Aliens vs. Marines - AVM

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Project: A.v.M. "Aliens Online Redux"

Postby Tragos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 am

New Marine! Not 100% finished, but getting there.
Tragos
2d > 3d "Remember: short, controlled bursts"
Banned User

Postby Apothem » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Please oh please can you explain how you're making the sprites off of these figures? I've been trying to do something similar with airsoft guns I've got with some success. I'm really interested in how you're approaching your lighting.
Apothem
ACS scripting makes my head go BooM!

Postby Imp Hunter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Looks cool, Aliens is the best ^^
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Parthoris » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Apothem wrote:Please oh please can you explain how you're making the sprites off of these figures? I've been trying to do something similar with airsoft guns I've got with some success. I'm really interested in how you're approaching your lighting.

proberly green screen? and over 2000 sprites and frames
Parthoris
Corvus the Heretic
Banned User

Postby Tragos » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 pm

http://www.stopmotionworks.com/howtostopmofilm.htm

This site will explain it better than I can. Eventually I will post a screen-shot of my whole setup.

1. You need a camera, analog or digital. ( Something with at least 10x optical Zoom )
2. Capture card or Analog to Digital converter.
3. Screen capturing programing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
AWESOME all in one studio kit. Great for spriting!

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Softbo ... 0078%2C625

Checkout those links on ebay.

For making guns with Airsoft rifles, I'd have a friend hold the camera over your shoulder while you take the firing/realoading/ frames then use something like photoshop to touch it up the photos. You can do all of this without a blue screen, but you will have to spend a lot more time editing the frames. Blue screen is better contrast for human skin, green is better for digital effects. It all depends on what your trying to do. PM me if you want to talk more. Hope this gives you a start!

Also, you can use a non glossy black fabric as backdrop. Then prime the gun with spraypaint. After taking the needed frames, convert the image to 256 colors which should remove the background from the image. After that you will have to add all the color and shading manually.
Last edited by Tragos on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tragos
Banned User

Postby eliw00d » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 pm

If you want any help with decorate for the weapons, let me know. I am a raving Aliens fanatic: I have the Colonial Marines Technical Manual, all kinds of Aliens books/comics/figures, the old school DVD version before they made the Quadrilogy...I love AL()ENS. :D
eliw00d
What is derp? KV don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.

Postby Tragos » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 pm

I'd appreciate the help! So far I have the basic's done for the Pulse Rifle and Smartgun. There is plenty left to do. Glad people are finally started to take notice of this project.
Tragos
Banned User

Postby Tragos » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:01 am

*removed*
Aliens inspired corridors I've been working on. A lot more coming soon!
Last edited by Tragos on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tragos
Banned User

Postby Parthoris » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

This is beutiful I can't wait would bring a whole new world for Skulltag CO-OP ?
Parthoris
Corvus the Heretic
Banned User

Postby XutaWoo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Parthoris wrote:CO-OP

As far as I know, this is for Team DM.
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby Tragos » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:32 pm

You will have the option to play Cooperative against the computer on certain maps. But my main focus will be Team DM. Skulltag would be an excellent choice for running AvM since it supports up to 32 players. However, does Skulltag support all the features of Decorate? Also I had plans on using Md2 models for architecture if slopes/clever design can't satisfy my desire for detail. :)

Further discussion on this project can be found here:

http://www.thehiveforum.net/forum/index ... 075.0.html
Tragos
Banned User

Postby DoomRater » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Any effects you might not be sure of how to pull off in DECORATE, shoot em by me. I may be able to help.
DoomRater
Hi, I'm bob.

Discord: DoomRater#6308

Postby Tragos » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:57 am

Will do. Thanks!

I've been very busy working on some new textures. Once I'm done we can discuss things further. I'm optimistically hoping to have a beta test in about 2 months. I'm not sure if this is well known or not, but Zdoom can run a multiplayer game with different wads. Meaning the wad on the host computer, can be different from the person loggining in and things will work. Of course you can expect errors..... I quickly tried test out how the Alien will move, attack, etc.... In relation to the Marine player.... Everything worked out just fine with Zdoom.
Tragos
Banned User

Postby Tragos » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 am

Rough preview of new textures for AvM. My camera doesn't take great video, but still quite good enough for DOOM! :) Once I have time to touch them up a bit, and add some effects they will look much better. I have about 20 min of video I'm going through frame by frame. Above is just a small taste! I can hardly wait to see them in an actual map.

My new texture is not replacing the one shown, but merely illustrates how I'm keeping true to the look and feel of Aliens Online. My new textures will benefit from a higher color palette, and will be enhanced a much as possible for only being 128x128 pixels... Though not finished, I believe this looks like it would have fit well into the original game.

If that doesn't like right out of Aliens, then I don't know what does... Many of the images appear gritter than I wish, but I believe that will work to my advantage for AvM.
Tragos
Banned User

Texture update:

Postby Tragos » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Here is a shot of a replacement texture of my own creation, and how it compares to the original from Aliens Online. I have about 20 replaced so far, and only 100 more to go! :) I think I'm on the right track. I'm holding off any sprite work I've done for last... :)

Tragos
Banned User

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects