Page 1 of 3

Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:33 pm
by BlueFireZ88
Back in 1993, Doom was released (obviously). But not long after that a book was published which offered three all new episodes for the original Doom. This book is considered rare today, but the levels still exist out there, and the title "The Lost Episodes of Doom" somewhat rings true.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/The_Lost_Episodes_of_Doom

But now I offer an updated version of this classic trilogy with modern MAPINFO conversion to best give the "Jupiter Missions" a stronger sense of individual awesomeness.

No editing has been made what so ever to the original levels. The authorship still goes to the Episodes' creators : Chris Klie & Bob Carter.

A Read-Me containing some background information on the original wad as well as a list of changes can all be found within the Jupiter.rar file.

Please let me know what you think of the changes.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mi3a5pda1v8dq47

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm
by Average
I like the update. Seems a pity to limit it to ZDoom though. Is it possible to make this Boom compatible? I think you'd get a lot more interest in it then. :)

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:55 pm
by BlueFireZ88
Unfortunately I don't know much about Boom or how to edit for it. Though if you know someone who does, I fully endorse a Boom conversion of this wad. :) No strings attached.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:50 pm
by Vertigo
Awesome, I'm super excited to play these maps :D I love old mapsets and the fact that this was an actual commercial product makes it even better~ Now we just need scans of the book ;)

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:45 am
by Gez
BlueFireZ88 wrote:updated version of this classic trilogy with modern MAPINFO conversion [...] No editing has been made what so ever to the original levels.

Average wrote:I like the update. Seems a pity to limit it to ZDoom though. Is it possible to make this Boom compatible? I think you'd get a lot more interest in it then. :)

What exactly do you want Boom to do with MAPINFO? The only Boom feature that can be used outside of level editing itself would be BEX-based string replacement.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 am
by Phobus
Can we have this in .zip format, or am I going to have to go and get WinRAR again?

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 am
by ETTiNGRiNDER
Phobus wrote:Can we have this in .zip format, or am I going to have to go and get WinRAR again?

Get 7zip.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 am
by ReX
BlueFireZ88 wrote:... a book was published which offered three all new episodes for the original Doom. This book is considered rare today...

I have a copy of the book, which is well-written and nicely illustrated. The price label on the back says U.S. $16.99, but I think I got the book & disk for $10 from CompUSA back in 1995. If id Software had done something similar for DooM2 it would have been an instant classic. Well, more of an instant classic than the game turned out to be.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:07 am
by Average
Gez wrote:
BlueFireZ88 wrote:updated version of this classic trilogy with modern MAPINFO conversion [...] No editing has been made what so ever to the original levels.

Average wrote:I like the update. Seems a pity to limit it to ZDoom though. Is it possible to make this Boom compatible? I think you'd get a lot more interest in it then. :)

What exactly do you want Boom to do with MAPINFO? The only Boom feature that can be used outside of level editing itself would be BEX-based string replacement.


I didn't say anything about Boom using MAPINFO. I asked if the wad could be made Boom compatible. I don't know how that would be achieved (I only play Doom and I don't know the intricacies of source port specific inner workings). Maybe it could be done using BEX-based string replacement... :P

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:10 pm
by esselfortium
Vertigo wrote:this was an actual commercial product

I'm pretty sure it's not legal or kosher to post for download, for that reason.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm
by Gez
One would have to contact Chris Klie, Bob Carter and the legal staff of Wiley Coyote to know for sure.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm
by wildweasel
In the meantime, since this is purely a MAPINFO fix, why not just provide it as a patch to those who already own the WAD in question?

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm
by BlueFireZ88
Phobus wrote:Can we have this in .zip format, or am I going to have to go and get WinRAR again?


Zip version: Download at top ^

Still recommend Winrar or something similar.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 pm
by Phobus
I have both it and 7zip on my laptop, but my main PC is still in the phase of having stuff installed as I feel I need it.

In any case .zip is so much more of a standard, and for simple Doom mods it is pretty much all you need.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:18 pm
by Average
I think the original release is up on Id Games if I'm not mistaken. Maybe there's a disclaimer or something with it...