[WIP] GZDoom - Tower of Babel

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] GZDoom - Tower of Babel

Post by Ryan Cordell »

disposable_username2 wrote:
Ryan Cordell wrote:But not yet at least. I'd like to get some features out of the way before I'll even consider uploading it as well as the executable.
Ancient excuse used by closed source developers. Either the list of tasks which need to be done before source release perpetually expands or some items from it never get done. I personally don't want another skulltag.
Tough. That's my schedule, the source is out, it's updated, now stop bitching about it and be happy.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Suggestion:

Something to enforce auto-aim. Useful for hitscans that aren't meant to be weapons. For those who are worried enough, then a user overwrite option would suffice (but mod's settings would be top priority).

As to how? I'm not sure. MAPINFO? GAMEINFO? Settable per-weapon/projectile/puff?
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Ehm.. I doubt it. I dislike auto-aim and I don't really think I could see myself supporting it. Sorry. :(

Also, I'll have to recompile and reupload the source once more due to all the changes. Not before I fix the mysterious crash that happens at some points though. Something to do with monsters.
Nash

Post by Nash »

You misunderstand me haha, what I really meant was, something to enforce turning off auto-aim (my example clearly states that). You yourself dislike auto-aim, all the more reason there should be a forced "no auto-aim" so your mod doesn't mess up. ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

How about [wiki=Actor_flags#WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM]WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM[/wiki] then? Or is that too old to be cool and it needs to be implemented anew in a different way? :p
Nash

Post by Nash »

I never knew of that. Does it work on non-weapons?

(If you must know, it's not a weapon - I spawn the hitscan via a forced UseInventory every tic. I'm using it for various line-of-sight/collision checks, for example, this)
Nash

Post by Nash »

It doesn't work with my case, since, as I've said, I'm not spawning my hitscans from weapons. Trying to apply the flag to the item (which was inherited from ArtiEgg) spits out an error on startup. Tried applying it on the puff, still no go.

It's obvious that it won't work anyway, just by seeing the NAME of the flag alone.

So ummm... Ryan. +INVENTORY.NOAUTOAIM I guess? XD Should be easier right?
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Is the spawning done via A_FireBullets or what have you? I'll think about some kind of flag for the function, see if it has any code for autoaiming at all in there.
Otherwise.. this'll be interesting.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah, they are spawned from the inventory item via A_FireBullets. If you're going to fix that, you should do one for A_FireCustomMissile as well.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Tower of Babel is on bit of a hold at the moment. Due to a lightning strike, my laptop and tower were effectively killed. However, hopefully I can get the new RAM and CPU in soon so I can reassemble it and have it be even.. pimpier.

So until then, um.. Stuff.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Did you lose your source files!??!?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I bet he did!!! Even though lightning strikes don't seem to often take out hard drives! :P

(when I suffered the strike last year, none of my data was lost despite half of my network being down for a week or two)
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

Is there any plan for sharing features with (g)ZDoom? Things like no-autoaim options may be equally relevant to both engines, and you'll probably want to keep your work up to date with useful zdoom features as well. If the engines provide independent (and fundamentally different) solutions, it may be hard to synchronise mutually applicable features in the future.

I have no idea how you organise your code, but one thought would be to direct most babel-specific source to separate files, and submit to (g)zdoom any changes made to core/shared features (like A_Fire this and that). Minimise differences in files that exist in both projects.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I think the reason why ToB even exists in the first place is because Graf does NOT want any of this stuff in the official versions... :P
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I suppose "get well soon" would be sort of applicable here.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”