[Release] The Persecution Complex is pleased to announce...

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Enjay

[Release] The Persecution Complex is pleased to announce...

Post by Enjay »

... the release of Paranoid, - hosted by DRDTeam.

Paranoid is a Half Life themed Doom II mod for GZDoom*. In the role of Dr. Rolf Bellmer, you will explore previously unseen areas of the Black Mesa Facility realized via eight maps interconnected in a hub structure.

With true 3D architecture integral to the design of the maps and the whole theme being very much in the style of the original Half-Life, Paranoid seeks to capture a great deal of the feel of Half Life-like gameplay but in the Doom engine. This style is neither Half-Life, nor Doom. It's Paranoid.

The levels are complimented by newly DECORATEd enemies with hi-res sprites, non-Doom palette graphics throughout, scenery (and some interactive) models and an original sound track.

Want more information? See screenshots, credits, and more information via the DRDTeam front page.

So, what are you waiting for? grab that crowbar.

Because of the extensive use of GZDoom and other advanced features, Paranoid requires the following system specs to run even at lower resolutions:
GZDoom 1.4.8
1.8ghz Processor
1 GB RAM
Hardware Accelerated Video Card w/at least 256 MB video ram
lizardcommando

Re: [Release] The Persecution Complex is pleased to announce

Post by lizardcommando »

Sweet! I've been waiting for this mod to be released. :)
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

It's pretty good. I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but the mix of beautiful 3D models and low-quality sprites threw me off. I was able to get past the mix of idle 3D Scientists and Security Guards with 2D walking Scientists, but as soon as I picked up the pistol and saw the grotesqueness of the grainy, stiff ripped model, I just had to quit.
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

One of the two wads I've been anxiously waiting to play has finally been released! :D
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

This looked really promising, but as much as I love Half-Life - this was unplayable. Sorry guys, I have a dual core 2,3gig CPU and 4gig RAM and the game stopped for about a second for every corner I turned around. Is there any way to pre-load all that stuff somehow with GZdoom? This is especially frustrating if you die and have to re-play a section and it stops and stops and stops at every corner again. I would like to see more of this mod, but right now I really can't play it. Maybe you could release a version with lesser use of 3d models? I mean does a chair really need a detailed 3d model like that?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It might not be the models - what kind of video card do you use?
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

GeForce 9400 GT (512 MB ram)
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

BlueEagle wrote:GeForce 9400 GT (512 MB ram)
woah, and that is a way better one than mine?
AND it's a nVidia? :O
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It does sound like BlueEagle's problem is that the loading of new data is being quite slow. I get the occasional point where I am awae that something new has loaded, but nothing like BlueEagle describes. In GZdoom there is the option to "pre-cache GL textures". However, I'm not sure what are classed as GL textures. It may just be the ones loaded like in Doomsday from a hi-res textures folder or something. Can't hurt to try though. Options/Display Options/OpenGL Options/Texture Options.

However, it's no secret that Paranoid is quite machine intensive and I'm afraid that it may just not run well on some hardware combinations. It's something that the team is aware of and we took (significant) steps to minimise the problems where possible but, ultimately, we came to the decision that if the game was going to be compromised, we'd rather pitch it at higher spec hardware than lower what we saw as the game quality.
TheDoomGuy wrote:as soon as I picked up the pistol and saw the grotesqueness of the grainy, stiff ripped model, I just had to quit.
Although I agree that there is a contrast between much of what you see on screen and the resolution of some of the sprites, weapons included, I'd say that pistol is a pretty fine rip by the standards of most Doom mods and its certainly no worse than the weapons in most of the mods that you will have played. "Grotesque" is definitely going too far and the "stiff" sprite has 17 frames! Anyway, if that's all that's causing you to quit... well... I guess that's your choice really. Looks like gaming really is all down to graphics after all. Not the attitude that I would expect from someone calling themselves "TheDoomGuy". "TheDoom3Guy" perhaps? :P
Last edited by Enjay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

It was about time ;) Unfortunately I am at work right now so I have to wait until this afternoon :(
Gez

Post by Gez »

Given the date of the announcement, I'm expecting to find at the end of the download a huge square map with impse everywhere and a soundtrack comprised of a .WAV clip from Erasure's Always.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Wow, i must just say. the starting map is like point precisely the beginning of hl1. very good job, im at the spot where you meet the first alien that shoots the flies :P
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I expected this to be an april 1st joke.

Well it's not. *wipes sweat off* I risked falling for a prank.. and that is critical i say D:! ... lol

So yeah. I'm lovin' the models but too bad none of them have animations. Would have preferred hires sprites for other stuff aswell. But I guess you had to care about people with weaker comps anyhow (I shook with fear as I started this up already.. whew)

It's pretty good so far.
Spoiler:
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Enjay wrote:It does sound like BlueEagle's problem is that the loading of new data is being quite slow. I get the occasional point where I am awae that something new has loaded, but nothing like BlueEagle describes. In GZdoom there is the option to "pre-cache GL textures". However, I'm not sure what are classed as GL textures. It may just be the ones loaded like in Doomsday from a hi-res textures folder or something. Can't hurt to try though. Options/Display Options/OpenGL Options/Texture Options.

However, it's no secret that Paranoid is quite machine intensive and I'm afraid that it may just not run well on some hardware combinations. It's something that the team is aware of and we took (significant) steps to minimise the problems where possible but, ultimately, we came to the decision that if the game was going to be compromised, we'd rather pitch it at higher spec hardware than lower what we saw as the game quality.
TheDoomGuy wrote:as soon as I picked up the pistol and saw the grotesqueness of the grainy, stiff ripped model, I just had to quit.
Although I agree that there is a contrast between much of what you see on screen and the resolution of some of the sprites, weapons included, I'd say that pistol is a pretty fine rip by the standards of most Doom mods and its certainly no worse than the weapons in most of the mods that you will have played. "Grotesque" is definitely going too far and the "stiff" sprite has 17 frames! Anyway, if that's all that's causing you to quit... well... I guess that's your choice really. Looks like gaming really is all down to graphics after all. Not the attitude that I would expect from someone calling themselves "TheDoomGuy". "TheDoom3Guy" perhaps? :P
I'm sorry if my critique of the inconsistency of model sprite-rips/actual models offends you. Would it kill you to go all one way or the other? I fail to see why there's a mix of 2D and 3D scientists. :shock:

"TheDoom3Guy"? I'm not the one who threw some 3D models into a predominantly 2D mod/game. Maybe a more accurate name would be, "TheLookingForABitOfConsistencyGuy". :P

If the whole thing had been 2D (hell, even if just the decorations, like barrels, forklifts, vehicles, etc. were modeled), I wouldn't be bitching about these things. Again, I don't mean any offense whatsoever, Enjay. This is a solid mod and I look forward to future releases. :D I'm just puzzled as to why the mixing exists.
Enjay wrote:Looks like gaming really is all down to graphics after all.
I said the mod was good. I was just trying to offer some constructive criticism.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

IMO, while the ripped weapons does look kind of grainy, the bi/trilinear filtering of gzdoom helps a lot in this matter. Call it disguise if you want, but that was the original idea.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”