Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DrDoctor

Re: Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Post by DrDoctor »

wolfman wrote:Just beat me to it :lol:
Anyway here's a slight update to accommodate the inclusion of chestbursters.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/51bqnf

-To Ben2k9
When you get the chance please move this link to the front page
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Great job improving the map DrDoctor!! A very scary map indeed!! (and a tought one) The last part IS amazing!!! :)

Will you make more like this, new levels or improve the old ones?
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

UPDATE: REV 04 of the mod is up, new stuff includes: Flares and the Torch from Dr Doctors E3m1 remake, and a couple of bug fixes
http://www.mediafire.com/?54esswxx2agw7ad
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Screenshots please :)
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

I made a standalone version of the mod that should work with updates.
this is NOT the version that I posted in my thread. This version uses the latest gzdoom svn, uses freedoom doom2 with doom1 level-loading, disabled story screens and a few other things. I will post this version in my thread later as the 'superb' version. Anyway you can get it here:
Indirect download: http://code.google.com/p/aliens-doom-tc ... loads/list
direct download: http://aliens-doom-tc-standalone.google ... dalone.zip
Nash

Post by Nash »

Why? :/
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

It seems to me like pretty bad etiquette to plug your own project in someone else's topic, unsolicited. Especially when the goals and implementations are completely different.
Spoiler: To put it more coarsely
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

bump. :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The MBF Dog wrote:bump. :D
What's the point? Just trying to further your own project again?
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Im gonna start working on this again, although the recent Colonial Marines mod is pretty much the dream Aliens mod for me, its everything Ive ever thought an Alies themed TC would be like, however there are still some little tweaks i need like Facehugger deaths, anyone got any ideas how to implement them? (Im talking about a full res image across the screen when they kill you)
ObsessedWithMODs

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

The other thing I would like to see is an update of and changed is the weapons pickup sprites, rather than recycling Justin Fisher's old versions. I already have an idea for this although it involves sprite ripping.

Currently there are new sprites for the Aliens, which is good. Now I forgot which was were still stock Doom sprites but those should be replaced somehow first to make a Total Conversion feel "Total", rather than a "Partial" Conversion. The Original Justin Fisher sprites were okay for his time since he was limited to what he could work with and did not have the luxury or time to continue updating his work.

The only thing I felt look terrible was the Alien Queen which was based on an older version of the action figure from Kenner toys. I saw a new Queen sprite from this thread but I don't know if it's available for public use or not: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29242

New sprites are much needed to replace the regular Doom ammo clips, cell packs (although they are called battery packs in this TC), and maybe also new sprites for the the regular Doom keys, stim packs and medikits.

Also, the Radiation Suits which are renamed EVA Suits or something is out of place and doesn't really serve a real purpose in the TC, replacement sprites or new game mechanics that makes them useful is also something I think should be attempted.

Also if possible try and see if you could update the Sentry Gun units sprites in the next release of your Aliens TC Special Edition to look more closer to the way it looked in these photo shotss:

From the primary access tunnel with a pressure door

Guarding the Complex to stall of any Xenomorph intruders

Here's version that look faithful but it's a 3d polygon model modification someone did for the PC version of the first AvP:

Maybe someone can figure out a way to convert the above sentry gun into a sprite replacement if not try and build it from scratch. The latter is generally quite difficult to do unless they have much experience with sprite work.

Original Source: http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-vs-pre ... -pack-only

Another thing I would also hope to see is a complete replacement for the Doom's double barrel shotgun sprites (HUD+Pickup) with Vriess's Shotgun in Alien Resurrection.

It's the only "double barreled" known to been used or existed in the alien movies. Just an "alien" themed Super Shotgun sprite replacement is what I am suggesting here.
Spoiler:
That way all the sprites for the weapons in doom would have been entirely replaced with a full "Alien" theme (except maybe for the fist, although it makes very little sense to "Punch" Aliens to death unless the marine you are using is a Combat Synthetic or Cyborg.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

that queen isnt finished, ive got an idea for a new queen to use the one from alien trilogy, however that only has front facing sprites.

The arsenal is good as it is, theres no need for another shotgun as the one in my TC is already considerably more powerful than the standard doom one (it can take down drones in one shot), this is supposed to be a survival horror themed TC not an all out assault. If anything the only "weapon" im eventually going to add is the plasma cutter. I tried implementing a motion tracker but it didnt work.

Im still working on the Predator class and now class specific items have been added I can fully realise it.

Drone guns may be changed later but it means spriting from scratch.
ObsessedWithMODs

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

Ben2k9 wrote:that queen isnt finished, ive got an idea for a new queen to use the one from alien trilogy, however that only has front facing sprites.

I realized that.

