Heretic Element Storm v0.91

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ichor

Re: Heretic Element Storm v0.8

Post by Ichor »

How about if whenever he changes elements, he will use a spell of the element that he's currently weak against?
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Dammit. I wanna play this so bad! :(
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

@Zitro: Tell me when your ready to beta, I got no concerns with how many people beta test :)

@Ichor: So you mean D'Sparil attack with the element hes weak against. I was going with that his robes change colour and his resistances do also, so you can tell what element hes weak to by what colour his robes are, but then again I have no way to do most of these things without World ACS. My overall backup plan is just to have him a different element every time you play. But I may end up making a map for this project. Where its scripted so he does use all the elements. But for this considering its designed to work with any project, its hard to change those sorts of things without making it incompatible with other stuff. So when I finish this I may start some project or something where people can submit element styled maps.

@Phucket: If you want to beta test you just have to ask, Admittedly it will have a few problems but isn't that the point of testing :)
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Maelstrom wrote:@Zitro: Tell me when your ready to beta, I got no concerns with how many people beta test :)

@Ichor: So you mean D'Sparil attack with the element hes weak against. I was going with that his robes change colour and his resistances do also, so you can tell what element hes weak to by what colour his robes are, but then again I have no way to do most of these things without World ACS. My overall backup plan is just to have him a different element every time you play. But I may end up making a map for this project. Where its scripted so he does use all the elements. But for this considering its designed to work with any project, its hard to change those sorts of things without making it incompatible with other stuff. So when I finish this I may start some project or something where people can submit element styled maps.

@Phucket: If you want to beta test you just have to ask, Admittedly it will have a few problems but isn't that the point of testing :)
I'd be more then happy to be a beta tester. :D
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

No problem then, I'll pm you in a tick.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Maelstrom wrote:@Ichor: So you mean D'Sparil attack with the element hes weak against. I was going with that his robes change colour and his resistances do also, so you can tell what element hes weak to by what colour his robes are, but then again I have no way to do most of these things without World ACS. My overall backup plan is just to have him a different element every time you play. But I may end up making a map for this project. Where its scripted so he does use all the elements. But for this considering its designed to work with any project, its hard to change those sorts of things without making it incompatible with other stuff. So when I finish this I may start some project or something where people can submit element styled maps.
Yeah, like Magus from Chrono Trigger.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Yeah iv'e never played that, so I don't actually know who Magus is :S
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

One of the bosses from Chrono Trigger, who can change his "Magical Barriers" to correspond to a magical element and attack with the strongest one. The advantage is that you can use one of the same element to be able to damage him, but not others.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Oh ok, sounds like another game I had once Azurik, where the boss changed colours and you had to use combo elements on him.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well finally got around to getting Spleen's random code added, and it's works awesomely, though I still need to lower the chances of dark and light spawning, I didn't like fighting two dark and 1 light in one room. But its great, credits to Spleen for that :)

Also while I was testing it I got this epic screenshot, well its not really epic I just thought it looked sweet.

If you look closely you can see the dark one right in front of me :P
Wizard of the Elements
Wizard of the Elements
Wizardsinalltheirglory.jpg (204.53 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Also on the news side, Earth Lich is nearly done, just working on one more attack for him, then I might release a new version with the Earth Lich, Nimbus Sphere bug fixed and Spleen's improved random code :).
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Very nice work. :) Can't wait for this thing to be done.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Would you mind letting me test this? It looks really exciting. :)
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Yeh no prob I'll pm you a link shortly.
zitro

Post by zitro »

well, i'm not beta-testing yet, but suggestions about things that you might not have done yet:

Minotaur Boss (was it called maulotaur?):
_If done with elements (that'll be a bit tough to program), I think it'll be a good idea to leave out the very tough light/dark elements and for the rest, not to make the weaknesses as extreme (150% is probably best).

_if non-elemental, you might save a lot of effort and use some of the saved time to program a neat complex monster with several different attacks. Unoriginal examples include:
.following its charge attack with a hammer blow to the floor, doing 10-35 damage, depending on distance.
.occasionally doing an enhanced version of its triple fireball attack but being 2 instead. These ones exploding on impact and dealing massive damage (50-70)
.throwing a slow moving fireball that damages a lot (50-70) on impact and damages lightly constantly if you're close to it (4-8 per second). This could provoke enemies into fighting the minotaur which is fun.
.do a rapid-fire attack (lets say 5 per second) involving small fast-moving fireballs for a few seconds or when it enters pain state. Each fireball damaging about 6-10 each.
.hit hammer on floor, creating a ring of fire around him, granting temporary invurnerability and reflecting attacks for 2-3 seconds. You suffer high constant damage if you're in the ring (lets say 50 per second), but when will you really be close to a minotaur?
.(inspired by AEOD), do the fire in the floor attack in all eight directions, but damage should probably be considerably lower since it's much harder to dodge.

I could give more interesting ideas maybe for the final boss, if i know whether to keep him non-elemental, or the switching elements.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

I'm doing elemental Minotaurs, and if you fight a Light or Dark one you better hope your playing coop. Cause it'll be a tough fight, but it's randomed every time so if you cant beat it just get the random to re-roll by saving your last save at the end of the previous level.

I've already got all the monsters Lichs/Maulotuars/ D'Sparils attacks planned doing them however is another story. For instance the Water D'Sparil creates a globe of frost that pulsates and grows bigger and bigger, till it implodes into a ring of frost. Several ideas like that I'm doing for them. I've got many unique ones and several already seen ones, because I liked them. I pretty much planned all of the Maulotaurs and D'Sparils attacks while I'm bored at college during lines off and stuff.

The bosses are more resilient to every element. Cause I find them way to easy. I'll think about several of your ideas and you may seen them in it, but anywho.

The Skulltag version now has online coop and dm support. Thanks to TheShooter7 for this :). Note the GZDoom and Skulltag version will be the same when Skulltag advances to 97E as of right two things don't work between them. But anywho I will probably be doing a new release tomorrow. With TheShooter7's improved random code and online compatible code also with the Nimbus Sphere fix and many other various small things changed that aren't important enough to mention. They are mainly just damage reductions and increases and Health re-balancing.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”