Heretic Element Storm v0.91

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Maelstrom

Heretic Element Storm v0.91

Post by Maelstrom »

First things first its for Heretic, Not Doom, I may make a doom version later if i have time. I am aware there aren't too many heretic single player or coop mods, but hopefully we will see some more in the near future.

Element Storm - Heretic Multi-Monster Wad

Anyways back to the topic. The mod is based around the 10 elements (yes i made some up so sue me) They are coloured so you can tell the monster differences.

Fire : Red
Water : Blue
Earth : Brown
Air : Gold
Steel : Grey
Acid/Radiation : Green
Energy/Power: Purple
Glass: White/Light Grey
Light : Pink/Skin Colour
Dark : Black/Dark Grey

Each monster in Heretic, will have 10 different types of them, one for each of the elements. Depending on which element they are based on will give them certain traits and abilities and weakness's and so on. This will provide interesting types of monsters also will make battles more challenging when you hear what i say next. There are 10 different weapons 1 for each slot based on a element. A certain element weapon will not hurt a monster of the same element. For instance I shoot the Fire Wand at an enemy that is fire based. Means no damage dealt. I am pretty confident this can be achieved through damage types, hopefully I am correct. Also other elements are immune to certain types. For instance Fire wont hurt Water either will it. Water would just put it straight out. So every weapon will not hurt one monster. Also some monster types might take more or just reduced damage from certain weapons. This will be challenging because this is a multi-monster wad so you may be in a room with multiple types of elements and you might have too look through your weapons and choose the most logical one for the situation.

Anyway continuing on now you understand the basic theory of it, the traits that these monsters own I will display below, if anyone has any recommendations to what i should put for some of the traits or if you believe it should do that, please inform me of another trait or something and i may give it that instead or aswell.

Each type has a weakness and a bonus. Except Light And Dark they just have bonus's. Light and Dark Monsters Are Rarer Though.

Fire: Faster Attack Speed, Flees When Nearly Dead, Fire Trail (Will not have a fire trail if it flies, Fire trail deals no damage).
Water: Reduced Health, Increased Move Speed.
Earth: Slower Move Speed, Increased Health.
Air: Greatly Reduced Health, Greatly Increased Move Speed.
Steel: Greatly Increased Health, Greatly Reduced Move Speed
Acid/Radiation: Posion Damage (You lose health over time) Slower Attack Speed.
Energy/Power: Regeneration (Will heal if left alive over time), If killed with own weapon type they will explode (This does mean they can be hurt by Energy weapons), Trail Effect.
Glass: Take the damage but they reflect your shots back at you. Cannot be Resurrected, Slightly Invisible Always.
Light: Greatly Increased Move Speed, Increased Health, Immune to Pain, Slight Homing, Revives Enemies, Slightly Invisible Always.
Dark: Greatly Increased Health, Increased Move Speed, Immune To Pain, Splash Damage, Barely Visible, Regenerates.

Some of them can be deadly so watch out :) Cause there is a possibility of Invisible monsters naturally in Heretic, you can occasionally find partially visible monsters of all types. Though the Glass Element is always invisible no matter what. And the Dark Element if the type of it was already invisible becomes impossible to see.
Now for the damage reductions and bonus's. Again if you believe some of this to be wrong please tell me what should be corrected.

Fire: 0% Damage from Fire. 200% Damage From Water. 25% Damage From Earth.
Water: 0% Damage from Water. 200% Damage From Energy/Power. 25% Damage from Fire.
Earth: 0% Damage from Earth. 200% Damage from Fire. 25% Damage from Air.
Air: 0% Damage from Air. 200% Damage from Earth. 25% Damage from Acid.
Steel: 0% Damage from Steel. 200% Damage from Acid/Radiation. 25% Damage from Glass.
Acid/Radiation: 0% Damage from Acid/Radiation. 200% Damage from Air. 25% Damage from Steel
Energy/Power: 250% Damage from Energy/Power. 200% Damage from Glass. 25% Damage from Water.
Glass: 0% Damage from Glass. 200% Damage from Steel. 25% Damage from Energy/Power.
Light: 0% Damage from Light. 250% Damage from Dark. 50% Damage from everything else.
Dark: 0% Damage from Dark. 250% Damage from Light. 50% Damage from everything else.

The powerups or spheres are a new feature added into this to give it a bit more variety and something interesting, to make the battles a little bit easier. Here is a list of them so you can learn what they do in game.

Pyro Sphere - Enemies Flee From You - Fire
Aqua Sphere - Super Speed - Water
Geo Sphere - Reduced Damage - Earth
Nimbus Sphere - Flight - Air
Iron Sphere - Invulnerability - Steel
Crystal Sphere - Invisibility - Glass
Corrosive Sphere - Quad Damage - Acid
Atomic Sphere - Regeneration - Energy
Malicious Sphere - Drain Health With Attacks - Dark
Angelic Sphere - Freeze Time - Light

Captain Ventris has nicely provided a small little reference card sort of thing, to assist while playing.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ie2s7d

Here's the first YouTube Teaser Trailer created by StarScream to show off what I've completed so far in this project :) It's not the best of quality but if you choose the option watch in high quality it does look a bit better! Note: That it only shows what is done so far, so if you ask why there isn't some certain monsters in it, it's cause there not done yet :S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZZek2h_pY

Here is an awesome fan made trailer by Bouncy, truly it is epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaOTersKcA&fmt=18

I am going to put up vids as I complete each Lich, Maulotaur and D'Sparil so if anybody is interested in seeing them just check out my Youtube profile, you can also view the trailer from here.
http://au.youtube.com/user/Maelstrom7777

Testers
_________
Because I'm not sure who is actually testing and who is not anymore, I have decided to make it pm me if you would like to test the latest build. So if you feel like you want to try this out, pm me and I will most probably let you test this current build. The password will change every build.

