HexenHanced (v1.4c / Patch) - Discontinued

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Shadelight

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4)

Post by Shadelight »

Well, I've played an older version but I like this. :)
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Awesome! Gives me a reason to play through hexen once more.

I've only tried the starter weapons so far and I intend to try the rest as I obtain them by regular playing.

The mace's altfire attack seems a bit.. unreallistic to me, but whatever. It needs to have something awesome because it was practically the worst starter weapon out of the three classes in vanilla hexen. :p
It seemed that the mage's wand drains stamina(or fatigue, whatever it's called, the power that is needed for altfire) without inflicting damage.

Definitely looking forward to some enhanced monsters aswell :)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

BlazingPhoenix wrote:Well, I've played an older version but I like this. :)
Dancso wrote:Awesome! Gives me a reason to play through hexen once more.
Baratus wrote:It changed my life!
Thanks. ;)
Dancso wrote:The mace's altfire attack seems a bit.. unreallistic to me, but whatever. It needs to have something awesome because it was practically the worst starter weapon out of the three classes in vanilla hexen. :p
I agree, it sucked. Nice reach, but it does indeed "only cause contrition in an enemy after numerous beatings". The ide behind that altfire is that he's stabbing at the enemy with the pointed end of the mace head. I may use NeoWorm's extra Mace sprites, if I can decide on how to "blend" it into the swing without slowing down the attack any more.
Dancso wrote:It seemed that the mage's wand drains stamina(or fatigue, whatever it's called, the power that is needed for altfire) without inflicting damage.
It does. All the Wand "knows" is that you commanded it to fire, just as all the Axe "knows" is that you hit something with it (be it an enemy, vase, window or wall).
NeuralStunner

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4a Patch)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Minor update! I've found a bug in Bloodscourge's Mana usage. To keep the files small for now, I've just zipped up the relevant file and uploaded it as a patch. Please download and apply the 1.4a Patch from the first post. (The fix will also be included in v1.5, whenever I get that out.)

Also, has anyone gone after Korax witha Tomed weapon? Quietus took him in a a grand total of four hits.

:shock:

Yeah. He's definitely going to need buffed. (Most likely, I'll add elemental resistances to him.)
supergoofy

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4a Patch)

Post by supergoofy »

HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4a Full)

HexenHanced_v1.4a.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmnhej21agz

It's for those that don't know how to edit/repack zip/pk3 files
NeuralStunner

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4a / Patch)

Post by NeuralStunner »

OK, thanks, but that got me thinking it over again... I've simply uploaded v1.4a as a complete zip, but I'm leaving the patch up for anyone that already has v1.4 and know how to patch it. Since I've done that, I won't have to leave the original v1.4 up anyways.

Also, I'm considering going over to a 7-Zip based format in the future. (Either PKZ or PK7, I'm leaning toward PKZ.) The purpose would be to save me space in my DRD Team file account. Would this make much of a difference to you all? (Keep in mind, ZDoom will run it fine regardless.)
ETTiNGRiNDER

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4a / Patch)

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

There seems to be a bug with the Mage's Arc of Death spell... when I pick one up, it starts out in Tome of Power mode for some reason, even without ToP activated. If I turn ToP on and then off again with the POWERUP cheat, it goes back to normal. Also, the Frost Shards alt fire bounces off of water instead of sinking into it, but maybe that one is intentional?

In general though, I'm loving this. Haven't fully explored the tactical implications of the new weapon functions, but so far they do seem to make Hexen combat more interesting in a better-integrated way than any of the attempts of adding new weapons that I've seen. And it makes more sense to me fluff-wise that the three orders would learn new tactics with their traditional arsenal rather than take up new ones. I really like the statbar enhancements too.
NeuralStunner

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4b / Patch)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Thanks very much! That was a simple fix fortunately, I knew exactly what line I had to fix. I've uploaded the new fixed version, as well as another patch for anyone with 1.4(a).

Yes, the ice ball is meant to bounce off liquids for the time being. I will probably change that in the next edition. Also note that they bounce off the sky as well. "It's called magic, Baratus. Magic." :trippy:

Glad you like it, too. Thanks to the new enhancements, things have really tilted toward the heroes' favor, so hopefully I'll get 'round to actually changing the enemies soon.

Pro Tip: To pwn Korax, use a Tome of Power and your 4th weapon. "Remove that from the board." :twisted:
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Strictly speaking, in vanilla hexen, Korax was a pushover anyway, and it carried over to the standard zdoom. In fact, zhexen was started to make him a challenge. You should make him more durable, at least. Pwning Korax is nothing new. The hardest part of the battle was the ettin/centaur rush.
"Greetings, Mortal" "Are you familiar with the term 'Wraithverge'?"*WHOOSH*"Hey, look, an exit portal!!"
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

If I had the voice talent, I'd make him sound a little more sentient, also. (Roaring monster, wha?) As it is, I may just use bits of Raven's Korax voice clips.

Plus a few other fiendish ideas. :twisted:
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Minor but annoying issue: it breaks my bind for "useflechette". Is there an alternate bind for this mod?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Yes, go to Options -> Customize Controls. At the very bottom of the list you'll find binds for all the artifacts. :)

I wouldn't have wanted to do have to do this, except that replacing a native actor with a new one by the same name makes the engine unhappy. (So avoiding potential bugs is more important.)
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Found another bug just now: the Fighter is much more vulnerable to falling damage (Mage and Cleric aren't affected). I jumped out the window of the bell tower on Winnowing Hall and he died, having been at around 75 health. Normally it only scratches off a little health.
NeuralStunner

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4c / Patch)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Pardon me while I laugh at myself. :laff:

The following line was in the Fighter's actor definition (I kid you not):

Code: Select all

DamageFactor "Falling", 1000
- I was attempting at one point to see if the "Falling" damage type could be modified. I used an insane multiplier just to make it very obvious if it did.
- It didn't.
- I forgot to remove that line in the release. :oops:
- A Recent-ish bug fix in ZDoom involving DamageFactors was made... It must have allowed the x1000 factor to finally work.

For the record, it was already removed in the current development version. Anyway, this warrants another patch... You can get the new v1.4c Patch on the first page.

Thanks much EG!
ETTiNGRiNDER

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.4c / Patch)

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

I noticed something with the Serpent Staff; on one of the frames of firing it, there are some extra spikes that appear on one side and not the other. Apparently it's that way even in the IWAD, it's just more noticeable on the HexenHanced alt-fire due to the frame showing for a longer time.

Found it kind of annoying, so I whipped up a quick fix of the frame that removes the "phantom" spikes. Feel free to include it with my blessing.
Symmetrical frame "J" for Serpent Staff.
Symmetrical frame "J" for Serpent Staff.
CSSFJ0.png (5.46 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”