Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Tragos

Re: Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Post by Tragos »

Aliens Trilogy looked pretty awful on PC compared to it's playstation counterpart. Nice job on the cleanup. I didn't say anything because I assumed it would be cleaned up and I was right. :D
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

wow sweet! I should probiby add them in :)
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Never actually played through the original Aliens TC, just took a quick peek at the first level then quit. But i did play through all of this. And i must say wow this is one helluva good wad! I just LOVE fast melee monsters, and hate to dodge millions of projectiles :P . This was like the best example of that made for doom. Many of the maps were really genious for being a wad that was made at its time. The Decorated versions of the monsters worked really well too. I did run out of ammo really often, and ran out of them again and again AND AGAIN AND AGAIN after each "give ammo" cheat on HMP.

You should fix the sky though, its just nasty.

I enjoyed it a lot, I don't really know what all you changed and stuff, but it seems like the monsters had pretty good behaviour and stuff. You probably did a good job :P
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

ammo is supposed to be scarce but you shouldnt have ran out of ammo....E2M3 you're supposed to shut the doors and conserve a lot of ammo, the rest there should be a fair amount to ge you through the level. Sometimes you dont have to take the direct route, thats what i loved about the original level design, he really made the maps unique and when you got a key it opened the map up exponentially
Raz

Post by Raz »

Good lord, this is excellent, about 10x more difficult and terrifying than the original. I can only play it in short bursts otherwise I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I disagree with most of the people here in that I think it's better without the speech, I always thought that was a bit cheesey and the sense of isolation is stronger now. You should probably put the "WE ARE LEAAAAVINNNNG!" sample back on the map screen though, that was great.

I've uploaded a music wad I used with the original with a few tracks from the first two films on it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bpywof which you might be able to make some use of. It isn't TOO massive at 35mb. And there's some AVP2 textures already converted for doom here http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml

Really though I agree with Sodaholic, with the ambient sounds it doesn't need any.

Also I lolled when I selected the fist and Ripley's delicate arms were replaced with the Doomguy's big hairy ones
DrDoctor

Post by DrDoctor »

Some time ago I contemplated remaking the drone sprites to for a Realm667 submission, I did make some sprites but lost interest over time.
dronedraft.png
If you want, I could finish them and let you use them in your mod. Once the full sheet is done I could also edit them into the warrior type.I might consider remaking the queen, but I'd have to base the sprites off a Revoltech figure that I have since the model used for the current sprites are totally inaccurate (I'm assuming they they were based on the old Kenner toy)
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Please finish that alien! It's absolutely gorgeous.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

that is a NICE spritesheet!
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Cool Xenomorph!
Xim

Post by Xim »

Yeah, that'd be awesome to see completed.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

ok, Im currently in the proccess of Rev 02 of this mod, gone is the aweful sky and clouds, ive added a proper LV426 BG, im fixing a few bugs as well, as for textures....should I replace them all with AvP ones? what are peoples feelings on this? is it right to change a fundemental design aspect like textures?

EDIT: Also uploaded a music wad, using the Aliens soundtack

http://www.sendspace.com/file/96lulu
Last edited by Virtue on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I think it's fine to use the AVP textures... I've always thought that Doom textures kinda broke the immersion a little, even in the original TC.

Also... speech? :P
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Yes please!!! :D

And DrDoctor.... ¡finish those sprites! Amazing work :)
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

added a new soundtrack wad!
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Can I request that the mapinfo is modified so that episode 1 and 4 don't appear in the list? I think that would be a good idea so no Doom episodes are there. (after all, this is an TC)

Do you think that the speech could be implemented as an optional wad? Just have the objects in the regular maps, but have them play blank sounds, and the extra wad would replace the blank sounds with dialogue?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”