Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Funky Gnoll

Re: Brutal Doom v0.8

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Awesome mod, though I do have some suggestions and issues to point out:

-The kick doesn't seem to benefit from berserk, nor does it "autofire" like the fist's primary attack.
-The kick impact becomes a chaingun firing sound if you kick with the chaingun equipped.
-The Lost Soul fatality is very easy to hurt oneself with, especially if there's a lot of them around. Hilarious, though!
-Having the Pain Elemental do splash damage on death seems unnecessary, given the Lost Soul's increased aggression at close range (or did you not do that?).
-Bullet boxes don't seem to add to my ammo...
-Chaingun guy's fatality should have him shout when you deliver the finishing blow... :twisted:
-BFG shouldn't have splash damage, at least not to the player, IMO.
-Berserk "right hook" feels awkward to use, since it's so slow to come out. Perhaps more of the delay should be after the punch?
-The extra smoke and flames can make it difficult to actually see what's going on in a heated firefight.
-Sometimes monsters seem to take damage and die from the different gore effects... is that what's going on?
-Some of the monsters can hurt themselves, now that most ranged attacks have splash damage.
-The constant liquid "slosh" when actors are moving about in water/nukage/whatever gets VERY annoying.
-Monster infighting is AWESOME now!! :D
-If you have Berserk, you should be able to skip straight to the fists instead of waiting for the chainsaw's ready animation to finish.

Can't wait to see what's next!
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

I noticed (at least in the Skulltag version) that you have edited out the Skulltag weapons (Mostly the Grenade launcher, Railgun and the BFG10k, having 2 Miniguns are redundant, not sure of the BFG10k, though.) Are you waiting on new sprites for the Grenade Launcher and the Railgun? (Since you have the code for both weapons in the "Gunsguns" Decorate lump, but no new sprites.)
SFJake

Post by SFJake »

Just a balance thing I wanted to get opinions about...

Isn't killing Barons with the SSG in one head shot a bit... too strong? I love the idea I can use headshots to kill a baron with a weaker gun, but 1000 HP in one shot is just crazy :P
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

SFJake wrote:Just a balance thing I wanted to get opinions about...

Isn't killing Barons with the SSG in one head shot a bit... too strong? I love the idea I can use headshots to kill a baron with a weaker gun, but 1000 HP in one shot is just crazy :P
I dunno, A close-range blast from a sawed off Double-barrel shotgun tends to make a mess of things, doesn't seem all that far-fetched... at least in my opinion.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

A close range blast from any shotgun will make a mess of things!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Also, make the Rifle more accurate? Why? Did you tried aiming down the sights with alt-fire? It just gets into a perfect aim at any shoot.
I know. It's still a problem.

Rifle: Fumble around for altfire key. Get momentarily disoriented with change in zoom. Re-acquire target. Track. Lead. Point. Shoot.

MP40: Acquire target. If necessary, take a couple steps forward so you won't miss with the super-narrow cone of fire. Point. Shoot.

Result: Considerably lower DPS for the rifle within 2 degrees of where you're pointing.

Personally I actually kinda find the runhealth kinda helpful when it forces me to slow down and stop running into enemy shots. But I'm probably just weird/attention-deficient that way. :V

Re chainsaw: It would be nice not to have to wait for that startup when all you wanted was the fist. Maybe make it so that it doesn't start up unless you hit (alt)fire?

And y'know, one thing that struck me about this mod... it actually brought me back to how I felt when I first started playing Doom. Dude, that's saying a frickin' lot.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

One thing I noticed is that when I warped to E3M8 of Ultimate Doom.. I killed the Baron instead of the spider mastermind and it ended the level.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Holy Crap! :shock:

Places for improvement:

-Rifle sprites are off, and overall its really slow; wish that it was a tad faster since now its loose. no rifle sniping = needs buff.
also, you can do an infinite number of reloads with this weapon.
-Shotgun reload looks bad, but passible. also, it would be nice if it had a secondary of some sort;
a.) pump and load a slug, then zoom for the shot
b.) loads alternate ammo (explosive, shock, something)
c.) rifle butt (does alot of knockback, and damage)
-Cant Reload Double Barrel after firing a single shell.
-melee feels op; but thats just me. maybe there should be a knife or a brass knuckles upgrade doing the current damage.
-minigun should have windup, but faster fire.
-plasma rifle secondary is awesome, BUT, its very very loud.

I have to say, this is what i was looking for in a mod. more explosions, more blood, cooler guns, similar/harder difficulty. moreover, i have always wanted to tear out a cacodemons eye! that was AWESOME!

please for the love of God, keep working on this!! :P
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

More thoughts about shotgunguy/chaingunguy:

I've played a few maps I haven't touched in a while and been blindsided by various numbers of both.

If I'm blindsided by more than one shotgunguy, unless I'm closer to 200/200 than I am to 100/0 I'm dead.

If I'm blindsided by 2-5 chaingunguys, it's a minor inconvenience unless I'm already at low health.

