GZDoom Builder 2.3

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
esselfortium

Re: GZDoom Builder 1.11a: GZDoom features in Doom Builder 2

Post by esselfortium »

cq75 wrote:ah, thanks. That helped, though it seems to completely undo my configuration changes when I switch from coherence mode and back, I'm not sure if this software is worth the $80... (Parallels Desktop, that is)
Parallels works well for me, but Coherence mode is pretty useless for Doom stuff. I just run it in a window.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom Builder 1.12: GZDoom features in Doom Builder 2

Post by Xtyfe »

holy piss sticks you added pk7 support, now if only slade had that
Nash

Post by Nash »

Feature suggestion time. :D

1) Any chance for basic text editing built into GZDB? Nothing fancy like SLADE; just way to quickly text edit lumps like DECORATE or MAPINFO, things like that. Preferrably with directory support.

2) Now that we can see models in the Visual Mode, any chance of setting a model's pitch in the visual mode? Would be useful for positioning organic models like rocks and stuff.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:1) Any chance for basic text editing built into GZDB? Nothing fancy like SLADE; just way to quickly text edit lumps like DECORATE or MAPINFO, things like that. Preferrably with directory support.
Script editor can already open any text file (and it already has DECORATE syntax hilighting, autocompletion and item navigation)
Nash wrote:2) Now that we can see models in the Visual Mode, any chance of setting a model's pitch in the visual mode? Would be useful for positioning organic models like rocks and stuff.
Will be added in the next update.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ahh I must have missed the text editing capabilities... thanks! And thanks about the pitch editing too. :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

In the UDMF Control plugin, the minimum and maximum scale is too limited for my use, since my textures are very large. Can you extend them to like -16/16 or something... or perhaps make its limits user-configurable?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

I think better way to scale big textures is to use TEXTURES lump (especially if you have lots of them and you want all of them scaled down)... And you can enter values greater than -2/2 in numeric textboxes.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hmm... when I enter the values directly in the text box in the UDMF Control Plugin, the scaling seems to be wrong... it seems to be stretched in the Visual Editor. I tried a scale value of 16. Also, sometimes when entering the text input, the values will snap back to 2.0.

In the end, the only way for me around it was to go back to Classic Mode, right-click the sector or sideef and manually input the values in the Custom Fields tab...

I prefer to do it visually because of organic mapping... I don't want all textures to have the same scale. Plus, there will be many textures, there's no way I can type up hundreds of texture definitions to define the default scale...

Also, it seems that GZDB's MODELDEF parser doesn't take into account these useful new flags... see my example file for easy testing.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... eltest.zip

(Another problem with my example file is that the Visual Mode will crash, probably because I am using dummy textures generated on-the-fly?)
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:Hmm... when I enter the values directly in the text box in the UDMF Control Plugin, the scaling seems to be wrong... it seems to be stretched in the Visual Editor. I tried a scale value of 16. Also, sometimes when entering the text input, the values will snap back to 2.0.
Fixed in 1.12a. If you wish to change Scale slider's range, here's how: run GZDB 1.12a at least once, open GZBuilder.cfg, find this block:

Code: Select all

udmfcontrols
	{
		scalerange = 2;
	}
and change the value to desired one.
Nash wrote:Plus, there will be many textures, there's no way I can type up hundreds of texture definitions to define the default scale...
That's... not my problem :wink:, but I think I can make a simple utility to generate TEXTURES text file based on given folder with given scale. Any one interested?..
Nash wrote:Also, it seems that GZDB's MODELDEF parser doesn't take into account these useful new flags...
Added in 1.12a.
Nash wrote:(Another problem with my example file is that the Visual Mode will crash, probably because I am using dummy textures generated on-the-fly?)
Fixed in 1.12a.
Nash

Re: GZDoom Builder 1.12a: GZDoom features in Doom Builder 2

Post by Nash »

- I can't get 1.12a to generate the new UDMF Control setting no matter how many times I run the program. I tried adding it manually but I can't seem to figure out which namespace to put it. I tried putting it under plugins, and then also tried putting it outside of everything else... it's still not working

- Is setting model pitch in the Visual Mode available yet? Can't seem to find anything on that either.

