ZPortal v2 - Current TT Best time: 0:36:24 - Sticky

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Zippy

Re: ZPortal v1 - Finally released!

Post by Zippy »

jimmy91 wrote:Cutman, the lava area with the droids Chris Neilson posted that he was stuck on is TOO FREAKING HARD. How the hell are you supposed to get through it? The only (and most unconventional) method I can think of is this:

EDIT: Oh, now I see Hotwax already expressed hatred over this area. :?
Ah, an area I remember with the same frustration.

sv_gravity 0.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Frankly i didnt find getting on top of the droids heads hard just took perfect timing, then save as soon as u get to the first one and so on and so forth.

Also good idea about the demos cutman (lol i totally forgot about recording), that would be interesting to see how fast some people can win the levels.

@icytux: lol cheated for the keys come on, its not that hard to find them, those cameras kinda give it away.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

jimmy91 wrote:4. Using REALITY-BENDING TIMING, use the camera to judge when to fire a blue portal into the wall closest to you and somehow manage to jump into it in the 1/35 of a second before the droids destroy it. Land on the droid. If you can.
You don't have to do this (though I do wonder if that's what Cutty intended... the timing is just too damn hard...). What I do is practice-fire a few blue portals down and into the bot I'm standing on (but not straight down, because thanks to ((G)Z)Doom's poor collision detection, that will just go right through them) until I can find a spot where the portal appears immediately. (The droid will of course zap it) Once I've got a position that looks like it will do the trick, then I fire the red portal, aim back to the spot I just found, use the camera, wait, and then fire the blue portal. The frustrating thing is that most of the time it doesn't work, so I end up trying a dozen different spots on the droids to shoot before I get really lucky and it works. Then it's on to the next droid. :(
Agent ME wrote:This area:

(pics)
Spoiler: Solution
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

HotWax wrote:
Spoiler: Solution
When did I get the camera item? I just now used the bracket keys and realized I had two inventory items. Thanks for the tip. Its definitely better than what I was trying to do, using a stopwatch to time how long until I should use the switch, then estimate for the second door, and then jump through a blue one hoping it worked.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

What I don't get is the area right after that. Apparently it's some kinda long twisty hallway with nothing but sky as the floor, but for some reason my sticky portals don't work *at all* and the mobile portal is completely useless since they always disappear once I hit the skyfloor. Oh, and I can't use the blue portal due to droid interference probably so I'm kinda screwed there.

A really fun wad otherwise, but this part is nonsense. ;P
Macil

Post by Macil »

There's a type of droid that doesn't let you use the portalgun when you're in sight of it, which is in that area. Otherwise you're able just to use the sticky portal gun as long as you're not in its view.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Agent ME wrote:Its definitely better than what I was trying to do, using a stopwatch to time how long until I should use the switch, then estimate for the second door, and then jump through a blue one hoping it worked.
Jesus christ I'm not that mean! :o
Macil

Post by Macil »

Rofl, it was not obvious at all when I got that other inventory item. Does the player get it along with the mobile portal gun? I guess that must've been where I got it.
Spoiler:
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Heh, sweet. Just the way I planned it. Some people noticed them the first time around. And yeah the red portalcamera is sitting right next to the mobile portal gun.

I really should make some ingame instructions somewhere, but i'm not sure how i'd present them.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

[quote="Agent ME]There's a type of droid that doesn't let you use the portalgun when you're in sight of it, which is in that area. Otherwise you're able just to use the sticky portal gun as long as you're not in its view.[/quote]

No dice. I can't stand on stickies *at all* and none of the portal teleports actually work anymore. What the duke?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

got a save game I can try?
Chris Neilson

Post by Chris Neilson »

Spoiler:
EDIT by Phobus: Spoiler'd, for what its worth.
Last edited by Chris Neilson on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Chris Neilson wrote:HotWax's room find one work harder code faster banner scroll and there hotwax dead on seat.
NOES! go die, you just spoiled the whole secret =(
Location: Denver, CO How do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

Post by Sticky »

I have just three pieces of advice in regards to playing this wad:
1) Don't have bad aim ( ;-) )
2) Don't Rush
3) Don't do more work than you have to.

If you follow those three guidelines, you'll skip a lot of headache and frustration.

Since it took Cutty a long time to release this map, I think it's fitting that I release this painfully long walkthrough. If you're stuck somewhere, this demo should give you an idea on how to get past the part where you're stuck. This was my very first attempt through the official release. It's not a particularly speedy demo; however, I do make it all the way to the end, eventually.

Waring, this demo spoils 4 of the 5 secrets in this map. The 5th secret has already been spoiled for you in the post two above this one. :-D Do NOT watch this demo if you want to discover the easter eggs on your own!
Spoiler:
P.S. @ Cutty, nice work--a lot of really good changes since the last version I saw! There is one thing I need to go back and investigate cause I forgot to write the coordinate down, but it certainly seemed to play well from top to tail without any major bugs.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

When is the editing package going to be posted?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”