Doom Bot / AI by Sunbeam

Things that are still useful but aren't launchers, engines, or editors go here.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom Bot / AI by Sunbeam

Post by Redneckerz »

Sunbeam wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:Impressive stuff. If this is an in-engine source mod and its not working up for all user cases yet, perhaps consider an unofficial build so people can playtest/help out with your progress?
Thanks. This might be a good idea in the future, but for now I know of enough places where the bot needs improvement. 😉
Perfect. Would you need other bot related source code/mods (ZDoom based) for additional study or?

I may aswell offer that since i am working on a Spotlight article that targets source mods in the first place :)
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Redneckerz wrote:Would you need other bot related source code/mods (ZDoom based) for additional study or?
Thanks, but currently I don't think so. AutoDoom would probably be the only code that could be interesting, and that is open source. :)
printz

Post by printz »

Interesting idea with the autogenerated waypoints. Maybe that's a way forward for my AutoDoom to detect jump launch points. My only concern is that I should make it dynamic, it should be able to go in E1M5 and E1M7 and use the middle lifts to reach high places. Let alone "puzzles" such as in MAP19 where you raise a platform gradually until it lets you reach places. Jump launch points shouldn't be just static at map startup.

I generate waypoints based on subsectors of a dilated version of the map in which the player is just a point, not a square. But your way of generating waypoints may optimize certain aspects, because my bot can take a long while to find paths, especially if it needs to find switches and stuff.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

printz wrote:Let alone "puzzles" such as in MAP19 where you raise a platform gradually until it lets you reach places.
Haha yes, have fun with THAT! 😜
To be honest: Although it would be nice for bots to be able to handle such situations, I don't think the amount of work necessary would be worth it. Doing the "normal" Doom-stuff is hard enough.
printz wrote:I generate waypoints based on subsectors of a dilated version of the map in which the player is just a point, not a square.
That's quite similar to what the Quake3 bots do, right? You basically remove the player size from the calculations.
I only realized after my current implementation that subsectors are the better idea. Normal sectors can be completely separated to different parts of the map. This leads to problems on some maps... 😬
printz wrote:But your way of generating waypoints may optimize certain aspects, because my bot can take a long while to find paths, especially if it needs to find switches and stuff.
Make no mistake, my bot also takes its time when calculating a path to the exit. I just cut it out in the videos. Honestly from some videos I have seen it looked like your bot didn't even take much real-time to calculate the paths. I found that quite impressive.
Phillips2023
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Phillips2023 »

I have to say, that's impressive. The way it can figure out quite complex constructs and map/switch logic is really cool.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Thank you. :) I remember it took a lot of effort to get it to this point. And yet it still has many flaws. Maybe I'll get back to it in the future, who knows...
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

I am glad this post had been bumped, you have my attention now :)

Do you have Mastadon and\or BlueSky social account I can follow? I no longer nor will I ever continue using Twitter. Further, is there any plans to support Deathmatch with 3D Floors? I wouldn't mind seeing these bots work in TGRDM3 (shameless plug).
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

I'm glad you like it. :)
No, I have no other accounts to follow.
Before anything else the bots would need to "learn" how to use weapons at all before the could do anything deathmatch related. ;)

Return to “Miscellaneous”