[WIP] Shooting Monsters With TEXTURES, N

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Re: [WIP] Shooting Monsters With TEXTURES

Post by Kate »

The one with the texture enemies, like the SHAWN2 boss.

Edit: Anyway, to get back on topic, getting the updated version now.. Hmm the smooth reloading animation for the SSG is weird, I dare say the doom guy's hand moves way too fast to look natural.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Pretty frickin' sweet.

Is it just me or does anyone else keep confusing which button does which and kinda wishes altfire was just "switch weapon"?
phi108

Post by phi108 »

I admit I haven't gotten good at using these weapons yet ( I need to play it more), and it can get confusing and quirky (especially the complex SSG+SG). Using the Alt-fire as a quick switch of hands might be best, with the fire button for shooting the centered weapon. I might make the centering of the off-hand shotgun and pistol faster, due to their lightness.

A couple changes I forgot to list:
-The chaingun trigger is more responsive in it's wind-down animation
-The Revenant's shootable area is now taller, corresponding with the sprite (thanks to a heashot actor hack that still allows it to fit in short sectors).
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I'm having fun with this mod. It's simple, but definitely a refreshing way to play Doom with their stock graphics. Are you going to be doing anything with the chainsaw, fist and BFG9000?
phi108

Post by phi108 »

I'll probably just try a 3 punch combo for the fist, though I wish I could do an uppercut. The 10 foot chainsaw edit is tempting, but I might want to try to put together a sword-saw thing, and maybe see if I can do some advanced boss takedowns with it.

And I think the BFS, Barrel For Spamming, will work: A BFG-like main fire, and the alt-fire button will add ammo types to the gun until you can spam plasma,rockets, shells, and clips at once.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Sounds really awesome. I can't wait to see you implement these things into the mod. :)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Really fun mod, this is. Simple, yet so refreshing.
BTW, I fund some odd kind of bug in this mod. When meeting with some Lost Souls for, some odd reason, their sprites keep changing from black to white:
This fella turned powder white...
This fella turned powder white...
Screenshot_Doom_20101216_183226.JPG (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
... while this fella turned black and shrunk.
... while this fella turned black and shrunk.
Screenshot_Doom_20101216_183134.JPG (39.36 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
phi108

Post by phi108 »

I noticed that too. The black/dark translucent soul is a "Lost Shadow" that I'll probably throw out, they're annoying. The grey/white soul is some error in the normal lost sould frames, I think, that happens in GZDoom. I guess it might be a DECORATE renderstyle modification that causes it or something, I'll try to fix it.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Vaecrius wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else keep confusing which button does which and kinda wishes altfire was just "switch weapon"?
Or a "wield" button that can do three things:

Press once when 1 weapon is out: Bring up second weapon
Press while 2 weapons are out: switch between weapons
Press & hold whilst 2 weapons are out: holster second weapon

Putting it on a key could free up the right mouse button for an altfire for each weapon, or reloading, etc.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

amv2k9 wrote:Putting it on a key could free up the right mouse button for an altfire for each weapon, or reloading, etc.
Or whatever other button/key you have AltFire on. Let's not be control bigots, now! :P

This looks pretty fun, but my vote goes to dual-wielding the same weapon type. I wanna blast demons with twin Chainguns! :twisted:
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Hey, I got two questions for ya:

1. I know this is probably a long shot and most likely goes against the whole point of this mod but would you be able to somehow implement the smoother weapon animations patch into the mod?

2. Wouldn't it be better for the Super Shotgun be paired up with the chaingun? It seems a bit redundant having the shotgun be paired up with it.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

I was wanting to add the smoother weapon sprites to this mod but I wanted to get weapon mechanics working with Iwad stuff first. I'll try to do that soon for a "maximum kilobytes" version. I think I'll also try an angled chaingun edit for hip-firing.

And my excuse for the SSG/chaingun (aside from the lazy "weapon balance") is that this marine is right-handed, without the strength to handle the SSG or chaingun in the left hand effectively (even though Vanilla Doomguy punches and pistols with the left...). But maybe the berserk, invulnerability, and/or other powerups could give you some more strength for that, and it would also be cool to add an akimbo powerup like in Blood, allowing the dual chainguns and the rest...

And here is a quick new version, with a few changes:
-SSG 2nd shot is more intuitive, not firing if the trigger isn't held at that moment.
-Chaingun translation fix
-Tweaks and fixes
-Less pistol shots per burst, but almost no damage randomization. The primary firing shoots 2 shots at a time quickly if you tap the trigger, and less accurate 3 round bursts slowly if you hold the trigger. 3-round burst kills a zombiemen and 2 taps to take out a seargent. I might just remove the 3rd shot. (Not finished for all off-hand pistols)

Download: SMWIwadL.pk3: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... wiwadl.pk3
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Berserker making it possible to dual weild?! I think I like that!
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

I'm not so sure about dual wielding the same weapon being a powerup; What if I'm in a situation that would be best handled with the chaingun/shotgun combo, but I still have berserk?
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

One thing I noticed in the next-to-newest version of SMWT; when you have the super shotgun & Shotgun out, the shotgun has infinite ammo; you can continue to fire shells when the ammo count is at zero, but just with the shotgun; not with the super shotty, and not when you have the shotgun in combo with another weapon such as the pistol. Was that fixed?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”