Brutal Doom Lite - Version 0.13 - bugfix V2

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Brutal Doom Lite - Version 0.13 - bugfix V2

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Yes, but as already said, I can't make a new player class, or it will bug with most weapon mods, because almost all of them uses new player classes too :P
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Been waiting for this. I'll try it now.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Just tried V2. And well....I kinda hated it.

There are some glaring issues with this mod that I must address:

1.The chainsaw is broken.
-Whenever I try to kill Zombiemen, Imps, or any other enemies of this type with a chainsaw, somehow I lose 80 to 70 percent of my health. Sometimes I just die for no reason right when I kill these types of enemies with the chainsaw. It's very infuriating. Doesn't help with Entryway when your trying to conserve ammo. That and the chainsaw is the first weapon you pick up.

2.Difficulty in regards to original weapons.
-Is completely unbalanced. The AI for the monsters should have been left alone, as I'm starting to have memories of BD V.9 where I couldn't even get past the first level in Ultimate Doom, even on normal. The original weapons are essentially useless where originally they came in handy. Why you felt the difficultly needed to be ramped up without the balanced weapons of Brutal Doom, I have no idea.

Besides these problems, graphics wise it's great. But the problems I just stated just completely kill for me.

Also, what's up with the Autoaim in regards to corpses? I know they can be destroyed, but isn't there a way via DECORATE that can fix this for original Doom gameplay?
Last edited by BlueFireZ88 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Just tried V2. And well....I kinda hated it.

There are some glaring issues with this mod that I must address:

1.The chainsaw is broken.
-Whenever I try to kill Zombiemen, Imps, or any other enemies of this type with a chainsaw, somehow I lose 80 to 70 percent of my health. Sometimes I just die for no reason right when I kill these types of enemies with the chainsaw. It's very infuriating. Doesn't help with Entryway when your trying to conserve ammo. That and the chainsaw is the first weapon you pick up.

2.Difficulty in regards to original weapons.
-Is completely unbalanced. The AI for the monsters should have been left alone, as I'm starting to have memories of BD V.9 where I couldn't even get past the first level in Ultimate Doom, even on normal. The original weapons are essentially useless where originally they came in handy. Why you felt the difficultly needed to be ramped up without the balanced weapons of Brutal Doom, I no idea.

Besides these problems, graphics wise it's great. But the problems I just stated just completely kill for me.

Also, what's up with the Autoaim in regards to corpses? I know they can be destroyed, but isn't there a way via DECORATE that can fix this for original Doom gameplay?
Yes, please fix these issues. Those two issues completely destroy the fun.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

For the chainsaw issue it' may be the whole "exploding heads causes damage to player" thing. Cause I noticed that when I chainsaw an enemy, there's a pretty good chance it'll gib their head as well, causing a huge loss of health/armor.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

-Ghost- wrote:For the chainsaw issue it' may be the whole "exploding heads causes damage to player" thing. Cause I noticed that when I chainsaw an enemy, there's a pretty good chance it'll gib their head as well, causing a huge loss of health/armor.
I adjusted the explosion radius from a headshot to be smaller, and the only time I took damage was from no-clipping into the enemy. I don't think decreasing the explosion radius should affect the monsters in any way.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I just figured out that the Cyberdemons weren't firing anything on Russian Overkill. The heck is going on? :?
Blox

Post by Blox »

jpalomo wrote:I adjusted the explosion radius from a headshot to be smaller, and the only time I took damage was from no-clipping into the enemy. I don't think decreasing the explosion radius should affect the monsters in any way.
It happens by running into the monster after head-sawing them.
Hm..

Edit: Seems like it's not so much the fault of the explosion, since I for some reason still die even after making the "headshot" a A_CustomBulletAttack coming from inside the monster. (Thus hitting it, and not you.)
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Ribo Zurai wrote:I just figured out that the Cyberdemons weren't firing anything on Russian Overkill. The heck is going on? :?
I think this might be the problem of the "CyberRocket" actor being absent in this version, at least as far as I can see. I tried to find it so I can tweak the rocket speed to be a bit slower, but I don't see it anywhere. Also, I had a problem with the firing sounds for the chaingun in the mod I was using (as in they wouldn't play when the weapon was firing) until I went into the SNDINFO file and tweaked it to the original DSPISTOL sound effect and got rid of the minigun sounds (don't forget to change the commando's firing sound accordingly).

Edit: Trying adding this to the Cyberdemon section in Brutal Lite's "Bosses" file:
ACTOR CyberRocket replaces Rocket
{
Speed 30
}
Last edited by Steve1664 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

I'm pretty sure that taking damage from the headshot explosions happens because sometimes the (non-solid) headshot actor sticks around for a split second after the main (solid) actor dies, which means that if you're pushing forward with the chainsaw (which you most likely will be) you can end up killing the headshot actor one last time after you step onto the dying monster and therefore get within the headshot range.

possible solutions not involving a custom playerclass being immune to the damagetype:

-make the main monster actor forcibly remove any lingering headshot actors in the first frame of its death state, so the player can't hurt himself on the "leftovers"
-have the explosion do 1 damage but have it do a damagetype that the monster has a huge vulnerability to. that way they still take the regular massive amounts of damage but if the player gets "splashed" they wont really notice much unless they're already about to die, in which case you probably shouldn't be using melee damage to begin with. :P
-do away with the explosion altogether and just use stuff like [wiki]A_DamageMaster[/wiki]
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I don't know if that's something I'd be proud of...
Big C

Post by Big C »

I am playing this with Perkistran's smooth weapon animations and zombiemen don't drop extra clips when they die. Is this supposed to happen?
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

You should probably try going into the zombieman file and replacing the Drop.Item with "Clip". That worked for me. There's a lot of stuff that needs tweaking or replacing because of the weapon and enemy changes carried over from full Brutal.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Ah, got it.

Also, are the Lite zombiemen supposed to rapid-fire like they do in Brutal DooM proper? I was expecting them to pop off single shots per attack like their vanilla brethren.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”