Actually never mind, the new queen sprite used in the Remixed version of the Derelict Spacecraft map contains new sprites for the Queen. It looks incredibly terrifying. It was also recycled for the current 2012 Revision of Deimos Anomaly's Colonial Marines WAD, should be fairly simple to implement in the next update your Aliens TC SE WAD.
Ben2k9 wrote:The arsenal is good as it is, theres no need for another shotgun as the one in my TC is already considerably more powerful than the standard doom one (it can take down drones in one shot), this is supposed to be a survival horror themed TC not an all out assault.
Sorry, for the misunderstanding what I meant is that by adding replacement sprites for the Doom II's double barrel shotgun with one based on (if not looking exactly) like a double barrel seen in the 4th Alien film (only one that had a double barrel).

I meant then it would mean all the "regular" doom weapons , both sprites and pickups are completely replaced, leaving nothing leftover that is Doom. No leftover "stock" Doom sprites or total elimination of them is what I was trying to say.

In no way am I implying or insisting a second shotgun be added to the current set of maps, etc., If you thought I was then, I am sorry that is a complete misunderstanding. Although I suppose it's possible to implement something like that if I convert or edit the maps and the WAD for Doom II use.

A new set of Double Barrel (Super Shotgun) sprites would be nice for any future "up to current standards" Doom WADs that has been Alien-themed or influenced. And a futuristic looking double-barrel would look better than the stock sawed-off shotgun from Doom II.

Also I just thought of something since you wanted balance in the gameplay, maybe you can try and implement something like this:

If it's based on Vriess's Double Barrel Shotgun and since it was a collapsible and concealable one, maybe you can implement code from Hexen which requires the player to find and locate all of that shotgun's parts before it could be used?

Would be a very interesting mechanic, although not entirely original. Since Hexen already have something like that implemented in the past- The player must locate like 3-4 parts of their 4th and yet most powerful weapon in their arsenal.

Also regarding elimination of stock Doom sprites for Alien themed WADs I was kinda working on something like extracting Pistol and Shotgun sprites from an older version of Deimos's Colonial Marines WAD and as well as the Player Marine's Sprites from his current ACM wads to make a separate WAD file that could be used with the older Alien themed Wads found in
the idgames archives, making them feel more complete or "total" rather "partial". I won't release them obviously unless all those involved says it's NDB, etc.,.. etc.,.. as I can Not claim any credit to them.
Ben2k9 wrote:If anything the only "weapon" im eventually going to add is the plasma cutter. I tried implementing a motion tracker but it didnt work.
What do you mean by Plasma Cutter? Are you trying to say the Predator's Plasma Caster (shoulder cannon)?

Have you tried and see if you could use the Motion Tracker from the Foxtrot Uniform mod? What about a Shoulder Lamp instead of the flashlight?

Even the current flashlight did not look anything like it did in the second movie, sorry for the nitpicking, but I was just saying. The effects and mechanics are fine.

Another thing I would love to see implemented is the Hand Welder. A working one that not only allows the player to "Cut" open doors, grates, etc.,.. but also allow you to "Weld some thing Shut" since AvP2's version of that handheld torch only allowed cutting but No Welding :(

Also the other thing I felt should be updated is the Pistol, Pulse Rifle and Smartgun all sharing the same Ammunition type. This made very little sense, although I suppose it should be fairly easy to fix.

A new Smartgun pickup is also something I would like to see. What happened to the Alien Trilogy Sprites-rip of their Smartgun? I mean you have it for the Flamethrower, Shotgun, Pulse Rifle, but no Alien Trilogy sprite-rip of the Smartgun pickup?
Ben2k9 wrote:Drone guns may be changed later but it means spriting from scratch.
As for the sentry units, it's kinda tricky to sprite it like the way it looks in the films. I have no graphic design or spriting background, but if someone can teach me maybe I can use what I've learned to update those Sentry Guns sprites to look like it did in the second movie.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

I meant the hand welder yes. The Predator already has a fully working Plasmacaster.

the torch was taken from the Alien Ship redux, I havnt edited the sprites in anyway. The reason I havnt included a shouldermounted flash light is simple - it requires ACS coding for custom keyboard controls and I dont know how to code ACS.

All the weapons bar the fist and super shotgun (which isnt in doom 1) have alien trilogy sprites so I dont know what you mean when you say replace the stock doom weapons? I already have... As for the super shotgun idea....lots of custom spriting, besides, Alien Resurrection is crap, it was set like 50 years after the original 3 films, and has no place in the arsenal concerning the Aliens film plot.

I used a crappy rip of the weapons pickup sprites and im still not happy with them, they will be replaced with either custom sprites or better rips from the games. I personally think Justin Fishers smartgun pickup is perfectly acceptable as well...

The idea of this mod was to still use his TC as a base to honor his work, Ive changed a lot of fundemental aspects of it already and to completely go down the route of totally replacing everything detracts from the overall classic nature of the wad. There already is a full Aliens total conversion based on my work, its amazing, brilliant, everything i imagined a doom aliens wad should be, however, this is the one that started it all and my changes still hold true to the original. I still find this damn scary, and its simpleness is what makes it work, im pretty sure the 1999 version of AVP was inspired by justins work...
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

By the way, where is the latest version for download?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”