Impings - Lemmings in Doom! (Updated first post)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Impings - Lemmings in Doom! (Updated first post)

Post by Cutmanmike »

Very early screenshot, won't look this crappy eventually

Impings is a mod based on the popular Lemmings franchsie. In lemmings, you attempt to guide little people to the exit by giving them abilities to climb walls, dig foors, build bridges and so forth. You usually have a time limit, have to save at least a certain amount and have a limited supply of abilities to give the lemmings. Impings will be the same sort of things, only in Doom and the lemmings are imps!

So far, not much is done. The basics are done. Imps will walk along the stage, bump into a wall and turn around and so forth. You can currently give the imps abilities by flying close to them and clicking on them. At this point I'd like to say that this project is going to happen.

Here's some of the abilities I have planned.
  • Climb: Turns yellow and is able to climb walls infront of him. If he hits a ceiling while he is climbing, he falls and turns around. (DONE)
  • Smart: Turns blue and from then on activates any switches he walks past.
  • Respawner: Turns white and respawns at the start of the level when he dies (once)
  • Fireball: Chucks a fireball foward. Activates/breaks stuff. (DONE)
  • Spring: Puts down a little spring which imps bounce forward, over gaps and such. Can be destroyed using explosions, fireballs etc.
  • Explode: Imp explodes, destroying certain obstacles, breaks springs etc. (DONE)
  • Block: Imp stands still and turns imps around that walk up to him (both ways).
  • Lost Soul: Imp grabs onto a lost soul and flies forward no gravity until he hits something, then drops down.
  • Cacodemon: Imp grabs onto a baby cacodemon before he falls too far.
HotWax

Re: Impings - Lemmings in Doom! (kinda)

Post by HotWax »

Well, you did forget the "miner" powerup from Lemmings, which makes them dig down at a diagonal angle, though that'd be even harder to do in Doom than the two you have.

I noticed you're kind of sticking to a Doom "theme", though, so I assume you'd want the abilities to reflect it somehow.

You could add locked doors and place keys in the level that you'd have to get the Impings to pick up, maybe. And don't forget teleporters, of course. For traps, lava, crushing stuff, missiles, etc would be cool.

As far as specific abilities for the Impings, I'm drawing a blank. Maybe you could give a backpack from which they could whip out some type of weaponry to use against enemies in the area? Of course, Lemmings doesn't typically feature enemies, but this is Doom after all.

Oh, and the first thing that popped into my head when you asked about the "umbrella" powerup is that all you'd have to do is have the imp "re-gain" the original Doom ability to fall as far as needed without taking damage. :P Or maybe they could whistle for a cacodemon to ride down on. Heh.
Last edited by HotWax on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Well there's gonna be traps that's for sure. I might go look at lemmings 2 the tribes for some ideas.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Methinks you should call them "Implings" after the Doom RPG imp class. Also, my Insan!ty weapon mod included "Implings" which were green imps, and twice as strong as regular imps. :P
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Is there going to be a self-destruct button? :twisted: :P
Pinky's ass

Post by Pinky's ass »

Impings...

LOLOLOLOL :lol:

Can't wait! :D
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Is there going to be a self-destruct button? :twisted: :P
Of course!
Gez

Post by Gez »

If the Impings have enemies, you could have sludge makers (turn a sector into nukage or lava) that will fry the enemies.

Since it's Doom, you could have teleporters. Take two blockers, make them become teleporters, and from now on when an imping bumps in a teleblocker he rebounds from the linked teleblocker.
Vader

Post by Vader »

The screenshot alone made me LMAO... looking forward to that :)
Also sorry for being a lazy ass and not finishing my Zpotal playtest :oops:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

These imps better say "lets go!" in a squeeky voice or else!
MephistoII

Post by MephistoII »

DoOm LeMmInGs??????? :o WhOa!! AaAaAaAaArRrRgGgGgHhH!!!
Can't wait!! Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme!!
HaHa cutman you'r a genius!!

you will have a massive self-destruction or you must kill all impings one by one????(for when all lemings have exited the level except the blockers)
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Cutty, you are the man.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

CaptainToenail wrote:These imps better say "lets go!" in a squeeky voice or else!
Nah, too un-imp like. They should say it like they grunt/roar/whatever when they see you. :P
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ok i'm having a bit of a problem. Right now the implings are shooting a ranged bullet attack with a puff which uses another bullet attack to damage the imp and execute a script to turn them around. The problem is that if there's too many imps clustered together at once they just seem to stop turning around altogether... I have no idea why although it seems like the puffs aren't appearing...
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Well, give the puffs a conspicuous and obvious sprite to see if they're spawning, right off the bat. "Debug mode" heh

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”