Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Postby thief666 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Doom Juan - are you sure that computer is frozen?
give it another chance - do not use more than 400% first time and give t about 5 minutes (depending on processing power you have)

in my case 400% sprite resizing takes few minutes and it apperas as computer is frozen but after is done everything works again.
I think that this vector resizing is quite resource hungry.
thief666

Postby The Zombie Killer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:47 am

I know exactly what that problem is!!!!
It's because the program sets it's memory priority to "high" and some computers can't handle that. The same thing happened to me, I had to modify the program itself to fix it, I'll post a patched version here ASAP.

RE-EDIT: spritebomb_1_1_demo_fix_v2.zip

-MBF
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Discord: Zombie#1795

Postby hfc2x » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am

Doom Juan wrote:The Demo freezes my computer, and I'm uneasy about parting with 7 bucks for a program that just crashes.

It always happens with image-editing programs when you try to resize, so I'd say you shouldn't be afraid. Take Photoshop or GIMP for example. You need a lot of RAM and a powerful CPU for resizing or they slow your computer down to a crawl. You even have to take into account that SpriteBomb not just resizes, but also redraws the images. Make sure you have a lot of RAM and a powerful CPU if you want to work with it.
The MBF Dog wrote:It's because the program sets it's memory priority to "high" and some computers can't handle that.

Do you have any idea of what you're talking about? :?
hfc2x
DoomEU is not dead, just inevitably headed for a Mordeth nomination.

Postby The Zombie Killer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 am

Do you have any idea of what you're talking about?

Yes.

-MBF
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby FDARI » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:20 am

Spoiler: Trying to determine what MBF is talking about
Actual tips

If it is a memory issue: Try running as few programs as possible.

Check your tasktray (Windows users anyway) for java updaters and other uselessness that you can usually right-click and exit.

The MBF Dog may be right that the patched application improves something; that's hard to tell. It seems to have worked in one instance, or it would probably not be brought up as "the" solution.
FDARI
Melbourne is actually pronounced Mel-Byn, as though it were a wizard.

Postby hfc2x » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:04 pm

FDARI wrote:He could mean the CPU-priority, or he could mean the bit of the executable header that allows an application to have a larger working set (memory).

I was implying that the guy doesn't have an idea of what he's talking about. I've done some tests with other resource-intensive applications just for the sake of it, and changing the CPU priorities (just something basic any user can do) and it makes the whole system unstable, often resulting in BSoD. Changing the memory priorities, on the other hand, is something much more hazardous. Messing around with the system's memory could not just damage the system, but the whole computer.
We're talking about a resource intensive application in this case, which resizes and redraws up to thousands of game sprites, which someone smart enough can tell it WILL end up using a lot of memory and processing. If this application is indeed changing its memory priorities, then it's likely a candidate to be flagged as malware (which I don't think it should be).
And BTW, not that I do not trust MBF Dog's patch, but remember that this guy (ironically) "ported" the MBF Helper Dogs to ZDoom nevermind them existing already in it. If he cannot check an open sourced application first to submit his addons, does he have the ability to modify a closed source, proprietary software application? (Of course, he could have gotten permission to modify the source, but still).
hfc2x

Postby The Zombie Killer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Yeah, I just got the two terms mixed up, that's all :p
Regarding the MBF dog porting, I was very, VERY noobish back then, and I was using an older version of ZDoom, but heck, everyone has their noob days.

-MBF
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby thief666 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:02 pm

I was looking for another motivation for fininshing HI res sprites
and I found that then can be efortlessly plugged into my old project (porting Doom to another engine, guess which :) )
since part of porting was done before (enemy AI, some textures) its no extra work (just renaming hi res sprites) i think its cool:)
This adds bump/parralax mapping, dynamic lights and much more:
like ADVANCED AI
(for example when cacodemon on that screen is shot form big weapon, part of its body can fall of and live on its own, crawl towards player try to eat poor doomguy and besides shooting projectiles it can try to hypnotize player with his huge eye and pull closer so it can bit your head off - the way to prevent that is to out of his line of sight)
WARNING HUGE SCREENS:
Spoiler: Please put your HUGE SCREENS in a spoiler in the future! -mgmt

PS this port obviously never will be fininshed - I hardly can find any time for HD sprites so finishing porting is far beyond schedule but its kinda motivation that they can be implemented..
Last edited by thief666 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
thief666

Postby The Zombie Killer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:46 pm

If only parallax, bump and relief mapping was in GZDoom. I can dream I guess :p
Are you going to release a beta of that port? Looks really cool and I'd love to try it out.

-MBF
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Postby ibm5155 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 am

you could adapt some features to gzdoom ^^ (I would love to see that 3d textures on it, and maybe the lights effects too =D)
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:15 pm

If someone would go that far with the textures in terms of detail, why not the monsters and weapons too. It would be an interesting hybrid of old-school Doom and Doom 3.
BlueFireZ88
Fight fire with BlueFire.

Postby TheMorden » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 am

WOW! that looks amazing :O
TheMorden

Postby BoraxKid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey you should calibrate with Sgt. Mark Iv and see to it that you'll use these sprites for Brutal Doom! :D
BoraxKid

Postby hfc2x » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 pm

BoraxKid wrote:see to it that you'll use these sprites for Brutal Doom! :D

Replace "Brutal Doom" with "ÆoD" and you have an easier-said-than-done request template.
hfc2x

Postby SalmonGod » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey I just want to drop by and put any expectations to rest.

My work on Doom art has been put on indefinite hold, because I've found work with a small game studio that's just starting out. It's about 25 guys all working on their own time and resources while keeping their day jobs. There's some very dedicated and talented people there, so I think it has a good chance of growing up into a fully self-funded studio. I'm currently doing whatever I can to contribute to that.

It's a great learning experience. Whenever I've fully made the switch to working as an artist, it will be so much easier for me to do this. I've wanted for years to see Doom's original art style fully updated. It will just have to wait until I'm not in essence working two jobs.
SalmonGod

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects