[Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Post by wildweasel »

enderkevin13 wrote:Sorry for bumping this, but it won't run for some reason. How do I use it too?
What are you trying to do with it? If you're only double-clicking on it, then of course it won't "run" - it needs command line arguments from a CMD window.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

wildweasel wrote:
enderkevin13 wrote:Sorry for bumping this, but it won't run for some reason. How do I use it too?
What are you trying to do with it? If you're only double-clicking on it, then of course it won't "run" - it needs command line arguments from a CMD window.
Ahh okay.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

For a more modern approach to terrain see this http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 27#p884605

But to answers your question.
ZTerrain is used with small 8 bit greyscale graphics files, not larger then 64x64, in either bmp or pcx format. I usually have used bmp.
This file represents a heightmap, whites are peaks and blacks are depths.

For example:
for the floor Image and for the ceiling Image

From the ZTerrain_Help.txt file you can set up a batch file with appropriate settings

Code: Select all

zterrain -size 128 -height 2 -floor f2s.bmp -floortex FLAT5_8 -ceiling c1s.bmp -ceilingz 784 -ceilingtex FLOOR3_3 -lighttype 1 -light 128 -light1 255 -surface 1 -surfacez 128
which creates somewhat of a cave

In GZDoom Builder it looks like this

Insert some monsters on the flat part and you get this in GZDoom

And some more images
Spoiler:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

... and I think the editor screenshot perfectly shows the problem with this tool. It uses an old and horribly outdated method of defining slopes that completely lacks the necessary precision.
Deybar_TECH
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

Wow that's great. :shock:
It seems I found what I needed.
I'll test if this works on the island.

EDIT:
But what a mistake. :oops:
I had to inform myself more about the subject.
Re: ZDoom Terrain Generator in Windows 7? wrote:by Nash » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 pm

On a separate note, ZTerrain is very outdated and uses old techniques (involving slope things) to create slopes. I wouldn't recommend it.

A modern way to create terrain for ZDoom maps is to model the terrain in a 3D program (like Blender), export it as an OBJ and use GZDoom Builder's "import terrain" feature. The resulting map will actually use vertex coordinates to define the slope (modern) VS slope things (outdated).
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I had used Grubber's Terrain Generator extensively in the past. It is great for making the terrain but very difficult to edit in additional features like buildings.

Nowadays you are much better off using vertex height things. They are far more versatile.

If I knew how to use obj models I would use that. I tried but never had any success at it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Kappes Buur wrote:Nowadays you are much better off using vertex height things. They are far more versatile.
Is that better than giving the vertex a height directly (in UDMF)? If so, how?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

They do exactly the same thing,so with UDMF the direct properties make more sense because they add less overhead to the map data.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”