Dread No Evil

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dreadopp

Dread No Evil

Post by Dreadopp »

Here's a small map that I made in a couple days. I'm hoping that this will be a series at some point so I can complete the story. Ports that should work are ZDoom, GZDoom and Skulltag. It's not the longest map ever, but I think there is some challenge to be had. Feedback is appreciated. :)

Story So Far
You take control of a marine named Zillon who has been sent to investigate a UAC base that was recently attacked. Intel states that a shipment arrived 2 days ago and that's when things went wrong. Upon arrival, you hear the voice of your girlfriend, Kaelin. Your commander orders you to search for the shipping crate and destroy it, but you want to search for Kaelin.

Screenshots
http://i53.tinypic.com/kd8x8o.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/zvbo1e.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/33ni3r6.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/j98y06.png

Download
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29694070/drnoevl.zip

Credits to Jimmy91 for the music track "Wasteland". Enjoy!
Last edited by Dreadopp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerminusEst13

Re: Dread No Evil

Post by TerminusEst13 »

1: Why in the world is How I Met Your Mother a related download?
2: Screenshots look pretty plain. Not a lot of texture and detail. Gonna download it now and see what it's like.
3: Lots of enemies right out of the gate. Thankful for the shotgun and shell box, and it gives me JUST enough ability to finish those guys off.
4: Specters in the bright, wide open? Doesn't really make them difficult to see or shoot down at all.
5: New Imp enemies and a new medikit? Hrm. I'll get back to this in a bit.
6: Seem to be getting lots of health kits, but not a lot of armor. I'd suggest amping up some armor instead of all the health.
7: I really like all of the rumbling around going on. Really cements the "something just happened" feel.
8: What did lowering the two platforms from the elevator do? Isn't really obvious at first. I assume they open the door to the SSG, but how do those link?
9: That darkened room with the box made me go Ohshi-. I love having something so common but suddenly perverted be the antagonist.
10: ...pretty much mitigated by the fact that I ran out of ammo completely and had to fist everything.

Okay, so. I love the idea that there's an evil box. But I think there's a couple concepts you tried to execute that don't quite work. For one, Kaelin has no presence at all--I think even just putting in a couple short soundclips of a woman's scream would really help. As it is, it just feels like another techbase roam.
Two, the custom items. I'm cool with unique items that do different things, but these "small ammo boxes" can be really replaced with just a couple piles of small ammo. They don't really add anything unique or nifty, they just basically replicate what can be done by having a small cluster of shotgun shells o medkits.
Overall, I think it's a good effort. I'm interested in seeing where this goes next.
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Some spooky sounds you can use are the DSFREAK## in Zen Dynamics.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

It looks indeed very dark, some light sources here and there for some more contrast would help a lot.
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
TerminusEst13 wrote:List
1. No idea. :?
2. I wasn't really going for massive amounts of detail. I was hoping to have a medium amount of detail without there being too much of it.
4. I'll see what I can do about this. I might darken the outdoor areas while adding a few more light sources. While I'm at it, I'll also add some other light sources in the base.
6. Fair point. I think I know where I can place some armor.
8. I can see what you're saying here. I'm going to think of a better way of letting the player know where they should go.
10. I was able to make it through okay, but I did create it. :P I'm trying to get a good balance here, but if running out of ammo is an issue, it can be addressed.
TerminusEst13 wrote:For one, Kaelin has no presence at all--I think even just putting in a couple short soundclips of a woman's scream would really help. As it is, it just feels like another techbase roam.
I'm actually working a another version of the map to address this. Plus, it will most likely be a series, so the story will play out over all the maps. The version that's up now was to basically see how the map itself would fair. I was also working on some dialogue boxes, but it wasn't turning out the way I wanted. I may need some help with them.
TerminusEst13 wrote:Two, the custom items. I'm cool with unique items that do different things, but these "small ammo boxes" can be really replaced with just a couple piles of small ammo. They don't really add anything unique or nifty, they just basically replicate what can be done by having a small cluster of shotgun shells o medkits.
I can understand what your saying here, but they are only ammo (and health) pickups. I created the new items so modders wouldn't necessarily have to worry about small piles of ammo. Instead they could have one medium pickup.
Conmon wrote:Some spooky sounds you can use are the DSFREAK## in Zen Dynamics.
Adding some ambient sounds would be a good idea.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's appreciated.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

When it comes to supplies, remember that it's better to have "too much" than "not enough". Skilled players may be able to do more with less (also i happen to be a bit obsessive when it comes to efficient ammo usage :P), but it can make the game completely unplayable for those who aren't as good. E.G. If you think an encounter will require 20 shells, then don't just give a shell box, give an extra shell pickup, to compensate for missed shots and random damage. Don't do it ALL the time, of course, otherwise it'd be too easy. :P

That's just general stuff related to the conversation at hand, though; I haven't actually played through this yet. :P

edit: Okay, played through on Ultra-Violence. Found ammo and health to be sufficient, (finished with around 50 bullets and 30 shells left, didn't even use rockets) but then again I took advantage of infighting and also punched out everything in the first room. I think a few more stimpacks and/or a green armor somewhere would be fair, and maybe another clip or two.
The part at the end with THE BOX was cool, but a bit overdramatic considering how easy it is. A Baron or Mancubus or something hefty like that would help the relatively narrow room REALLY feel claustrophobic. :twisted:

Also, those Lost Souls near the beginning are trapped in their little hallway by a monster blocking line. Makes them kind of pointless.
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Slight bump. Thanks for the feedback, Ethril.

I've uploaded a new version of the map to the first post. It now has some dialogue/story elements and bugs and whatnot have been ironed out (hopefully). No ambient sounds yet, but I will look into that while I'm making the next map.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Checked out the updated version. Been meaning to, but kept putting it off.

This is pretty good, now! Seems like you addressed all of my complaints in this version, and I can't really find anything wrong with this. It's short, simple, sweet, and leads into potential future maps.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

I remember trying this out, just forgot to comment on it.
I can't really say too much else as it was covered by other people and I haven't tried
out the new version but I do really like it alot. Never really had trouble to figure out
where to go or whatnot but the only thing was the ammo usage. By the final fight i literally had like 15 shells
and about 20 bullets. Either way I really did enjoy this and I will give the new version a spin whenever I get
the chance. Either way great job on this and can't wait for the entire series.
Tor-Bjorn

Post by Tor-Bjorn »

its too dark to be honest
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

The download link is dead now. Please reupload it. Thanks!
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Caleb13 wrote:The download link is dead now. Please reupload it. Thanks!
Mod Download Broken? Request Reuploads Here

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”