Compared to the boosts given to every other monster (except maybe the caco) I think the chaingunguys should be beefed up - and the berserk pack drops made a bit more reliable.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Ok, i give up. i cant find the fucking code for the clipbox to try and fix the problem... THEY DONT GIVE ANY AMMO! :evil:
please fix this; i cant find it, i give up.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Maybe I will able to release a SVN test with all the fixes yet today.
I fixed every bug repported, and added a fatality for the Mancubus.

I noticed (at least in the Skulltag version) that you have edited out the Skulltag weapons (Mostly the Grenade launcher, Railgun and the BFG10k, having 2 Miniguns are redundant, not sure of the BFG10k, though.) Are you waiting on new sprites for the Grenade Launcher and the Railgun? (Since you have the code for both weapons in the "Gunsguns" Decorate lump, but no new sprites.)
In 0.7 players where suposed to have the ST weapons by killing some enemies, i removed them, and just forgot to remove their DECORATE :D

Isn't killing Barons with the SSG in one head shot a bit... too strong? I love the idea I can use headshots to kill a baron with a weaker gun, but 1000 HP in one shot is just crazy
A close range blast from any shotgun will make a mess of things!
This.

Also, getting close enough to instakill a Baron with a SSG headshoot, is a very dangerous thing, since you will be exposed to an insta-death risk if the baron uses a triple special attack in close range. I think this is enough to keep the things ballanced.

chainsaw: It would be nice not to have to wait for that startup when all you wanted was the fist. Maybe make it so that it doesn't start up unless you hit (alt)fire?
Not a bad idea, but I think it will confuse some people.

b.) loads alternate ammo (explosive, shock, something)
c.) rifle butt (does alot of knockback, and damage)
There were an alternate ammo for Shotgun (Dragonbreath Incendiary Shells) in earlier versions, but it was so buggy. Also, the Rifle already uses it's alt-fire funcion to aim down the sights.

The 4shared link is working fine for me, but if anybody is having problems with it, Mr Chris at the Doomworld forums uploaded a mirror for it:

Skulltag:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f852wz7xz5a14z8

GZDoom:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gl6qvo5jmromf8o
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Okay, so I tried out this mod again, and holy crap, it is awesome.

Everything about this mod is so damn awesome. Performing fatalities on enemies is fucking satisfying, and the rocket launcher... it's. SO. EPIC.
Somethings I noticed:

When killing enemies that stand under a open door, the ceiling splats get stuck on several different points of the door.

The barons and hell knights are fucking DANGEROUS. Not in the bad sense, though, it's more in the line of bad-ass kind of dangerous. I was completely shocked the first time I ran into a baron with berserk thinking "DIE MOTHERFUCKER DIE!" and then, just like that, he RIPS YOU UP COMPLETELY! It was just as awesome as it was shocking.

Monsters seem to lose large quantities of their health from their own projectiles. Hell, I even got a group of mancubuses tear themself apart by doing so.

And for that matter, why do you hurt yourself when firing with a hitscan weapon e.g. the shotgun?

Maybe make the chainsaw more prone to cut things in half? I find it somewhat strange that it's mor possible to happen with the minigun than the chainsaw.

Dunno if it's a bug, but on one map, specifically map03 of Fragport, after doing a certain amount of fatalities, the game crashed. I managed to do so on two entirely different enemies, and the game would crash.

Are all enemies eventually get sprites for fatalities?

That's all right now, so I'll just go back and play some more Brutal Doom.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Doomhuntress wrote: And for that matter, why do you hurt yourself when firing with a hitscan weapon e.g. the shotgun?
That only happens you're close to a wall: The puffs have a small amout of splash damage
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, i downloaded it again, and ammo boxes still dont give ammo, and the secondary for plasma is still obscenely loud. this is for both the gzdoom and the skulltag links you gave. Absolutely game breaking

im sure you'll get to it eventually; keep up the good work.
Hellstorm Archon

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Just finished playing the mod, and I must say, sir, this is absolutely badass.

A couple of suggestions concerning fatalities:

Mancubus- the player jumps on top of the Mancubus, rips off its left arm cannon, then bashes the fat bastard's skull in with the cannon.

Arachnotron- the player hops on the spider, grabs its cannon, rams it into the Arachno's head, gets off the Arachnotron, then you get to watch as the cannon explodes inside the Arachnotron's head.

Pain Elemental- the player jumps onto the Elemental, tears off its right horn and drills it into the PE's eye, then tears off its left horn, forces the PE to eat it, then explodes as it bleeds to death, just as the player jumps off.

Archvile- the player kicks the Archie in the right knee, it drops down to its knees, then the player delivers a devastating full-force uppercut to the chin, decapitating the Archvile.

Spider Mastermind- the Mastermind kicks up the player with one of its legs, rips the player in half with its arms, then it forces both parts of the player into its mouth, having the player for a snack.

Cyberdemon- the Cybie picks up the player with its right hand, squeezes the player into a bloody pulp, then throws what's left of the layer on the ground, leaves it there for a second or two, then squashes the player's bloody corpse with its mechanical leg.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”