Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Lost Episodes of Doom (ZDoom Edition) [Release]

Postby Gez » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 pm

On the legal front, I think Doom's user license did not allow commercialization of derivative products, which made Sybex's position iffy itself and the only way in which they would not infringe would be if they argued that they were selling the books to which the WAD files were just a free addon. (Not a rock-solid justification; but it's about the same as selling Action Doom 2 with ZDoom bundled in.)

Anyone has the LICENSE.DOC file from the registered/retail/commercial Doom? It's not part of the Steam packaging version so all I've got access to now is the shareware license (which is different as it simply prohibits all forms of addons) and the source code license (which I'm not sure is the same).
Gez

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Gez wrote:On the legal front, I think Doom's user license did not allow commercialization of derivative products, which made Sybex's position iffy itself and the only way in which they would not infringe would be if they argued that they were selling the books to which the WAD files were just a free addon. (Not a rock-solid justification; but it's about the same as selling Action Doom 2 with ZDoom bundled in.)

Anyone has the LICENSE.DOC file from the registered/retail/commercial Doom? It's not part of the Steam packaging version so all I've got access to now is the shareware license (which is different as it simply prohibits all forms of addons) and the source code license (which I'm not sure is the same).

Is this what your looking for, it's from the Doom 1.9 install. Unfortunately the forums don't allow .doc files, so I copied the text to a .txt file instead.
LICENSE.TXT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlueFireZ88
Fight fire with BlueFire.

Postby Vertigo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 pm

esselfortium wrote:
Vertigo wrote:this was an actual commercial product

I'm pretty sure it's not legal or kosher to post for download, for that reason.

I assume that technically you're right but when a copyright restricts fans playing a product that is impossible to purchase from a retailer (i.e the creators will get no money) then fuck that imo. There is no chance of legal action being taken (can always delete the thread if for some reason it came to that somehow) and I'm sure the authors would be happy to have more people enjoy their product. It's about preserving history.
Vertigo
Psychonaut

Postby Xtyfe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:02 pm

This can not be considered warez when it was uploaded to idgames by the creator himself
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby wildweasel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Xtyfe wrote:This can not be considered warez when it was uploaded to idgames by the creator himself

Where? Got a link? I'm only seeing the Xaser-and-company "fifth episode."
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Xtyfe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Huh, it seems to have been removed since then. I swear on my life that that really happened at some point though.
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Xaser » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Chris Klie re-released his own maps from this as a standalone set at one point, but I don't remember ever seeing the full wad around.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:06 am

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Is this what your looking for, it's from the Doom 1.9 install. Unfortunately the forums don't allow .doc files, so I copied the text to a .txt file instead.
LICENSE.TXT

Thanks, that's it.

Relevant part from the "Grant of License" section:
Code: Select allExpand view
Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may create a map editor, modify maps and
make your own maps (collectively referenced as the "Permitted Derivative
Works") for the Software.  You may not sell or distribute any Permitted
Derivative Works but you may exchange the Permitted Derivative Works at no
charge amongst other end-users.
Gez

Postby Snarboo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 am

Honestly, the book was far better than the included levels. They're not bad, especially for 1995, but reading the level descriptions and design process behind them was far more interesting than playing them.

While I understand that the forums have a clause against posting abandonware, by this point the levels should be freely available to all. Same with Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay, although I feel those suffer in the same way the Lost Episodes do: more interesting to hear about than to play.
Snarboo
Bacon doesn't know it's not dogs

Postby ReX » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 am

Snarboo wrote:Honestly, the book was far better than the included levels. They're not bad, especially for 1995, but reading the level descriptions and design process behind them was far more interesting than playing them.

I agree that the book was much more enjoyable to read through than the levels were to play through.

The book is available in used condition for as low as about US $4.00 (including shipping) from Amazon.com. It's also available new for about US $20 (including shipping).
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Dynamo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 am

Snarboo wrote:Same with Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay, although I feel those suffer in the same way the Lost Episodes do: more interesting to hear about than to play.

Perdition's Gate's levels are extremely small but they're alright. Hell 2 Pay is really fun though.
Dynamo
Gecko on the run

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Speaking of Perdition's Gate or Hell to Pay, would any of you be interested in a MAPINFO patch for those games? Not sure if I can release them fully like I did Lost Episodes, but if's ok to release them fully, I will, but if not, then I just release seperate patches.
BlueFireZ88

Postby Average » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I'd love that! :)
Average

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:08 pm

I'll put those on my to-do list then. I'm still working on other projects, so it might be a while before I start on either.
BlueFireZ88

Postby Xaser » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Someone around here (was it Blzut3?) has done that very thing, actually. I use that patch myself, and it works rather well (fixing the mid-game story texts n' all).
Xaser
anarchivist

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects