[Contest] Doom Mutator Contest 2!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [Contest] Doom Mutator Contest 2!

Post by Jimmy »

Here's a little teaser for what I've got coming up.
Spoiler:
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

wildweasel wrote:http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... utator.pk3 - Early half-done version of my mutator, Style Mod. Only four weapons present (RL, Plasma, and BFG have yet to be replaced).

The concept: all the weapons have infinite ammo. But in order to make the absolute most of them, you have to use some of your Style Points (alt-fire). You can get more Style Points from enemies, or from picking up a pair of Stylish Shades (replaces the Chainsaw). I'm especially proud of some of the Textures tricks I've been pulling here - particularly the Stylish Shades. (There are no additional sprites at all in the PK3 file. The shades were created by pasting a single pixel from one of Doom 2's textures, over and over again, for every single pixel!)
For a work-in-progress, that's pretty friggin' clever shit! The weapons look great, too!
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

FireStarter
Nothing substantial, just one weapon. Lights a firebomb and tosses it. Any enemies in the blast will be set on fire, and they'll possibly set any enemies they get near on fire. No pickup replacements (or even a pickup sprite), so you'll have to "give firestarter" from the console. It's not a "serious" weapon, so I didn't bother to have it use ammunition, and it can't hurt the player.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

A simple mod that addresses two primary issues with Doom. First, ammo is annoying. Second, it was possible to win.

I'll elaborate on the good news first. Weapons don't take ammo anymore. And they fire faster. This, however, is just because of...

The bad news. Enemies spawn more of themselves when they die. This means that you can't stop to take in the scenery or bother trying to get 100% kills. (or 100% at all, really.) This is because you'll be too busy running for your life from an ever-increasing army from Hell. They don't spawn instantly, though. They do so over time, and eventually stop. Then again, every spawned one that dies just starts over again. So I suggest haste.

Download: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... ne-r36.pk3

For extra fun, play on Nightmare!
Last edited by DavidPH on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

And here is my entry, dubbed simply "Omega". 8-)

THIS IS AN OLD VERSION, GO TO PAGE 8 FOR THE LATEST
j-omega.wad
(88.58 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Spoiler: EDIT: Screenshots
Please take the time needed to read through this rundown of the new gameplay: it's kinda complex, but here goes nothing...
  • The first thing you'll notice is a bunch of colored bars in the top right-hand corner of the new HUD. These are your Omega reserves - Omega being the equivalent of Mana or Chi or whatever you like. There are four types: yellow, green, red and blue, and you use these to attack.
  • You are placed in the role of a nigh-indestructible demigod, and you are armed with only your fist and 60 Yellow Omega.
  • You will also notice a white bar labelled "Z". This is your Zeal. This is also spent when you attack.
  • You walk around the level collecting vitality bonuses (+5 to health) and zeal bonuses (+10 to zeal). All ammo is replaced by floating colored orbs which boost your correspondingly colored Omega reserves.
  • The first bar in the top-right hand corner is highlighted. Use altfire to scroll through the bars.
  • A custom keybind activates the currently highlighted color of Omega. (Make sure you have a key bound first - I use the middle mouse button.) When you activate it, your screen will be tinted to show the color, and you'll see the name of the currently selected skill. At the beginning of the game, you are only given one Yellow skill, but there are three of each color (a Level 1, Level 2 and a Level 3 skill), represented by colored megaspheres which replace the weapons.
  • When Omega is active, you'll see the time before it deactivates on the left side of the screen. Keep hitting the activate key to boost this number in increments of 15. However, you must have at least 15 points of the correspondingly colored Omega in your reserves in order for this to work.
  • If you possess more than one skill for the currently active Omega, you may switch between them by using the prev/next weapon buttons (mousewheel for most people, I assume).
  • Beware! Watch your zeal - while Omega is active, Zeal diminishes gradually. If it falls under 30 points (you start off with 100 but it can climb up to 200 if you pick up bonuses) your screen will start flashing erratically and you will begin taking damage until the Omega deactivates - or until you die. You should then refrain from using any attacks, if you can, until you can replenish your zeal (it recharges gradually, but only up to 100).
There are some other gameplay quirks to note:
  • There are no stimpacks or medkits.
  • Soulspheres no longer heal you. Instead, they add 100 points (up to 200) to your zeal. Hence, the only way to regain health is to collect vitality bonuses. (Or is it...? :o)
  • Silver megaspheres called "Omega Boosters" increase the total capacity of your Omega reserves. These replace the chainsaw and backpack.
  • If you get your zeal high enough, you'll unlock special powerups that affect you until your zeal drops beyond that point.
  • All Level 3 skills require extra zeal to perform. Because of this they should be used sparingly, but if you don't possess enough zeal to begin with, you won't be able to use them at all.
If you wish to spoil the skills you can acquire for yourself, here they are:
Spoiler:
If there are any problems at all with it, please feed back. I'm sure I missed out a couple of bugs/weird things. :? Please enjoy nonetheless! :D
Last edited by Jimmy on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

