ReDoom Enhanced!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

ReDoom Enhanced!

Post by DoomRater »

once upon a time WildWeasel started a project called Redoom. The idea was to update the graphics of Doom's weapons using the power of Decorate to add new frames and make everything shiny without changing the power levels of the weapons.

Upon playing it, however, I knew these did not behave EXACTLY as the original. Nor was I intent on making them behave exactly as the original. Instead, I wanted to try tweaking them for balance reasons, shifting the focus of the weapons, without changing the relative power levels of the weapons too much.

My changes:
-DoomRater's Patented Annoying Fist Usage (to get the most out of the fist, switch back and forth between the jab with fire and the cross with altfire)
-Chainsaw has a bit of spinup time but does 3-30 damage to compensate
-Pistol now has a hair trigger and is extremely accurate even when rapid fired, making it the "sniper" weapon of the mod
-shotgun's trigger pull was decreased but is heavier than the pistol's, and the spread was altered to form a tight pattern slightly smaller than the width of the original
-supershotgun's trigger pull was decreased but it is still the heaviest pull of all the hitscan weapons
-chaingun now prespins when you select it. only the first shot is accurate anymore, and it has about the same pattern as the shotgun. It shoots four times for 3 damage per trigger pull, using two ammo. That's a slight increase in damage and twice as much painchance as the original chaingun.
-rocket launcher's warmup is gone... will likely change in later versions
-plasma rifle has no damage or other changes really, just prettier.
-BFG Zero by LilWhiteMouse included, but it's likely not going to have that behavior in the end. The weapon's chain lightning doesn't count towards a player's kills due to how they are spawned.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4slvom Here ya are. Credits to WildWeasel for doing most of the work for me, Mouse for the BFG Zero, and I think credits for the graphics are in there somewhere. If not, lemme know.
Captain Proof

Re: ReDoom Enhanced!

Post by Captain Proof »

I like it,nice work.I have not played around with it completely but I'll continue and let you know what I think.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well, thanks for finishing this up; I'm not a particular fan of the new BFG though, as it feels extremely out of place in both graphic style and the new behavior.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I'm probably going to use a random bouncy energy ball behavior instead of the current one, but... as for graphics, I actually don't like the plasma rifle's graphics, nor do I want to use the similarly styled BFG. Any ideas? I love those shotguns though, so beefy and/or tactical.
Vanthos

Post by Vanthos »

Awesome mod. I really love the chaingun in particular. I'm not so fond of the new BFG, but then again I'm someone who rarely likes the new BFG in any mod.

As for the rocket launcher, I don't really like how the rocket firing is louder than the rocket explosion itself. When I see monsters gibbing and dying en masse from one of my rockets, I want the explosion level to match. Louder rocket explosion, and softer rocket firing sound.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I can tweak that.

Current modifications from previous: NONE! I'm lost as to a good Plasma Rifle + BFG replacement, as I should feel the two graphics should match stylistically. I also haven't changed the BFG behavior yet.
todo: -this posts will get updated later, dash is to do, slash means done
-set pickup sound for Chaingun
-fix BFG pickup sprite offsets
-tweak volume levels of rocket launcher
-change BFG Ball behavior
-ensure plasma rifle graphic matches BFG graphics
Last edited by DoomRater on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
darmuss

Post by darmuss »

Nice mod, playing with right now :D

The chaingun's got no pickup sound though.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I've updated the todo list. Unfortunately all I've done is add things to do. BUT it will get saved this time!
JustGabriel

Post by JustGabriel »

Nice mod Weasel
The BFG is very creative imo
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

JustGabriel wrote:Nice mod Weasel
Who said that WW made that?
You sir have to go back school and learn some reading skills. :mrgreen:
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Mr.Green wrote:
JustGabriel wrote:Nice mod Weasel
Who said that WW made that?
You sir have to go back school and learn some reading skills. :mrgreen:
Actually, DoomRater did. With the exception of the BFG and a few tweaks to the existing weapons, the majority of this mod was my work, coding-wise. Still, though, you ought to give DoomRater credit, as he's responsible for its present incarnation.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I think I found a plasma rifle that will fit the graphical style of the new BFG. Just gotta change everything... likely won't happen for a week though, I'm totally going on vacation.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”