Heretic Element Storm v0.91

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
zitro

Re: Heretic Element Storm v0.8

Post by zitro »

i think it's hard to tell if other episodes are balanced. He didn't program the liches, nor the minotaurs. Maybe he didn't even program the new enemies of episodes 2/3 like the naga.

I'm a bit worried of telling apart the enemies, but I'll see how it is once I play it. Same for the elemental strengths/weaknesses. I'd probably think it's best the following way:

Fire: 0% Damage from Fire. 170% Damage From Water. 70% Damage From Earth.
Water: 0% Damage from Water. 170% Damage From Energy/Power. 70% Damage from Fire.
Earth: 0% Damage from Earth. 170% Damage from Fire. 70% Damage from Air.
Air: 0% Damage from Air. 170% Damage from Earth. 70% Damage from Acid.
Steel: 0% Damage from Steel. 170% Damage from Acid/Radiation. 70% Damage from Glass.
Acid/Radiation: 0% Damage from Acid/Radiation. 170% Damage from Air. 70% Damage from Steel
Energy/Power: 200% Damage from Energy/Power. 170% Damage from Glass. 70% Damage from Water.
Glass: 0% Damage from Glass. 170% Damage from Steel. 70% Damage from Energy/Power.
Light: 0% Damage from Light. 200% Damage from Dark. 80% Damage from everything else.
Dark: 0% Damage from Dark. 200% Damage from Light. 80% Damage from everything else.

the idea:
_This version will not make weapon switching such a necessity all the time
_gameplay that doesn't require so much focus.
_not take so much advantage of difficult enemies and bosses (you probably have most or all the weapons by then)
_change the 25% to 70% so that you could at least kill monsters with that element, if at a slower rate, therefore not being so mandatory to switch weapons.
_change 50 to 80% for light/dark monsters in case you don't have a light/dark weapon and if you do, it is balanced out by a lesser weakness (could help balance out the early stages of the game)
_I think it could prevent frustration without taking away the idea of the whole mod. Realizing strengths/weaknesses but not making it so mandatory to switch around all the time because of it. Rather, make the game easier if you're good at switching to the right weapons.
_for some enemies (especially the flying mages apparently) it's not easy to tell apart the elements, so it could prevent a bit of frustration.

but since I didn't play it, maybe I'm wrong.
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

zitro wrote: _This version will not make weapon switching such a necessity all the time
Weapon switching is modified to be very fast.
zitro

Post by zitro »

well, I meant having to go through touching numbers all the time (if you do remember what number represents each weapon) or struggling to find weapons with the mouse wheel.

I just like to give feedback on game balance. I don't call myself balance freak for nothing. I just think my idea could make a game a bit more accessible, but it all depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to just make a game for yourself the way you want it, then I should be happy I can play it for free :)
Last edited by zitro on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Wait a minute, this part stuck out more than others...
Maybe he didn't even program the new enemies of episodes 2/3 like the naga.
Nagas? When did Heretic have half naked snake chicks from random fantasy and/or Hinduism beliefs? I remember the chained angel being worshipped on doors, but that was Satan or something...

Anyhow, I didn't know what Nagas had to do with it though.
As for balancing, it's better once you memorize the very strange elemental weaponry. :)
Fire is put out by water, but water isn't destroyed by fire? Steel is melted by acid/radiation. Oh, wait, that makes sense. :)
Earth and Air, etc...
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

He meant the Ophidians, which pop up in Episode 2 and 3.
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Ah, fair enough. You'd think I'd remember nagas. :)

So that's what those things are. All I know are the saberclaws. "They're ripping my face off!"
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Captain Ventris wrote:He meant the Ophidians, which pop up in Episode 2 and 3.
Actually, just 3.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

@Woolie Wool: Random start weapon every time you play, that's why you started with 7, this is so if you play it coop you can both help each other, with different weapona at the start, (I liked this feature recommended by someone on Skulltag Forums, means different starting strategy each time you play), this was originally designed for coop remember. But it can be done single player also. I also agree with the Steel/Glass thing, I might give Glass +VISIBILITYPULSE, so they sort of pluse between visible and slightly invisible, if you all think that's a good idea.

@Zitro: For the elemental damages, I will think about changing it but not to 70% it was originally 75% and I didn't feel like there was any Damage Factors at all which was disappointing. I might consider 40% or maybe even 50%. Light and Dark may go to 60% or maybe even 75% if I'm feeling generous. Cause I have trouble killing them, but the Skulltag version may not have any changes cause it's designed for cooperative. This one isn't so much. Also just so you know, I like the focus and the concentration, gives me something to do while mindlessly blowing things away, I like realizing shit what am I doing, I'm using the wrong weapon against this guy. Wizards or Flying Mages as you seem to call them, are unbelievably easy to tell apart in game, the robes are very distinct, maybe not for Steel and Glass though but other than them, its really really easy. The weapon switching is fast and it doesnt take long to learn the weapon order. Fire, Water, Earth, Air (Basic Elements), Steel, Glass, Acid, Energy (Odd elements), Light and Dark (Epic elements). This version does not have the Sabreclaws, Weredragons, Ophidians, Maulotaurs and D'Sparil, and only has 2 of the 10 lichs. It's as far as I have gotten so far, give me a break, I do have college aswell you know.

@DavidB1000: Didn't I give you a run down of why I made elements beat what, so it was balanced. Couldn't have it uneven could I :)

@Ichor: You sure I think they are in one of the levels in Episode 2, some of the last few maybe I'm wrong but.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Nope. None there that I can remember. The first time I saw one was at the end of map 1 (yes I took the tornado shortcut, heh).
zitro

Post by zitro »

I see, I didn't know this had a strong emphasis on co-op multiplayer (which I can see it as very fun with the mod), and that changing weapons often is the purpose of the mod.

Sorry, about that when I said you didn't program some monsters, it was as a reply to David "only episode 1 is balanced well.". zdoom modding seems to require a lot of patience, and considering how good the fire lich looked, you are taking your time so that you can make it as good as you're able to.
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Sorry, my bad again. I'll get used to it, but until then, I'm still getting confused over it. :)

No offense, it will just take me awhile.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Nah it's alright, I like hearing others opinions and I said that I may take your damage factors slightly into consideration zitro. So this GZDoom version may be different to the Skulltag one. But I might keep the Skulltag ones where they are do to, people will most probably soon be playing this online.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Would you be interested in having this? I'm going to use it for a trailer I want to make.

By the way, i'm having an outstanding time playing this. No real complaints thus far. :)
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Thanx and bouncy that is epic, and I am going to add that as the esc menu logo. Also I will shove it on the title pic, aswell. Thanx for that gotta write down your name to be added to the credits also now :)

No seriously that really looks awesome :D
zitro

Post by zitro »

I recommend to use the pic you put in your opening post, with bouncy's pic somewhere to tell the user the name of the mod in a stylish way.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”