Mr. Hoppington's Shape Search - A Kid's Doom mod (release!)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
lizardcommando

Re: Mr. Hoppington's Shape Search - A Kid's Doom mod (releas

Post by lizardcommando »

Here it is guys, Mr. Hoppington's Shape Search. I didn't have time to make a video of it, but it'll come by the end of the week.

The objective of this mod is to collect three shapes: a red square, blue circle and yellow triangle. Once you collect them, you can press the middle switch to lower a platform, allowing you to collect the special prize to win the game.

I probably won't do much with this mod anymore. I'm going to use the textures for the Exterminator mod as a part of a texture pack for it. Anyways, go check it out here.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... search.zip
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Consider killing the exit sound. Nobody wants to hear the Archvile laugh when leaving...! (and loading this with Doom 2 as a PWAD)
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Oh yeah, I knew I forgot something... Thanks for the suggestion. So how do you change those sounds?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Code: Select all

$random menu/quit1 { player/male/death1 demon/pain grunt/pain misc/gibbed misc/teleport grunt/sight1 grunt/sight3 demon/melee }
$random menu/quit2 { vile/active misc/p_pkup brain/cube misc/gibbed skeleton/swing knight/death baby/active demon/melee  }
are randomised sound definitions that you can find in sndinfo. So you can redefine them in your own sndinfo.

I'd also suggest looking at the door sounds and things like the player wall-use sounds (etc) which seemed out of place.
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

It would be better if there was more levels.
I could do some if you want.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

You're welcome to make more levels if you like. The thing is that this project is due on Friday so I don't know if you'd be able to whip out a level within that time frame.
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

I'll try to.
Also, if you like a certain style of map (village, labyrinth...) just tell me.
/ edit But you'll have to tell me what config you use, because that's all i got:
Attachments
WTF.png
WTF.png (136.63 KiB) Viewed 624 times
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Cool. If you can get it done by Friday or before, that would be awesome.

I originally intended for this to have at least three levels, then I realized how long it would actually take for me to make the maps. It took me two weeks to make the first one... The only other levels I thought up were a tropical island type level (basically the home of that swimming trunks-clad monkey) and a snow level (there was going to be a penguin kid you talk to on that level). You might be able to make the tropical island level with the limited resources I have so far, but I don't think a snow level's going to be possible to make due to the limited resources.

BTW, the config is ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format.

One more thing, when you complete a level, I don't want it to go to the Level complete screen. It just needs to go to the Intermission screen and have some short message saying something along the lines of "You found my friends! Unfortunately, they got lost again while taking a walk. Please find them for me."
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

Here's my try, but the lack of textures and sprites makes it very hard.
Attachments
WTF.jpg
WTF.jpg (248.62 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Argh! This is quite frustrating. I could probably whip up a nice little map for this in an afternoon and I'd like to have a go. I even have the start of some ideas for puzzles. However, I can't do any mapping ATM. :?

Oh, and in the original/only map in the game so far, a fence texture around the pond to explain why you can't walk into the water would make sense to me.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Oh hey! That's a pretty cool map! I like it so far. I will try to get some assorted greenery or wood textures. Just make sure you have all of the shapes in the map. Also, make sure it's easy enough for a little kid to play. Don't forget that SKILL 1 and 2 has to have the coins to guide players to those shapes. ;)
Enjay wrote:Oh, and in the original/only map in the game so far, a fence texture around the pond to explain why you can't walk into the water would make sense to me.
I was going to use one of the fence textures I had. I think it was a cartoonified version of MIDSPACE, but it looked too menacing.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm sure with your skills you could come up with a simple fence... something like this perhaps?

lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ooh, good stuff. I guess it won't hurt to try to make it. However, I'm not really sure how to put it into the map. Do I just give the linedefs between the water and the grass the new fence texture? I need some help with that.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

You just place the fence texture as the MIDDLE line texture (Don't forget both sides), then set the offsets so the texture touches the ground, Using 3D mode helps.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Mikk- wrote:then set the offsets so the texture touches the ground
Or set the lines to be lower unpegged and the texture will sit on the floor with offset 0 anyway.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”