Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Software projects like source ports (EDGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Postby NightFright » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:42 am

You need to keep "Ctrl" key pressed to deselect an already selected entry.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:40 pm

This was my favorite launcher for a long time, but lately I've been getting hit with a really annoying bug. If my PC crashes or gets shut down when Doom Runner is still running (ie a storm knocks out power. tested on multiple PCs) I get an error (that I couldn't get a screenshot of atm) which causes all my profiles to get deleted. Its annoying having like 20 profiles only to go back to one empty one -.-
mamaluigisbagel
"If I ever have kids, they're going to come out circle-strafing." ~Civvie 11

Discord: Nonemployee#1013
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Darth_Anyan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:08 am

mamaluigisbagel wrote:This was my favorite launcher for a long time, but lately I've been getting hit with a really annoying bug. If my PC crashes or gets shut down when Doom Runner is still running (ie a storm knocks out power. tested on multiple PCs) I get an error (that I couldn't get a screenshot of atm) which causes all my profiles to get deleted. Its annoying having like 20 profiles only to go back to one empty one -.-

The launcher saves config file on exit. As a workaround, you can exit the launcher after major changes in your config, and also backup options.json file.
Darth_Anyan

Github ID: DanilaSpevak

Postby i2van » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 am

Darth_Anyan wrote:The launcher saves config file on exit. As a workaround, you can exit the launcher after major changes in your config, and also backup options.json file.

According to code config is also saved every minute.
i2van

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby Gen5lock131 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:07 am

NightFright wrote:You need to keep "Ctrl" key pressed to deselect an already selected entry.

Ah, thanks for the info NightFright.
Gen5lock131

Discord: jac0907CM#0312

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:21 pm

I'm aware it saves when you quit, but I mean if the launcher is open and your PC shuts off right then as its still open, opening it again will load up the launcher as if it had no config file. (you have to add Source Ports, directories, etc again)

I understand I could easily back up the file, but wouldn't it be a better idea to try and find a fix? I don't think everyone will have the hindsight to backup their config files after they start using it for the first time. Not trying to force a fix, just thinking out loud.

Also noticed if a file in your profile is missing and you click that profile, you get an error message mentioning that its missing and it will be removed, which is normal. But I noticed it does remove it, but the error message continues to appear when you click on the profile even after the file is removed.
mamaluigisbagel

Postby youda008 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:35 am

Hm, this is strange. When that happened with the force shutdown, did it then show some warning message that the options are corrupted or something?
The launcher should automatically save current state every minute, and i cannot imagine how that would produce empty file, unless the operating system was in the midde of writing the data into the file when the crash happened. But if that's the case, there is nothing i can do about it in my app.
youda008

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:45 pm

It does show an error message after I get my PC back on after the outage and then launch Doom Runner, but I don't have a screenshot or anything of it currently and don't remember what the error said. Will either edit my post or post again if I can get one.
mamaluigisbagel

Postby i2van » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:56 pm

youda008 wrote:Hm, this is strange. When that happened with the force shutdown, did it then show some warning message that the options are corrupted or something?
The launcher should automatically save current state every minute, and i cannot imagine how that would produce empty file, unless the operating system was in the midde of writing the data into the file when the crash happened. But if that's the case, there is nothing i can do about it in my app.

You can save file with another name and after ensuring its correctness rename it. Or save backup. Or both.
i2van

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby mamaluigisbagel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Again, I know I can back up my files, but wanted to post this just to make things more clear. Had another power outage and lost my profiles, but managed to get a screenshot this time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mamaluigisbagel

Postby Xtyfe » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Can I request a way to load pwads after mods?
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby NightFright » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 am

Still screaming for Raze support. That or make a spinoff launcher (Duke Runner?) for that purpose specifically.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Previous

Return to Software and Ports