- It seems that models in the Visual Mode are 1.2 times taller than they appear in-game, because that's how the engine works... everything is squashed...

- I am interested in an automated TEXTURES generator built into GZDB!

- Are there any plans to include a visual TEXTURES composite editor, similar to what SLADE has (but SLADE does TEXTUREx only)... or is that beyond the scope of your project?

- And lastly, thanks for the fixes regarding the new MODELDEF flags and the crash. :D You're a beast! GZDB is seriously the most amazing Doom editor ever made.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:- I can't get 1.12a to generate the new UDMF Control setting no matter how many times I run the program. I tried adding it manually but I can't seem to figure out which namespace to put it. I tried putting it under plugins, and then also tried putting it outside of everything else... it's still not working
Looks like I've included wrong version of UDMF Controls in this release... Please redownload 1.12a...
Nash wrote:- Is setting model pitch in the Visual Mode available yet? Can't seem to find anything on that either.
I think I didn't understand you'r request. If you ment the ability to rotate a model using shortcut keys, it will be added in the... um... next update :3:, and if you ment the ability to change AngleOffset/PitchOffset/RollOffset, then read my reply to last quote...
Nash wrote:- It seems that models in the Visual Mode are 1.2 times taller than they appear in-game, because that's how the engine works... everything is squashed...
Looks like GZDoom bug to me... Made a 64x64x64 cube model, and yes, in GZDoom it's shorter than a sector with 64 units height. Have anyone reported this issue?
Nash wrote:- I am interested in an automated TEXTURES generator built into GZDB!

- Are there any plans to include a visual TEXTURES composite editor, similar to what SLADE has (but SLADE does TEXTUREx only)... or is that beyond the scope of your project?
Dunno about that... This feature will break one of main Doom Builder's principles (which is "Don't ever mess with the data user can change outside of the editor!!!11"). Perhaps I can make a standalone program, but not right now...
Nash

Post by Nash »

MaxED wrote:Looks like I've included wrong version of UDMF Controls in this release... Please redownload 1.12a...
Works now, thanks!
I think I didn't understand you'r request. If you ment the ability to rotate a model using shortcut keys, it will be added in the... um... next update :3
Yeah that's what I meant, rotating the pitch from inside the Visual Mode. Or perhaps a value entry when the Thing is right-clicked, along with the coordinates, angle, etc.
Looks like GZDoom bug to me... Made a 64x64x64 cube model, and yes, in GZDoom it's shorter than a sector with 64 units height. Have anyone reported this issue?
GZDoom has been behaving like this for a very long time, and I have made it common practice to model my things 1.2 times taller... so 64x64x64 becomes 64x64x76.8 in 3ds Max. I'm not sure if this will ever be fixed, or if it should be fixed... might mess with already released projects with heavy model usage.
This feature will break one of main Doom Builder's principles (which is "Don't ever mess with the data user can change outside of the editor!!!11")
Understood! :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

Just some thoughts on the model scale issue. I think it's a better idea if you just adjust your model code in GZDB to render models shorter by a factor of 1.2, so that the results in-game and also in the Visual Mode will be consistant.

This is what the GZDoom renderer is doing anyway, in gl_models.h, line 12:

Code: Select all

static const float rModelAspectMod = 1 / 1.2f;    //.833334f;

Maybe have this as an option in Preferences so it's not on by default.

I know how to fix GZDoom so that a 64x64x64 cube will be 1:1 with 64x64x64 in Doom map geometry. I will report it on the GZDoom forum anyway, let's see what Graf Zahl says about it... but I don't see the GZDoom renderer changing anytime soon...
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:- I am interested in an automated TEXTURES generator built into GZDB!
Well, it's not built into GZDB, but it's still better than nothing :)
TEXTURES Creator
Nash

Post by Nash »

When scaling a textures down with TEXTURES, and the source patch is put into the /textures directory, the image won't scale. Moving it to /patches will make GZDB draw ???? (texture not found).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”