Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
-Ghost-

Re: Doom weapons and enemies sprites HD (8x)

Post by -Ghost- »

Damn, that's pretty gory looking, lol. It takes getting used to looking at everything without the jagged pixel edges, keeps making me think the Imp was spikier than it actually is.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey thanks.
and thats slightly optimized verion (just 5 minutes of work:)
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

The work on the faces is great, but you really need to get rid of that filtered look, it's just awful looking. The filter should only be used as a base to create more detailed sprites with, not just run it through a filter and say "okay, I'm done!". The entire body needs detail and retouching to look HD, not just the face.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey,
I GOT ALL EPISODE 1 MOSTERS DONE

...well.. except baron of hell at the end.
@ sodaholic
sure I agree that this "filter" it not quite right but my approach was: get more pixel count for sprites, add HD heads
since head really changes whole sprite perception in game. Get i done for ALL sprites, make it working in game
and from that point I may just optimise them, but I can already play using them since they DO lokk better pixel-wise than oroginals. (not discusing artistic side)
But first I want to get ALL sprites higher res with HD heads.

Other, more talented people have different approach: get perfect sprite one after one but this seems to be basically undoable.

HERE ARE SAMPLES OF ALL EPISODE 1 MONSTERS, ANIMATIONS INCLUDE ALL VANILA AND SOME OF BRUTALDOOM SUTFF ALSO.
Last edited by thief666 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

The demon's eyes look extremely off in that picture.

edit: Also I think you should update your first post with the new better looking shots.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Do you think you could give us a video of the sprites in action? I think seeing them in motion would help us get a much better idea of how they're working overall as replacements.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

It looks like you just "detailed" the head, and then smashed a bunch of blur and paint filters on the rest of the body.
I'm sorry, but this just looks ew.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

sure I will make video, some time next week.
for now i will do rest of bad guys

@terranova: first I agree that bodies could look much better at the same time it seems you didnt read my post at all, how i resized sprites.
second, "just detailing head" might keep you quite busy, especially if you try to keep original feel to the (I dont know if i managed that,
I think IMP looks closest to original, soldiers need some more touches.)
third: in-game head seems to change sprite perception and IMO it works quite nicely. I mean if you can look into monsters eyes before shoting it
you basically see it as if entire sprite was HD, in -game. You see the difference here where is static and zoomed and not smoothed additionlay by game engine
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Like I said, you WILL have to redraw things. Smudged clods with partial detail just doesn't work.
If you want this to go anywhere at all I'd say you should stick to a single enemy and try to find a good style to work in. You can finish this as is but people won't use it so what's the point?
Blox

Post by Blox »

Eight times the original resolution like this is a no go.
Fortunately, they're quite usable as twice-the-slice.. With some AviSynth magic and some tweaking.

Tadah!

Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

The bodies still look lower-res, IMO.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Actually, I think that people are coming down a bit hard on thief666. Yes, the method he is using is not ideal but it is a compromise that allows him to actually get something done. Many projects like this have started and stalled because of the huge number of manhours it requires. Thief is at least getting some results. Who knows, once he has managed to get things done, the sprites he produces could serve as a suitable base for further work.

And, IMO, the results so far aren't too bad. Here is a hi-res zombieman standing alongside his low-res buddies in GZDoom.

I think that looks at least reasonable.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Slightly so, yes. But much better than before.

And yes, that looks acceptable. Except for the big, nasty blocks of upscaledness here and there.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hmm,
thnks for advices and criticism,
Ive tried to compare 8x and 2x sprites IN GAME (i was actually playing game with this sprites)
here is 2x rifleman (and 4 times shotgun):
IMO bodies looks a bit less pixelized than originals, but "filter lines" are not visible
HD head needs a bit better blending into sprite.

and here is 8 times imp. filter lines visible. in the background is imp with HD head, hands and spikes. This is supposed to be step 2 in my HD sprite processing
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

If there's a difference between the shotguns between the HD/Non HD images, i don't see it.

/edit Oh wait, slightly higher contrast.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”