Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 pm

This id for both Hell to Pay and Predition's? IF so, then can you post the patches? I'd like to see them if that's ok.
BlueFireZ88
Fight fire with BlueFire.

Postby CeeJay » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Played through first episode. Some frustrating parts where I did not know where to go or what to do, backtracking several times, and an overabudance of switch-hunts. Still, quality-wise pretty nice.
CeeJay

Postby Average » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:03 pm

I'd like to see those patches too if anyone has a link. :)

BTW: How can you read the text that comes up in between levels just before the next level starts? (PG and HTP)
Average

Postby rockthemike13 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 am

Hah! I remember this book and mapset. Had some pretty awesome ideas in it, I remember being extremely impressed, particularly because this was years before I figured out how to play other peoples wads.

I'd love to play these episodes again at some point. I've been browsing the thread, doesn't seem possible (or legal?) to download them some where? It'd be great nostalgia value.
rockthemike13

Postby CeeJay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 am

Was this published as a commerical product and what year?

Reason I am wondering is because many of the levels, escpecially in episode 2, appeared in Christen David Klie (a.k.a Chris Klie) BF_THUD.WAD which was a non-commercial megawad for Doom 2 released in '95 (and a classic in my opinion). If these so called 'lost episodes' came out after his megawad, that means they recycled already freely available levels for a commerical product. And that is just so wrong. And if it was vice versa, it would mean that he released the levels freely while they were most likely still being sold as the 'lost episode', also wrong.
CeeJay

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:46 pm

rockthemike13 wrote:Hah! I remember this book and mapset. Had some pretty awesome ideas in it, I remember being extremely impressed, particularly because this was years before I figured out how to play other peoples wads.

I'd love to play these episodes again at some point. I've been browsing the thread, doesn't seem possible (or legal?) to download them some where? It'd be great nostalgia value.

Most of the levels in this pack have already been released for free online, check under "External Links" on the Wiki page below. Being that this is a commercial release of these once free levels, that's most likely the only reason this thread hasn't been shut or locked down up to this point. This is the only unofficial Doom expansion that's possible to release here legitimately , everything else is generally off-limits, but depends on what it is.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/The_Lost_Episodes_of_Doom

CeeJay wrote:Was this published as a commerical product and what year?

Reason I am wondering is because many of the levels, escpecially in episode 2, appeared in Christen David Klie (a.k.a Chris Klie) BF_THUD.WAD which was a non-commercial megawad for Doom 2 released in '95 (and a classic in my opinion). If these so called 'lost episodes' came out after his megawad, that means they recycled already freely available levels for a commerical product. And that is just so wrong. And if it was vice versa, it would mean that he released the levels freely while they were most likely still being sold as the 'lost episode', also wrong.

The Lost Episodes of Doom is considered an unlicensed expansion to the original Doom, and being that some of these levels appeared in Doom 2, puts it around 1994. This is also supported as a patch was needed when Ultimate Doom Came out, since the "Thy Flesh Consumed" episode text covered the lower half of the Hell's Gate title.

Sybex published the free maps released by Chris Klie and Bob Carter into the comprehensive book that we know of today. So yeah, they did recycle the levels and published them. Although, while the book does act as a guide for these levels, it's prime selling point is to be a Doom editing guide and shows you how they made these levels.
Last edited by BlueFireZ88 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueFireZ88

Postby Snarboo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Something I've always wanted to see for this wad was custom skies. The default skies sadly don't convey that you're really on Jupiter and it's moons, and eventually in the Great Red Spot itself.
Snarboo
Bacon doesn't know it's not dogs

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Snarboo wrote:Something I've always wanted to see for this wad was custom skies. The default skies sadly don't convey that you're really on Jupiter and it's moons, and eventually in the Great Red Spot itself.

JupiterMSkies.wad

Here's a patch that will add custom skies to each episode. Found these in a sky texture pack on IDGames, at least I think that's where I found them. Each sky was pick to match satellite imagery of each of the Jovian moons and another that feels like the Red Spot which in itself is a giant storm. This patch will be included with the main Jupiter Missions zip download in the first post from now on. This patch is for those who already have it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlueFireZ88

Previous

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects