ÆoD (6.06.02 (03-14-16))

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
zitro

Re: ÆoD (4.21 patch: jan-14-2009)

Post by zitro »

BoldEnglishman wrote:@DavidB1000: There are plenty of games where the player can get annihilated in a single shot, but there are ways of defeating said enemies. I myself have never encountered this Phoneix that you speak of, because I rarely play AEoD, but there must be some strategies as to defeat it harmlessly. Ethril has mentioned one possible strategy, so maybe you should start with that.

Besides, one cannot start talking about balancing issues when you're using cheat codes (which utterly destroy balance full stop). I'm not going to get involved in the ethics of cheat codes or such, but surely it is clear to everyone that balancing issues + cheat codes do not work well together. Furthermore, you are the only one who has voiced a concern about the Phoenix. While I'm not saying that your opinion isn't worthless, you make it sound as if this is some sort of emergency that must be solved as soon as possible without fail. In response to this, all I can say is that without other people who share the same concern as you (and I mean, a lot of people), the same argument against Chii applies here as well.

That is, you have stated your opinion, and DBT has recognized this, but it is his creation nonetheless (not solely of course), and as such he makes the decision as to whether to change the Phoenix or not, and unless I have misread his posts, he is stated he will not change it.
Well, actually I remember a few (including me) voiced negative opinions about the phoenix, but that was before its regular attack damage got reduced by more than half, before its health got reduced, and before it became a rare encounter.

It got really weakened over time ... David plays with Godmode, if he didn't, he'd complain about actually more dangerous enemies like the one they refer to "strife soldier" for example, which has like 3X health and has unavoidable rapid-fire attacks while using its shield or dangerous railgun shots. Those can scare me more, unless the phoenix is on an open space.

let's not talk about Eidolon, probably the most damaging boss in AEOD I've seen ;)

now you [david] can enjoy without dying from a phoenix.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Lol Eidolon....now thats a scary boss. I mean he was bad before but now a volley of fireballs that now track your position? Thats bad lol.
Come to think of it all of the serpent riders got buffed big time except D'sparil which can now teleport being the only one. Personally
my least favorite boss might be Bar'luga seeing how i kept getting him in huge open areas and having his plasma attacks track me to the ends of the earth.
I couldn't blame people for being freaked out about the Phoenix but there really are a ton of brutal other enemies as well. Take Alien for example....
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

All very good points. Even the few times I've run into Edilion, he's really been a pain. :(
Well, I will continue to voice my opinions in the future, so fair warning. :)
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

zitro wrote:let's not talk about Eidolon, probably the most damaging boss in AEOD I've seen ;)
Oh, I've seen quite a few boss monsters that put out more damage than Eidolon. Mastema, for instance. Oriax can be just as bad, but at least that nova is a bit easier to avoid.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Shoot i think the Demilich can top those charts there considering some of his abilities. Also Baphomet always seems to one shot me no mater what so he might be my biggest fear but thankfully he never appears that often. Actually i would say the beast with the highest possible damage would be the masters pet considering 6 Phoenix blasts or 6 Cerberus blasts.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Long post of replies:
Spoiler:
zitro

Post by zitro »

And the pet. well, yeah, it was a bit too much maybe :P (good thing that is rare too)
I had it in lvl 6 in regular doom2 when playing 5th difficulty. He devastated me when going down the elevator, I had to use an item booo :( (he eventually died with the crushing ceiling when I hid in a small room where the acid river is.

The weapon he gave me wasn't that rare as I've had it 2-3 in the past from a common easier boss (a giant robot looking enemy), tho I haven't gotten it since AEOD 4.0. It's like a hand wrapped around a white orb which has devastating white exploding fireball as an alt-fire.
Yes, the Demilich is a boss that you shouldnt encounter easily, for both, it's power, and it's reward. And the pet. well, yeah, it was a bit too much maybe :P (good thing that is rare too)
My father called me saying he found a new boss that he couldn't beat. He had a nice arsenal of weapon including the boss-killer "scarab staff" and he's pretty good, so I wondered ... it took me 3 tries, while using items.

man, that thing was insane :) ... but the dark staff it dropped was nuts (its dark mana usage should be increased from its original 4.0 version). Great weapon animations/design
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Hmm, you got the soul leech from a monster called the master's pet, and it replaces a Spider-mastermind? Hmm, the only special Spider-Mastermind I ever ran into that dropped anything, was the hellroot dropper. Now that's a weapon of true power. :)

So, what does this master's pet look like? I've never saw it. I was thinking about The DBTpet, but that's obviously not it. :) Hereiarch's even more powerful twin brother, right? :)
zitro

