[WIP] Cold As Hell: SE (almost done)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [WIP] Cold As Hell (bugfix and enhancement edition)

Post by Graf Zahl »

JonnyFive wrote:
Phobus wrote:Ahah. So there IS a reason. Fair enough then. :)
To be completely fair, I might just be talking out of my ass, but my reading of the MODELDEFS documentation suggests it requires the pk3/zip directory structure. :)

It does indeed. Using models without a proper file naming system would have been too much of a hassle so I didn't even try to implement it.
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

Graf Zahl wrote:It does indeed. Using models without a proper file naming system would have been too much of a hassle so I didn't even try to implement it.
That's pretty much what I thought.

My ass wins again! :D
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

I've re-done the bleeding/health system based on the suggestions here. Currently any hit carries a random chance of starting the bleed, which gets higher as your health goes down. Also, the impact of bleeding increases as you get weaker.

To balance this out, bandages now stop bleeding completely. Using a bandage takes you to a "weapon" that allows you to stop all bleeding by holding the fire button for three seconds. To keep the player from being totally screwed, I've decided to allow the player to bandage wounds while on the run, although they aren't able to fire any weapons until they're done. If they stop bandaging before three seconds are up, they won't lose the bandage.

Also, you get more bandages from the pickups, and can hold up to thirty at any time. No health regeneration just yet, but I'm still considering it.

Also worth mentioning is that I'm going to be putting in a greatly enhanced weather system. I'm probably going to do a general project post about that on its own tonight (I want to polish the weather FX system off before I show anything off), but it's looking promising.
JonayaRiley

Re: [WIP] Cold As Hell: SE (new pic page 7!)

Post by JonayaRiley »

Update time! I'm having some trouble getting into ImageShack right now, so I'll have to wait to post some more screenshots, but I've included one at the bottom of this post you might find interesting.

Anyhow, things are going quite well. The GZDoom revision of the levels is getting very close to being finished, with only map08 (the power generator complex) requiring major work as it is easily the biggest level in the mod. I've added my own weatherFX mod to the levels which greatly improves the performance of the snow, and I'm in the process of adding in some enhanced fire and explosion effects that I'm working on as well (creatively, I've decided to call it fireFX).

Gameplay enhancements are pretty much finished. I moved a lot of the enemy and object definitions out of the old legacy DEHACKED lump and into their own place in the DECORATE code, which makes things easier for me to maintain and modify. The health system is revised and seems much more fair now, and I've made some tweaks to the weapon code. They're actually pretty representative of the real-world weapons' firing rates, although some recoil effects have been added to prevent, say, the BAR from turning into an unstoppable killing machine.

As I mentioned in the updated initial post, I'm going to package both a "Special Edition" of the levels along with a "Classic Edition" that will run just fine on regular ZDoom. Both level sets will use the same resources, although the CE version will disable or otherwise not use some of the GL-specific effects like the improved fire. Both level sets are 99% the same as in the original CAH in terms of layout and geometry. The only major differences are the inclusion of various enhancements to the weather stuff, along with a number of GZDoom-specific additions to the SE levels. The changes are all cosmetic, so the basic gameplay is more-or-less identical between the two versions.

Now, for fun, the new flamethrower from the SE version:
CAHFlame1.png
CAHFlame1.png (244.07 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

JonnyFive wrote:Update time! I'm having some trouble getting into ImageShack right now,
I find picoodle quite good as an alternative
JonnyFive wrote:I'm in the process of adding in some enhanced fire and explosion effects that I'm working on as well (creatively, I've decided to call it fireFX).
I don't suppose you fancy making a bubble effect do you? The kind of thing I have in mind is an actor that you place on the floor under some deep water and it produces bubbles to move upwards until they reach the water surface. I get the basic principle - thrust an actor upwards, the actor checks the water level and when it hits the surface it dies - however, I can't manage to get an actor that moves realistically like a bubble would (I think there should be a little side to side wiggle as opposed to it going straight up).
JonnyFive wrote:I moved a lot of the enemy and object definitions out of the old legacy DEHACKED lump and into their own place in the DECORATE code, which makes things easier for me to maintain and modify.
I remember finally making that jump too. Suddenly everything gets easier doesn't it? :)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Enjay wrote:I find picoodle quite good as an alternative
I may keep that in mind, but my issue is that I can't remember for the life of me what password I used and their stupid "forgot your password?" thing is taking its sweet time to email me. :)
Enjay wrote:I don't suppose you fancy making a bubble effect do you? The kind of thing I have in mind is an actor that you place on the floor under some deep water and it produces bubbles to move upwards until they reach the water surface. I get the basic principle - thrust an actor upwards, the actor checks the water level and when it hits the surface it dies - however, I can't manage to get an actor that moves realistically like a bubble would (I think there should be a little side to side wiggle as opposed to it going straight up).
Actually, I might take you up on that. It could be an interesting challenge.
Enjay wrote:I remember finally making that jump too. Suddenly everything gets easier doesn't it? :)
Ha... yes it does. A lot of the stuff made the jump before the first release, but a lot was still in that legacy file. The biggest pain in the ass is going into all the levels and replacing the old actors with the custom spawn numbers. Thank goodness for DoomBuilder's find/replace.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

JonnyFive wrote:The biggest pain in the ass is going into all the levels and replacing the old actors with the custom spawn numbers. Thank goodness for DoomBuilder's find/replace.
Heh, I took the easy way out and just kept a DEHACKED file that nulled the editnums of all the original actors that I'd replaced with DECORATE alternatives. Of course, that was before the "replaces" thingumy came out in DECORATE. I guess now you could just use "replaces" with any actors that you want to keep old editnums for and Zdoom would replace the Doom actor with the DECORATE one for you anyway. Whatever, it sounds like you've got it all done already.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with re the bubble actor, if you decide to have a go at it.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

For the bubble challenge, try working from solarsnowfall's example in the water resource wad. I do think he cheated a little with the wobble though, and had the sprites move from side to side.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

My idea about the bubble thingy would be:

If you prefer the bubbles to go the same angles while they raise, you could use the angle property to thrust it and after a short while, make it thrust the exact opposite way. For best effect, the bubbles should be spawned with a random angle. It would need a nice looping state ;)

If you'd rather want the bubbles to wiggle in a random way, just make the thrust angle random instead of inheriting the actor's current angle.

I could explain more about my idea if needed, though it could be a pain in the ass to make the timing perfect, with nice momentum and stuff.
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Every single second I'm not playing this fixed version is slowly and painfully killing me.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

(applies a million bandages to Phucket)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”