HexenHanced (v1.4c / Patch) - Discontinued

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

HexenHanced (v1.4c / Patch) - Discontinued

Post by NeuralStunner »

Notice: This mod is out of active development, don't expect me to feel like working on it again. Yes, I know the current release is unusable in newer versions... My apologies in advance.

-=- HexenHanced -=-
Hexen Gameplay Remix for ZDoom
by NeuralStunner

(Version 1.4c)

What it does:
- It affects the gameplay, of course! There are new strategies and attacks to get used to. If you're obsessive about "old school" Hexen, this mod is obviously not for you. :)
- All the original weapons have been updated with tweaked attacks and animations.
- They each have their own Alternate attack (for the AltFire button).
- They even have powered-up modes for use with Heretic's Tome of power. And yes, the Tome is here too!
- New sounds for many different things.
- A few additional items.
- New Status Bars, including a fullscreen HUD. (By popular demand! ;) )
- Numerous other tweaks... The rest of the info file describes the changes in concise detail.

The mod is a PK3 inside a zip - no size advantage, but it's simpler to get to the info file. Just pull out the PK3 and load it up with Hexen. (More detailed info is included in Info.txt, and see the end of this post for miscellaneous notes.)

To download, click the cursor of thine mouse hither.

Note: For those who already have v1.4 to v1.4b, and know how to modify PK3 files: Download and apply this patch. Follow the instructions included as ReadMe.txt in the zip. This will update your copy to version 1.4c.

Here's some (slightly aged) screenshots, so I don't get axed:
Spoiler: Screenshots: Fighter Weapons
Spoiler: Screenshots: Cleric Weapons
Spoiler: Screenshots: Mage Weapons
- The files are hosted on the DRD Team Share Space. If you download, please report any problems with them (but I do hope there aren't any).
- If you find any glaring balance issues, they can be considered. Just remember, tomed attacks are supposed to be overpowered. (Which makes Korax even more of a sissy, I tell ya.) ;)
- It has been tested obsessively during development and afterward, both in ZDoom and GZDoom. If you play, please report any bugs with the mod itself... But read Known issues in Info.txt beforehand, so you know what problems I know about already.
- Many thanks to everyone who has helped find bugs!
- This is not necessarily all finished! While this release is usable as-is, I hope to do more on it (like redone monsters) in the future.

Have fun! :)
Last edited by NeuralStunner on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Killar

Re: HexenHanced: Hexen Gameplay Remix (v1.0 for now)

Post by Killar »

Looks quite good, now instead of Bloodscourge we should call it "Flame"scourge. Or something else. :)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Perhaps a modified status bar would be useful here. While the use of an inventory item to display the player's current energy levels does work at the beginning, it does become quite a pain to look for it in the inventory list as the game stretches on. And considering you can't use your more powerful alternate attacks without enough energy, unassuming Cleric or Mage players (don't think the Fighter is quite as affected later on) could get themselves in a tight spot by wasting their remaining energy without realizing it.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

wildweasel wrote:Perhaps a modified status bar would be useful here. While the use of an inventory item to display the player's current energy levels does work at the beginning, it does become quite a pain to look for it in the inventory list as the game stretches on.
This is a concern of mine. I haven't had the time yet to recreate the Hexen HUD in SBarInfo, but it is something I've been thinking over. (It'll have to be done eventually to properly display the replaced weapon pieces.) There's a nice black space under the Mana bars that would work nicely for Stamina. Also, I could force only the two Mana types to display, and add Stamina as the ammo type for the weapons that use it - it would then show in the alternate HUD as an ammo type, but not replace the mana bars in the classic status bar. In the meantime I'd advise using the alternate HUD.
wildweasel wrote:And considering you can't use your more powerful alternate attacks without enough energy, unassuming Cleric or Mage players (don't think the Fighter is quite as affected later on) could get themselves in a tight spot by wasting their remaining energy without realizing it.
True. This is why I saw the need to put an indicator somewhere, but having the counter replace the Mana bars seemed aggravating also.

I know the DooM status bar has been recreated pretty well in SBarInfo, what about the others?

Thanks for the feedback.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Why do the starting weapons' primary fires use energy? That makes it nearly impossible to store it up at the beginning of the game to do anything useful at all. It'd make more sense if only the alt-fires do it, while the primaries remain the same as before. I miss the Fighter's third punch. :(

Not bad for later weapons, though. Some of the altfires are neat.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Xaser wrote:Why do the starting weapons' primary fires use energy? That makes it nearly impossible to store it up at the beginning of the game to do anything useful at all. It'd make more sense if only the alt-fires do it, while the primaries remain the same as before. I miss the Fighter's third punch. :(
The idea being that the hero is getting "tired" by using their standard attacks. Hitting constantly for an extended period will slightly reduce the effectiveness of the attack - Unlike a mana-based weapon, it also recharges itself. (This creates the need to retreat and rest, not necessrily just standing around, but at least keeping out of combat.)

