ÆoD (6.06.02 (03-14-16))

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Major Cooke

Re: ÆoD (6.06.02 (03-14-16))

Post by Major Cooke »

A reminder, you are not permitted to use the Death Bringer's sprites or vocals in any mod releases outside of AEoD.

Ignore the chicken mode. It's an incompleted feature that I forgot to remove when adding that to the menudef.

Oh and just so you know, you can expect the current release to be the last one to remain on DECORATE so if RO doesn't update to ZScript, have fun trying to port any new enemies over from future releases. It will become far harder to take apart the mod than ever before -- not exactly by choice, but because of the systems I plan on implementing to clean up the code gratuitously.

No seriously, it's in need of some heavy-ass scrubbing.
chaoseclipse01

Post by chaoseclipse01 »

Well, it didn't work, the spawner scripts for the monsters all completely conflict with RO, so no Aeons of Russian Overkill for me lol. Oh well, I'll have to find some other sort of monster mod
chaoseclipse01

Post by chaoseclipse01 »

Major Cooke wrote:A reminder, you are not permitted to use the Death Bringer's sprites or vocals in any mod releases outside of AEoD.

Ignore the chicken mode. It's an incompleted feature that I forgot to remove when adding that to the menudef.

Oh and just so you know, you can expect the current release to be the last one to remain on DECORATE so if RO doesn't update to ZScript, have fun trying to port any new enemies over from future releases. It will become far harder to take apart the mod than ever before -- not exactly by choice, but because of the systems I plan on implementing to clean up the code gratuitously.

No seriously, it's in need of some heavy-ass scrubbing.
Well, one of the major things I did was completely scrub the weapon sprites out entirely, as well as menu sounds, weapon sounds, and weapon lighting from AEoD itself. As far as Death Bringer's stuff goes, I'm not entirely sure which stuff is his or not, but I never intended on releasing this content anyway, I just wanted to do it for myself seeing how most people who play AEoD probably wouldn't want RO weapons in the first place, and most people who play RO don't really care about how strong or weak monsters are, just that they die, I was just getting tired of seeing the same monsters over and over again lol.

Either way, I couldn't get AEoD to work with RO, all of the spawner .txt files all popped errors, for whatever reason RO just wasn't having it having them there.

About the only thing I can think of to make everything work at this point would be to just move RO into AEoD, and remove RO's spawner scripts and just have AEoD handle everything, though I'd have to deal with an additional like 25 to 30 weapons on top of everything in AEoD, the only thing I find myself lucky on is none of the sprite, graphic, or sound files have the same name between the two mods so I wouldn't have to make huge changes, but I'd have to rename all the menu sounds from RO to AEoD's menu sounds to overwrite them and somehow get RO's MENUDEF content into AEoD's MENUDEF, and somehow get the ACS files to play nicely between the two, along with RO's player classes and apply AEoD's weapon, item, and power-up classes over to AEoD's stuff. I'll have to try it next weekend, it took close to 14 hours trying to fiddle with AEoD to conform to RO, should be easier to make RO to fit into AEoD. If I can get it to run at least I can just replace AEoD's weapon/item/power-up spawns to just be nothing but RO's stuff, then make RO's weapons use AEoD's ammo pools
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

chaoseclipse01 wrote:Or is there an enemy that potentially forces you into chicken mode like some sort of polymorph?
There was, The Hellion from the previous version, version 5, before was removed in this current version
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Also heads up you guys. Due to circumstances AEoD cannot be run at the moment with too many issues going on in the devbuilds. Stick to GZDoom 2.2 for the time being.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Is there anyone who could provide either a working copy of AEOD that works with GZDoom 2.3 or a copy of 6.0 or later with the proper GZDoom build prepackaged? Thanx.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I can't guarantee that. There's a lot going on right now and we've already inserted some new content already inside of it. Much of that content is still incomplete at the moment. Your best bet is to to use an older GZDoom for the time being.
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

To be honest, I don't know why this is considered one of the worst WADS out there. I though variety was what people wanted. Although, a little nitpick is seeing 3D models being converted into sprites. Nothing to stop me from fully enjoy it though!
Captain J

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Post by Captain J »

Because some people can't take this interesting, neat and challenging collab-chaos, i guess.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

It was targeted for being the most significant of them all and basically sending the message of "You see this? We don't need anymore of these. Please and thank you." In a nutshell.

Like that means we'll ever quit. :twisted:
cs89

Post by cs89 »

So, the 6.1 version is still work-in-progress, we have to wait it's release and then it will be abandoned, right? :|
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I'll never abandon AEoD. It was the first serious mod I've ever contributed to since v5. Too much pride and effort have gone into this to ever leave it.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

UTNerd24 wrote:To be honest, I don't know why this is considered one of the worst WADS out there.
Not because it's bad (which it's not, although certainly not to everyone's tastes), but because it spawned a whole lot of copycat mods (there were big randomizer wads before this, but not to this kind of scale... or notoriety), many of which were effortless ripfests without an ounce of originality or even the slightest attempt at rebalancing or debugging the copy/pasted resources and code. Whether you enjoy this type of gameplay or not, there's undeniably a buttload of time, thought and effort put into Aeons of Death, instead of just cramming in as much as possible without making sure it all actually works.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah, like that other mod that claimed AEoD would become a thing of the past. What was it called again? :P

Not only did that guy up and disappear, he also deleted his youtube channel. I know it wasn't Doomguy's Warzone, it was something else... I guess you could say, that mod became a thing of the past while AEoD is still very much relevant today.
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

The only thing I can really compare AEoD is Scalliano667's Shuffle. But that keeps a majority of its content Doom-themed. Its rather outdated now, but still working to a degree. Anyway, Keep up the great work over here!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”