ZDoom Portal Gun / ZPortal - (old topic)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Location: Denver, CO How do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

Post by Sticky »

So that you all don't have to sit through the whole 6:40 posted on the previous page (my first time through the map since I knew you could get past the red parts), here's a 2:27. Still plenty of room for improvement by others, but less painfull to sit through for the rest of you. :-D
Attachments
StickyPortatl2-227.txt
Rename .txt to .lmp
Recorded with 2.1.7 (and v2 of portaltest.wad)
(10.08 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by Sticky on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

This is awesome!! I can never get bored with this weapon.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

in that case you must have a very sad life
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sticky wrote:So that you all don't have to sit through the whole 6:40 posted on the previous page (my first time through the map since I knew you could get past the red parts), here's a 2:27. Still plenty of room for improvement by others, but less painfull to sit through for the rest of you. :-D
STILLL ABUSING MY MAPSS

Post by Sticky »

Cutmanmike wrote:STILLL ABUSING MY MAPSS
Heh. If you're gonna bother to put a wall in, you should make sure that it actually blocks where I want to go. ;-) Plus, big walls are ugly. You should just let me abuse your maps and keep them pretty, since I'm just going to find a way to abuse them anyway. In fact, like all good psychokillers, I don't even know that my behavior is abusive. What am I doing wrong again? :-D

So I haven't actually tried this yet, but I'm guessing combining this with the deh patches described in this thread could be very cool. I'll see if it works in the morning and report back:
http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?p=23802#23802

Also, to bring this thread back to page 2, what needs to happen to make this work with multiplayer? All of you smart zdoom people should be thinking about this, because the idea is just too cool not to have in multiplayer! I know we can make this work!
spoone

Post by spoone »

You should make more levels for this but with monsters like a sentry gun like the game portal will have.

We need Multiplayer!!!!!!

Post by Sticky »

Ok, so I can't get it to work:
I tried using this as a deh
Spoiler:
But none of those would work. What are the thing numbers of the red and blue portals? I'd like to make them pcross as well :-D. In fact, what I really want is to be able to shoot through portals BUT NOT teleports (except the portals themselves). That would be great!
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Since they're decorate objects, dehakced won't work. Also for dehacked, I think you have to specify ALL the bits (meaning the actor's previous ones).

Edit: Wait, are you trying to be able to send stuff through the teleports other than the player? Won't work either i'm afraid, since the player has a lone TID that will teleport him and only him from teleport to teleport.

Since there's no way of getting a tid which can effect any actor regardless of it's tid, this can't be done. I'm sure there's some fancy ACS that could do it though.
Electronic Samurai

Post by Electronic Samurai »

Hmm. Failing a proper +FIXMAPTHINGPOS, here's a sort of hackish workaround. It reduces the size of the projectiles the portal gun fires, but leaves the portals the same size as the player.
Attachments
portalgun.zip
(44.21 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

I only play zdoom, I don't understand how it works......;-)

Post by Sticky »

Cutmanmike wrote:Wait, are you trying to be able to send stuff through the teleports other than the player? Won't work either i'm afraid, since the player has a lone TID that will teleport him and only him from teleport to teleport.
Yes, I wanted to shoot projectiles through the portals. And then I also wanted to be able to shoot the portals themselves through normal teleports (which I thought I could do with the PCROSS flag, if I knew the thing numbers) but you say that won't work. Oh well.

Ok, so then back to multiplayer.... If each gun only works for that player, what's the problem? Couldn't you just have two guns (or four), one for each player? Or some kind of script that tell the gun which TID to work with when the player picks it up? Or something? I don't actually know what I'm talking about (which should be evident), but I'm trying to inspire others to make this work. :-D
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Electronic Samurai wrote:Hmm. Failing a proper +FIXMAPTHINGPOS, here's a sort of hackish workaround. It reduces the size of the projectiles the portal gun fires, but leaves the portals the same size as the player.
I thought that would cause problems though, but if it works then jolly good.
Yes, I wanted to shoot projectiles through the portals. And then I also wanted to be able to shoot the portals themselves through normal teleports (which I thought I could do with the PCROSS flag, if I knew the thing numbers) but you say that won't work. Oh well.
You could shoot portals through teleports using a flag I think. You can do it with regular projectiles so...
k, so then back to multiplayer.... If each gun only works for that player, what's the problem? Couldn't you just have two guns (or four), one for each player? Or some kind of script that tell the gun which TID to work with when the player picks it up? Or something?
It should work, but lazy :P

Post by Sticky »

Cutmanmike wrote:I thought that would cause problems though, but if it works then jolly good.
I think you were right about that. The new gun works ok for the most part, and it's really nice to have the smaller projectile--especially in tight passages---But the new gun has a tendency to get stuck on the walls in ways that won't let you teleport through them. Doesn't happen everytime, but happens often enough to be annoying.....
You could shoot portals through teleports using a flag I think. You can do it with regular projectiles so...
So, what are the numbers? I don't know how to find out (silly, non-editing sticky).
It should work, but lazy :P
Grrrr. ;-)

Edit: Ok, for a good example of where the new gun has problems, try shooting it into the narrow hallway right after the first pit of lava in the test map. It gets stuck there nearly every shot (unless it's a direct hit with the rear wall).

Edit2: Ok, and it's not just on that map. Happens on all maps, especially when the shot hits any kind of corner. :-(
Electronic Samurai

Post by Electronic Samurai »

Ack. Yeah, it seems it doesn't work when you fire it at a wall when you're too far off to one side or the other. I really really wish that +FIXMAPTHINGPOS worked here :(
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I guess +FIXMAPTHINGPOS only works on map startup.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

If you want I can make multiplayer, I'm not lazy :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”