When I get around to replacing pickups and other items, I may add some Stamina recovery to the healing items as well. I think I'm going to change Stamina usage to a range (1-5) instead of a set amount (5). Sound fair? I've removed the "ammo usage" from the Fighter's other attacks, also.

I should have a new update soon. I still haven't decided whether I should wait until I get the status bar finished. (I am actually making progress on that. :) )
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I'm hating how the axe now uses energy no matter what I hit. Changing this is difficult but not impossible...
Andwhat WeaselXaser said about the main attack using energy. What...?!
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I like it so far!!!!
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

There a nice idea to make simple map where placed tome of power, or how to create map with hexen's tome of power item?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Actually let me see if I can explain...

My cardio isn't that great but when I throw a jab I don't tire. The fighter is in far better shape than I can hope to be in within 10 years... should he really tire when throwing jabs? And yes, I can throw those jabs with 16oz gloves on, so no whining about his gauntlets.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Just one thing - the mage's secondary attack kills enemies normally, can't it freeze instead?
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

So, this mod looks pretty amazing. I might get around to playing it.

And uh, the fighter's gauntlets look to be around 3- 4 pounds. Which is 3 to 4 times 16 ounces.
Full plate mail gauntlets made of iron would weight around 6.6 pounds. Steel would be about 5.

So, him being tired after a few punches might be off, but too many punches, and he'd have to stop and flex his hands.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

3-4 pounds are way too heavy to be throwing punches like what the fighter is throwing. They'd have to be 2 pounds MAX to get those kinds of hits off.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

DoomRater wrote:I'm hating how the axe now uses energy no matter what I hit. Changing this is difficult but not impossible...
It was deliberate. The only things besides monsters you should be chopping are windows, right? To balance this out, it has a ranged attack it didn't have before, and i've also decided to just give the Electric damage type back to it. This will make the axe much more effective against Centaurs (whose weakness to it I am going to reduce just a bit, though).

I did fix the powered mode, so that if the "zap" hits a wall, but the blade doesn't, it won't cost Mana. However, if you hit an enemy etc. with the zap, you will use 2 Mana regardless. You won't, however, lose more than 2 for a direct hit with the edge.
RaVeN-05 wrote:There a nice idea to make simple map where placed tome of power, or how to create map with hexen's tome of power item?
It shares a DoomEd Number with the Dark Servant, only the Game property in the definition decides which to use. Now, I could assign it to a new spawn number, but as a result you wouldn't ever see it in the original hexen maps. Personally, I never really cared for the Maulotaur summon, would it be okay to just replace it with the Tome completely? (Or I could, possibly, replace it with a RandomSpawner, to either spawn the original item or a Tome. But that would be a pain.) That's another question, should I replace the Porkelator or Banishment Device instead? What's the least useful semi-rare item?
DoomRater wrote:A The fighter is in far better shape than I can hope to be in within 10 years... should he really tire when throwing jabs?
Okay, I see what you mean, but I meant that as a sort of "Marvel-esque" explanation. :wink: It isn't just meant to reduce the frequency of special attacks, but to affect the strength of them during prolonged combat. (At lowest Stamina level, the The Fighter/Cleric only lose about 10 points of damage per hit.) The weapons themselves are faster to begin with. (The Wand slows down to "Vanilla speed" when run down.)

I've turned down the Stamina usage quite a lot now. For normal attacks, it uses a random amount (1-5). The special attacks also require less SM to be used, and there is a lower "overhead" for the melee attacks.
CodenniumRed wrote:Just one thing - the mage's secondary attack kills enemies normally, can't it freeze instead?
It could, but it shouldn't. If the damage type is Ice, it can't shatter frozen enemies (which is mostly the purpose of the ripping properties). Without this, he would have to switch to another weapon to break them - This way, it not only takes care of ice corpses, but can hit other things beyond them as well.
NeuralStunner wrote:When I get around to replacing pickups and other items, I may add some Stamina recovery to the healing items as well.
These are both added. :)

New version soon. (Tomorrow if all goes well.)

Thanks again for the feedback.
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

Replace Dark Servant to Tome of Power i think better

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”