ZDoom LE (Legacy Edition)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
frost-99

Re: ZDoom LE (Legacy Edition)

Post by frost-99 »

Bueno primero que todo debo agradecer porque solucionaste mi problema con los brightmaps y eso me resulto de grata ayuda, pero sin embargo, eh tenido problemas con las luces dinámicas ayer se me ocurrió hacer algunos cambios en la carpeta de shaders como exportar algunos de la ultima versión de gzdoom a la de zdoom32, funciono ahora tengo brightmaps y luces dinámicas optimizadas, si les sirve, aqui tienen un link de el zdoom32 modificado:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BvKPX ... 1BaZVMUH45
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've released a new ZDoom LE version to fix several bugs, mainly the problem with ACS strings. Also added the light definition for the megasphere and the unexplored secrets custom color in the automap.

BTW i've updated ZDoom32 as well due to that bug. The previous message in spanish is about a ZDoom32 version with modified .pk3 files, apparently that guy copied shaders from a modern GZDoom version to optimize lights? I haven't tried it but of course those shaders won't work.
Recently i've found that besides 3D floors in software truecolor portals and mirrors are broken as well in GL mode in ZDoom32. Seems there was some refactoring and the GL renderer is older so that's not surprising. I can't fix it myself (as expected) and the old code is very different. ZDoom LE is fine tough.
Still there's a ZDoom32 version with a more modern GL renderer but the old renderer is faster on old hardware and i haven't made any release from that branch (glzdoom32).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Sorry but i've reuploaded the release due to a GL performance regression, 2.8.2 was already affected. I cherry-picked something bad when i added the hqnx mmx modes. Apparently the problem was mostly noticeable on intel cards. Now it's fine.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/rel ... 2.8.2a.zip
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've reuploaded the release again to restore XInput support (i restored that code only recently), it works using the include from the full DX SDK.
Also i forgot to restore FluidSynth when i switched to gcc 5.1 (it was broken in the 95 version).
If you downloaded before 04/19 and you need XInput please download again.
That_mAntis

Post by That_mAntis »

So could someone explain me what kind of port this truly is? Is this like zdoom expect its still being updated (unofficially), Cause thats something i m looking for.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Sorry but the days of ZDoom LE are sadly gone, unless some major bug appears which is very unlikely.
This was a maintenance build of ZDoom 2.8 for over two years with some security fixes and hundreds of bugfixes. This can no longer be maintained, it wouldn't make much sense and also due to code divergence. But really there's not much to fix here, only some crazy new features could be implemented, after all this is Doom and this build still can run most the stuff.
You can of course play with ZDoom LE or you can try ZDoom32 which also runs very well on old hardware and can run more mods. Or just switch to GZDoom.
Now i'm working on a legacy build of GZDoom 3.4 just about to be released with support for D3D and DDRAW and also faster on GL2 hardware (but slower on modern hardware). But this one won't last long either, this will give some users some more time to upgrade their hardware.
Edit: there are DRD team devbuilds to try BTW.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well a potentially serious bug has appeared and believe it or not this time is not my fault. :lol:
So expect a new release very soon, while i was at it i've added some extra stuff and bugfixes and fixed linux compilation (and visual studio as well). The old GL renderer was still using the SDL 1.2 backend. About cocoa no idea.

On the GZDoom 3.4 legacy build i've renamed it to LZDoom and will be released very soon as well, the VZDoom name was already taken by a guy planning a Vulkan version but he never did anything. Actually i proposed the LZDoom name for ZDoom LE @vogons originally.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've just uploaded the new release to GitHub, it's an important update. Has several bugfixes (one major old ZDoom bug) and a few new features. But i really don't feel like writing a changelog anymore.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/rel ... _2.8.3.zip
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Just downloaded this and I gotta say, Wow!, it runs SO smooth. Playing BD RC7 with eday on the highest resolution with absolutely no lag. This'll be great to have since I don't have the best hardware, great job drfrag!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Thanks, just uploaded a new version. Has several bugfixes and adds NormalNx scaling.
Now it's even faster since it's a VS 2013 build, happened to have it configured for that version at the moment. The MinGW build is included for compatibility with win98, BTW stack protection was broken and made it crash on 64 bit windows.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/rel ... 2.8.3a.zip
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Is it possible to look straight up? Can it be adjusted in the menu?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

You need to switch to the GL renderer. Use the video menu or type vid_renderer 1 (better select a higher resolution first).
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Thanks drfrag! Do you know if the same can be done for ZDoom?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Beezle wrote:Do you know if the same can be done for ZDoom?
Hardly, since ZDoom is no longer supported.

But, you are in luck, the old ZDoom and the old GZDoom have been combined, so that you can run a recent version of GZDoom either in Hardware Mode (OpenGL) or Software Mode (ZDoom Renderer).

OPTIONS - SET VIDEO MODE - RENDER MODE - choose the one you like
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I did not reply since it was obvious that ZDoom didn't include a GL renderer.
Kappes Buur wrote:you are in luck
It's very unlikely that randi would have merged the GL renderer anyway.
Beezle said he "doesn't have the best hardware" so i don't think so. ZDoom LE is about getting the best performance and compatibility with old mods on old hardware.
Sure it's not official but when did LE stop being ZDoom? It's a maintenance version based on ZDoom 2.8.1 with later bug and security fixes plus some conservative features. I merged an old GL renderer and it was fortunate that it worked so well.
I know this is questionable but even modern GZDoom is now considered to be ZDoom by many or at least to some extent.

Return to “Game Engines”