[Abandoned/Source RELz] Oldschool Tile-Based Dungeon Crawler

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
amv2k9

Re: [VERY WIP/tech demo] Oldschool Tile-Based Dungeon Crawle

Post by amv2k9 »

Nash wrote:Just thought of a cheap solution for clickable items. Since the game is tile-based, what I can do is limit the amount of items that are available on the floor to perhaps 2 or 3 items per "tile". Any attempt to drop/spawn an item when the limit is reached will just fail to spawn the item ("you can't drop this here!"). Not sure how I'm going to handle the situation where a killed monster attempts to drop an item on an already fully occupied tile though.
Once max item-per-tile limit is reached, a chest is spawned on that tile, which sucks up everything dropped there? Maybe that's too complicated. Idea shamelessly stol inspired by Morrowind's Overflow Loot Bag, a special container that did the same kind of thing.
Nash

Re: [VERY WIP/tech demo] Oldschool Tile-Based Dungeon Crawle

Post by Nash »

Hmmm. Perhaps what I can do is, I can have 3 item slots per tile, but items are stackable. For example, attempting to drop a 4th item on that tile will drop the new item to slot 1, overlapping whatever item that's on it.

In terms of "click priority", the most recently dropped item will always win, so again, using the above example, clicking on the first item hitbox will make the player pick up item 4 instead of item 1.

Also, another idea I have is, if you currently have an item "grabbed" by your mouse cursor, you can "throw" the item forward to the next tile if you click while the cursor is within the top half of the viewport... but if you click on the bottom half of the viewport, the item will be placed nicely on the ground (respecting the item prioritization rules I explained earlier). Item throwing inspired by Ultima Underworld. :D
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Abandoned/Source RELz] Oldschool Tile-Based Dungeon Cra

Post by TiberiumSoul »

nice. with this people could do a remake of waxworks :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm sorry I never figured out the framework for monster movement as well as item picking up... which is also part of the reason I why I abandoned this project. Oh well, hopefully the tile-based movement (and by extension, the trick I used to detect collision detetcion) will be of educational use for modders who want to do other things that may involve a similar technique.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Spotted only now this one. This will be surely of some Ultima use. :cool:

EDIT: While I still didn't try this precious, is it tweakable for GZDoom now?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Is that... Eye of The Beholder!?

Now I feel old, thanks for that... lol
Shadez12

Post by Shadez12 »

I'd love to see something like a Doom RPG remake out of this :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”