[Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Software projects like source ports (3DGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.

NOTE: This is NOT a Q&A or troubleshooting forum! This is for active projects only! Please use the General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Postby wildweasel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:04 am

enderkevin13 wrote:Sorry for bumping this, but it won't run for some reason. How do I use it too?

What are you trying to do with it? If you're only double-clicking on it, then of course it won't "run" - it needs command line arguments from a CMD window.
wildweasel
Your Toast is Mine.

Postby enderkevin13 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:05 am

wildweasel wrote:
enderkevin13 wrote:Sorry for bumping this, but it won't run for some reason. How do I use it too?

What are you trying to do with it? If you're only double-clicking on it, then of course it won't "run" - it needs command line arguments from a CMD window.

Ahh okay.
enderkevin13
Official abbadon of ZDoom
Banned User

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:43 am

For a more modern approach to terrain see this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50827#p884605

But to answers your question.
ZTerrain is used with small 8 bit greyscale graphics files, not larger then 64x64, in either bmp or pcx format. I usually have used bmp.
This file represents a heightmap, whites are peaks and blacks are depths.

For example:
for the floor Image and for the ceiling Image

From the ZTerrain_Help.txt file you can set up a batch file with appropriate settings

Code: Select allExpand view
zterrain -size 128 -height 2 -floor f2s.bmp -floortex FLAT5_8 -ceiling c1s.bmp -ceilingz 784 -ceilingtex FLOOR3_3 -lighttype 1 -light 128 -light1 255 -surface 1 -surfacez 128

which creates somewhat of a cave

In GZDoom Builder it looks like this

Insert some monsters on the flat part and you get this in GZDoom

And some more images
Spoiler:
Kappes Buur

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:36 am

... and I think the editor screenshot perfectly shows the problem with this tool. It uses an old and horribly outdated method of defining slopes that completely lacks the necessary precision.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Previous

Return to Software and Ports