Post by zitro »

DavidB1000 wrote: So, what does this master's pet look like? I've never saw it. I was thinking about The DBTpet, but that's obviously not it. :) Hereiarch's even more powerful twin brother, right? :)
uff, you lost me. master's pet, dbtpet, hereiarch (is that the weak verson of the 6-arm monster we're talking about?)

so I don't know which one I fought, all I know is that it had massive health, and severely damaging and hard-to-avoid attacks. When it died, it released ghosts that follow you.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

zitro wrote:so I don't know which one I fought, all I know is that it had massive health, and severely damaging and hard-to-avoid attacks. When it died, it released ghosts that follow you.
Sounds like Korax or the DBTPet (a recolor of Korax) to me.
Also the DBTFollower or whatever it was called is a recolor of the Heresiarch, in case you were wondering.
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Oh, okay, I thought that there was only the DBFollower, which I thought was the DBPet? My bad.
Reilsss

Post by Reilsss »

DavidB1000 wrote:So, basically it boils down to I must be a developer, or super Manly. :) That's a great title for God Mode ,mind you.
To PDF: Would you like it if I called you a Wuss? I didn't think so, so how about not insulting cheaters.
sorry for dragging your topic down, I know how crazy and slightly zealous people get over cheat codes.
So, any new additional monsters you plan on adding soon? The fun never stops. Or maybe a good level to spawn some based on class randomly? Press a button, fight? How about that?

Personally, no one should care about people cheating in their own singleplayer game. Hey, I like to run through invasion mods for Skulltag on single-player, so hey, you kind of need to cheat.
A bit out of date but still.
Well like people spoke befor, using cheat codes does damage / ruin / destroy the game play balance. So basical if you say a balance issue, its very difficult to follow it / fixing it, sinces you play the game in a way that was not ment to play it. So to basical make the game balanced for you will make it unbalanced for many others. On the plus side if you play for fun, there is already a fun mode hiden in the game, you just find it and have your rampage without using cheat codes. (That frags the game balance to a bit but its on purpose and supported by DBT.) And even on that I and others can do more with your feedback as when you use cheats.

So in short words, its fine when you use cheats but it makes your reports of balance issus sort of less useful. (I do not saying that your oppinion is less worthy then others. But you have to admit from the balance point of view your oppinon is less useful to get great balance. (why? because you play not as we ment the player to play it)).

Now enogth about this. Cheaters got thanks to Lanpartys internetplay and others a rather bad name. And I guess you saw how people think about this topic. Now back to your other question and ontopic

I'm sorry but I wont tell you what the upcoming version will include. You have to become supriced. The team preferes to suprice people instace of spoiling all the upcoming ideas weeks and months befor the realse.

Edit: Changed a fe words to have a correct shape. I know my writings are not always greatest and in genral I don't look for harming.
Last edited by Reilsss on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Yes, I like the mod to have surprises, especially since a big part of AEoD is "wait! I never saw that weapon/monster/powerup/whatever before". Funnily, sometimes when playing I too get surprised for the stuff we added (even though I already knew that it was inside aeod).
Spoiler:
Still, to reach that kind of "secret surprises", nothing at all should be "leaked". That's why I tend to keep shout about any additions/changes between major releases of the mod (not patches). If I go and say "look, this monster set is ready to be added into aeod" or "this new weapon will be hidden ingame", anyone who reads that, will be aware of it, and of course, when he finally finds it, will say "oh, so there it is". And, that's not the point ;)
Last edited by DBThanatos on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReapeR 666

Post by ReapeR 666 »

DBThanatos wrote: And about your case of "cant switch" spell pages, are you completely sure you have configured the alt fire button? I have seen no problems when changing the spellbook pages.
Of Course i'm sure :wink:
Spoiler:
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Hmm, fair enough, Reisss, perhaps it does mess up balance, but maybe, to have fun doesn't need balance. :) At least I don't complain when it takes crazy ammo amounts to kill bosses? :)
Also, what is this hidden thing you're talking about in the mod to make it more fun, and
there is already a fun mode hiden in the game, you just find it and have your rampage without using cheat codes. (That frags the game balance to a bit but its on purpose and supported by DBT.
Where is that? I don't quite understand where that could be found, or what to do.

To Reaper, um, I can suggest that what I use works. e or the Mouse 2 button as alt-fire. e for open is just weird, and makes no sense. :) That's what the spacebar is for. This is Doom, not half life 2.

But yeah, mouse 2 should work. Are you certain you have two spells to select through?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”