only one control sheme in DB2 and GZDB. The thing is, all Doom Builder actions have "disregardshift" and "disregardcontrol" properties. If these properties are set, Shift + [action key] and/or Ctrl + [action key] are not treated as separate actions, which allows to use these keys as modifier keys inside of action's code. An example of this will be "Draw lines" action, which uses Shift key to disable snapping to grid and Ctrl key to disable snapping to vertices while you are drawing teh lines.

When I add new features to GZDB, I try to tie them to existing actions by adding modifier keys to said actions. Shift and Ctrl keys allow you to have additive, subtractive and... um... intersective rectangular selection in Classic modes and the ability to select adjacent surfaces by texture and height in Visual mode. I can move functionality of "Visual select" into separate actions (so you'll have something like "Select Adjacent Walls by Texture" and "Select Adjacent Walls by Height" actions), but I can't do this with classic select, because these modifiers are used inside the action's logic to determine the type of rectangular selection. The only thing I can do is remove this functionality entirely. And I don't want to do it. I kinda like it, you know :)

Uhm ok... guess I'll just have to get used to a new key then
[EDIT] and I actually found a pretty good way to keep most of my keys the same and put select on a key (forgot you can actually place it on a regular key, not only mouse buttons! :P )
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

[r1729]
Still works the same as in http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 930#p69542 if on the left hand side,
on the right hand side it seems to work all the time.

It's easiest to explain with a Video

[edit]
I just noticed the post on the Doombuilder2 forum.
Using the same map, as in the video above, with DB2r1715, the vertices were deleted correctly every time.
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Thanks for all the time you've put into creating this, MaxED! I've just installed it and it looks like there's a lot of great stuff in here.

I do have a couple of bug reports and some feature requests:

- The up/down arrows for floor and ceiling lighting in the sector edit dialog disregard negative values (used for relative lighting)
- Alignment for flats (possibly textures also? haven't checked) doesn't allow entering a decimal value for more precision, though it can be pasted in.
- The selection in visual mode only appears when highlight is enabled, inconsistently with DB2 which helpfully shows the selection regardless. (whoops, this one was a preferences thing)

A modifier for significantly higher precision when aligning/scaling/rotating flats in visual mode would help a lot, as would the ability to see alignment/scaling/rotation updates in realtime when they're entered in the sector edit dialog.

It would also be amazingly helpful to be able to clamp alignment to a certain vertex when scaling (or rotating), so that precise scaling for textures on slopes could be done without having to re-align after each scaling adjustment in order to check whether the change has helped or made things worse.

A dialog to somehow control which part of a large texture should be applied to a slope when using the scale-to-fit function would be ace.
(okay, floor/ceiling align modes more or less take care of this. great!)
Last edited by esselfortium on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Okay, something else I've been noticing.... even after a restart, GZDB's visual mode typically runs extremely slowly for me, with frequent lockups and stutters, making turning and movement really clunky and unresponsive. It's a complex map with about 25mb of resources loaded, but my system doesn't appear to be running out of RAM or anything like that.

I've tried running it in a small window, decreasing draw distance to something pitifully short, etc., to seemingly no effect at all. Are there any hidden options or something I'm missing that might be able to speed it up to a usable point?
Last edited by esselfortium on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

reporting a bug

The StairSectorBuilder.dll plugin causes a crash with this Exception:
Spoiler:
I cannot tell exactly how many revisions ago this happened, maybe back 5, 6 or so revisions.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

With r1727, the "Edit Sector" form's background is colored in gray, which makes it difficult to read the what's on it for me, considering my choice of Windows theme. The other forms are fine.

I tested this with an older version of the editor (r1691) and it doesn't appear to suffer from this.
Spoiler:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”