+ : Change/Addition
- : Change/Removed
~ : Problem
= : Solved Problem

Changes Since Beta 0.4
+ Reduced the amount of Particles spawned by the Powerups
+ Added floating new particle system to the large ammo types
+ New Monster Sorcerers
+ Weapon switching faster (thx to Spleen) (You will be credited in the text file for this)
+ Dark and Light Spawn Less
+ Tome of Power is fully operational
+ Meteor Staff now comes priority to starting weapon
+ Recoloured Quartz Flask to be Blue
+ Ammo max reduced on some weapons and increased on others
= Book Bobbing now works properly
+ Title Pic Added :)
+ Light and Dark now take 50% damage from all damage types.
+ Ammo Max reduced on certain weapon and taken away on others
+ Weapons rebalanced hopefully to a decent amount
+ Credit Pic added
- Time Bomb Recolour Removed
+ Energy Projectiles Radius Lowered
+ Random Elemental Starting Weapon
+ Crystal Vials are now Light Blue like the Quarts Flask
+ Elemental Starting Weapon Given Priority
= Fixed Steel Projectile Trail Effect
= Fixed Crashing bug with the MaceSpawner (Thx to Captain Toenail) (You will be credited in the text file for this)
+ Element Hand Weapon Does MOAR Damage now
+ Spheres Now have included in their pickup message a slight description of what they do.
+ Tomed Fire Attack deals less damage now.
+ 3 of 10 Lichs Done
= Hand Weapon Now Looks Proper Without a HUD
+ Nimbus Sphere will always and only spawn where Wings of Wrath usually do. Due to the fact that you need them to win some levels.
- Spleen's Random Code
+ TheShooter7's Random Code - Works Online You Know What That Means! (Thx to The Shooter7) (You will be credited in the text file for this)
~ Earth does not hurt you when reflected
= Fixed several typo's in messages.
+ Changes Hand Weapons Tomed Attack
+ Clinks Completed and Added
+ Neoworm's new hand weapon sprites

All this was taken from the Skulltag topic here: http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14972

Also if your interested in testing, feel free to sign up. It works with GZDoom better than it does with Skulltag. Also yes I am aware that these are recolours, but that's the best I can do cause I'm not a sprite artist. I tried to make the Decorates better to make up for it.

Some screenshots for Proof of Purchase but there is a Video Trailer up there ^ The Video shows alot more :)
Another Random Battle
Another Random Battle
Battle2.jpg (156.29 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Some Random Battle
Some Random Battle
Battle1.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Fire Lich - Using It's Fire Spiral Attack
Fire Lich - Using It's Fire Spiral Attack
FireLich2.jpg (156.7 KiB) Viewed 6320 times
Last edited by Maelstrom on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 am, edited 18 times in total.
Captain Ventris

Re: Heretic Element Storm v0.8

Post by Captain Ventris »

This is actually really fun. I made a reference sheet so I could remember what was strong against what. It really adds a whole new gameplay element.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Yeah I added your reference sheet up there, If you want the GZDoom version I can send that to you also :)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

This looks really really good... nice to see the current rash of heretic/hexen mods - not enough of those about. Now we need some good wild-west DOOM mods as well - Fistfull.wad is looking very old :)
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Wow, this looks pretty sweet so far. :)
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

I pretty much like Heretic, so seeing some mods for it is really a nice thing, considering how rare they are. :)
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I'm going to play this when it comes out, no doubt :D
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Why wait, CodenniumRed?

I'd like to join the beta test. I was hopeful you would post something on this forum.
Can I be a member, I might have a unique view others don't have. I don't know how, but I might. :) I'll be playing on Quicken though, but hey, at least I can test it.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Holy crap on a cracker, this is the coolest-looking anything I've seen in a while! Keep it up!

Hehe, I'm curious to see how this playes with Hordes of Chaos. I'm sure it'l be even more chaotic with all the different weaknesses to exploit. ;P
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Nice, as usual. The Lich was pretty cool. The weapons seem to be balanced pretty well, and I wasn't desperate for ammo. Good job!
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one as well. Looks disturbingly similar to something I was cooking up a while back...
Spoiler:
...as you can see it didn't make it very far =/
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Thanx for all the support guys, yeh as David B1000 said, I'm happy to have more beta testers :)

Also you have been added to the list, and I will be pm'ing you with a link David. :)
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Can I join beta test too? Dont know if my suugestions will be helpful, but I will try my best.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Ah yeh no problem, added to the beta testers list. I'll be sending you a pm shortly.
zitro

Post by zitro »

WOW, that's just amazing! And I'm glad you configured the monsters since we doom experts probably find their attacks too easy to dodge. (the fire lich put up quite a nice fight in your video)

the only worry I have about the gameplay:

_bosses being easy to kill since you can do double damage by choosing the appropriate weapons. My idea is having the weakness as 150% damage instead of 200%
_having to switch weapons very often due to the huge benefits of elemental weaknesses and the huge drawbacks to elemental resistance.
_element weapon balances. About how many weapons would there be for each element?
_alt-fire? most of us really love alternative fire.
_make D'Sparil (or whatever he's called) VERY CHALLENGING! the final boss of Heretic always seemed easy, especially with items, since its attacks are not hard to dodge and do not hurt too much. Make him fly in fast random movements around (like the hexen mages but maybe faster), shoot various types of attacks, etc ... kind of like a neat AEOD boss, but with more health.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”