jimmy91 wrote: Blaaaaah
Ah, so, after testing it, and finding out a few things, I gotta admit ammo is pretty hard to come by and healing is even worse...
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Really? I found myself with too much ammo sometimes... And yes, healing is a pain. I've stuck the stimpacks and medikits back in - in the form of "soul globes" - but with reduced healing.

I'm still playing around with the gameplay balance - trying to find a system that works is more trouble than I thought. :?
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

What version of zdoom does it need to run?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've been testing with GZDoom 1.4.8 r790 / ZDoom 2.4.1 r2390, which was the latest available about a week ago.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Odd, I really can't find any ammo...

Weapons don't give me ammo

And there's hardly any pickups around...

Enemies don't drop either.

O.o so how are you supposed to get ammo?

In Map02 I was already out of everything and I only used fireball and acid rain like, three bleeding times each. >.>
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Are you playing with any megaWADs which are particularly stingey with ammo? I've tested it with Doom 2, TNT, and an assortment of other megaWADs, and found the gameplay to be quite fun.

Anyways, I'll be releasing a new version of it soon, although I've not been able to fix this quite persistent visual bug yet.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... utator.pk3 - Final version of StyleMod (UPDATED 05/19/2010), barring any sudden game-breaking glitches. In true Weaselverse style, the descriptions of the new items in the following spoiler.
Spoiler: Strategy Guide
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

XutaWoo's Cricket Mod!
"ANGEL" Miniture Flying Sentry Bot activated.

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Locate the demon, codenamed "Big Boss", and relay it's position to the marine.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Locate all security keycards and unlock all security doors along the way.

------

The UAC's mk 6 Miniture Flying Sentry Bot, nicknamed "cricket" by the employees and "ANGEL" by the company, is mostly what it says on the tin. Oddly enough, instead of a hoverboard or even rocket-propulsion systems, it uses wings.

In this minimod, you play a Cricket activated by the doomguy to mark a path through whatever campaign you're playing through. Said Crick is so tiny to the point of redicule; while you are pretty damn slow on your feet and enemies still somehow manage to see you, you can easily skip past parts of some levels easily, which is further complimented with the bot's ability to move in the air; press fire to move on the xy plain and altfire to move on the z plain. There's two player classes to choose from; one, the autobooster, simply moves as you hold the respective button. The other, the manual booster, requires you to tap with each boost, making it easier to move diagnolly at the risk of your fingers falling off if you have a calcium deficincy. To help prevent that from happening, however, is the fact that each boost of the manual booster is a bit more than the autobooster.

Of course, being so small makes you rather fragile. While you only take 1/5 of normal damage and your small frame makes it difficult for you to be hit, you only have 10 health points. Melee attacks don't really agree with your bot, so try to get out of hellspawn's arm span as soon as possible if you get caught in them.

Needless to say, since the bot lacks defense, the game ends when you reach the last level and die. No happy ending for you, but at least if you manage to get there you helped save mankind.
Soosisya san

Post by Soosisya san »

This is my mod. I use only Decorate, ACS scripts, Keyconfig and Sbarinfo.
Description:
This mod makes playing style similar to the RPG. As a player, the monsters have 4 levels. The game has 4 characteristics:
Vitality - affects the amount of health and the degree of protection
Agility - affects the accuracy of weapons (firearms), and negatively affects the accuracy of monsters
Intellect - affects the amount of damage and the number of health cures using kits
Focus - affects the chance not to spend the ammo at a shot and a chance to reflect on the projectile (in this case the player suffers damage)
http://www.wadhost.fathax.com/files/DoomRPG_V1.9.zip
before the game you need to set special buttons
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Had to update Style Mod: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... utator.pk3

Fixed a glitch and a missed opportunity regarding the Overkill Cannon.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”