Brütal Doom v0.18

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Brutal Doom v0.8

Post by wildweasel »

Big C wrote:-Taunt alerts enemies. Probably not bugs. Too amusing to remove.
I advise leaving this the way it is, heh. I added a taunt to wwhc-diaz specifically for the purpose of alerting everything in the room, since the fists are silent. =P
Big C

Post by Big C »

That makes sense. The point of taunting someone is ostensibly to goad them into attacking at a disadvantage, right? :P

Why did you get rid of the Dragon's Breath rounds from the early versions, anyway?

Also, the chainsaw still makes grinding noise when used on water.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

While the utter terror of the sarges was fun in its own way, it's nice to see them rebalanced.

I've found this album oddly fitting for this mod. Possibly because the thought came to me right in the middle of a chainsaw rampage on track 18.

I don't know what happened, but somehow when playing Map07 the platform that raises to let you reach the switch raised twice as high as it should.

After dying in Map08 I'm starting to agree with a previous commenter who said that the self-hurting BFG was a bad idea... a lot of maps rely on near-point-blank BFG shots but otherwise run with this mod just fine.

As for taunts, I thought that was the idea. :D
Big C

Post by Big C »

I also had trouble with Map07, although my problem is that when I killed the Mancubi the platform didn't lower. (One of the Mancubi had a "soft" death where it just slumped dead instead of having flesh messily slough off, maybe that has something to do with it.)

Also, the berserk fatality for the Revenant was epic. :D

...Can we have a chainsaw sideswipe altfire that decapitates if you land a headshot with it?

EDIT: More bugs!

-Disembodied heads have height values, apparently, and thus can block your progress if they're in a 64 unit high hallway.
-In GZDoom's enhanced night vision mode, wallsplatter is not illuminated like the floor/ceilingsplatter is. This is probably a side effect of the engine, unfortunately, as the floor/ceiling splats are 3D models and wallsplats are decals or something.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

@ Big C, thanks for the bug repports. I will work on them. And yes, taunting is supposed to alert them. I got rid of the Dragonbreath ammo because it was bugging so much. I don't know how to remove the grinding noise when hitting the watter =/
And it doesn't needs an alt sidwipe attack to decaptate enemies. Just use the chainsaw at their heads :D
And for the Enhanced Night Vision mode bug, I gave up trying to support it a long time ago. Pretty hard to know what it does mark as shinny, and what not.

@Vaecrius, but the problem with the BFG Ball is, with such a big explosion, it's just weird to have no splash damage at all.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I got annoyed with the super powered BFG as well, I mean sure it's nice to have but it can be really irritating when in closed spaces and using it against groups of big monsters or against one big monster.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

I'd just like to state, for the record, that playing this with Memento Mori (1 & 2) feels just right, and I am having an absolute blast.
Of course, how much of that is because of this mod and how much is because of the brilliant mapping is up to you to decide. ;)

Also, are you planning to make any fatalities for monster infighting? I'd like to see imps and zombies getting chewed in half by pinkies too. :P
Big C

Post by Big C »

I just played some Memento Mori with this mod and I concur with Ethril.

The first map is a toughie, though. Lotsa shotgunners and not a huge amount of ammo until maybe the end or so.

Also, this mod + http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16255 = SO METAL IT HURTS.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Re: Brutal Doom v0.9

0.9 is released. Check the first post.

@Ethril, I will think about it. This idea sounds pretty cool.
Vict

Re: Brutal Doom v0.9

Post by Vict »

What did you change with the HUD? There isn't one anymore...

The only option is an extremely shrunk down status bar.

EDIT: Also, small balancing suggestion:

How about lowering the amount of shells held in the shotgun's magazine to 6 or 8? More frequent reloading would be balanced by speedier reloading, and 12 shells when you can carry any extra 50 is a bit much to have in reserve.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Re: Brutal Doom v0.9b

An emergency bugfix version has been uploaded at the first post. I fixed the HUD problem, and a bug making player lose the ammo loaded in the plasma gun when switching weapons. If anyone uses the classic Doom HUD, download the separated file with the ammo counter fix (but this patch removes the Zdoom hud). Also, regeneration is made in a separated module too.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Dr. Crushcup

Post by Dr. Crushcup »

You, sir, are a Doom wizard. And to think that people were complaining about the graphic and violent nature of Doom back in 1994...

I couldn't believe the carnage I was able to unleash when I began playing this. It's almost like an all-new game, even when I just use it with the original Doom IWADs.
Outstanding.
Vict

Post by Vict »

Hm, perhaps another suggestion?

Instead of that cascading blood effect when you decapitate an enemy with a powerful head shot, how about making it into a average sized splash instead? It can be hard to appreciate the shot itself when the enemy and the flying bits are masked by a large flowing wave of pixelated blood. Would be less system intensive and would draw attention to the detailed bits flying through the air.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I have a few suggestions that I think would make this mod alot better, and add realism:

How about blood (for all monsters) on your hands after you punch a monster or after a fatality?
It also looks like the bullet casings at some points just pop out of the air instead of the gun (especially through the iron sights) could you fix that? Also, could you add more detail to the bullet casings, and make the animations for the casings smooth, like beautiful doom's bullet casings?
For the shotgun, reloading AND IRONSIGHTS?
Blood/sparks should not be visible on a liquid serface, could you fix that?
for Super shotgun, iron sights?
For chainsaw, I really don't think the blood should disapear like that (kinda like shadow warrior) sound interesting?
And after you fire 2 shots for shotgun, and hit the reload button it only reloads 1 shell, how about fixing that?
And add smoke affects for all guns?
And one last thing: this is a great mod :D
Vict

Post by Vict »

Zombieguy wrote: And add smoke affects for all guns?
Well, the issue with that would be the potential frame rate murder of having smoke effects pour out of weapons....

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”