GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DnB-Freak

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by DnB-Freak »

Kappes Buur wrote:This is not a bug, certainly not with GZDBBF when you present a corrupted image to the editor.
As to the conversion in Slade3, to convert to a flat image the image must be between F_ markers.
I used Slade3.1.2 to convert it to an opaque flat.
The flat itself was exactly 4096 Bytes in size, where does the corruption go? In Slade3?
I've tried to save it as an 24-bit PNG from several different programs, imported it and converted it so it's for sure nothing wrong with the PNG.
It worked fine in Slade3, it was displayed as a normal 64x64 flat and nothing else.

In GZDBBF all the other flats was normal except of this one and Yes, my flats ARE between the F_markers(even pre-conversion).

Instead of disclaiming it's a bug, analyze it.
On my PC in GZDB I see a 1x1 black square instead of a 64x64 flat.
What would you do?

• Save METALF24.PNG
• temporary import it into a wad
• put it between F_markers and convert it to an opaque flat
• save the wad, run GZDBBF and open any map
• Select linedef or sector and view textures

A:
Finally if you find that currently imported flat as an 1x1 black square, it got to be a bug/glitch in GZDBBF.

B:
If not, you see the flat properly then it's certainly something wrong with SLADE3 or GZDBBF that are on my PC.
Almost unimaginable every graphics software on my PC is corrupt.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Can you send me the exact minimal WAD that has this reproduced (that only has this flat)? I tried to convert manually but seems to be working...
DnB-Freak

Post by DnB-Freak »

Here we go:
Attachments
debug.wad
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

My SLADE (v3.1.1.4) just hangs up trying to open that file. I doubt it's related though :roll:
Opened with XWE, things seem correct. Will try to understand what happens.

Anyway, I think I found the cause. MaxED is fucking genius.
Your lump begins with the following hex bytes:

Code: Select all

02 00 00 08 02 00 00 00 00 08 02 EF 02 02 EF 02 08
Apparently this triggers the function that's commented as follows

//mxd. TGA is VERY special in that it doesn't have a proper signature...
				if(CheckTgaSignature(data)) return new FileImageReader(DevilImageType.IL_TGA);
I'm probably going to throw this function out move it a bit lower or make flat detection go first. Or look at how GZDoom does it. But the current way is very wrong.

Anyway, commented step-by-step algorithm reproduction under spoiler
Spoiler:
Updated the build, this should be fixed as of R3008.

Among other good news:
The auto-updating error should be gone now thanks to Rachael.
Also, since I opened Visual Studio anyway, blood's bug is fixed now. (this one)

Bad news is that I still can't make myself look into the issue with assigning DoomEdNums from another archive >_>
DnB-Freak

Post by DnB-Freak »

Thank you, ZZYZX.

I've tried one thing btw...
Spoiler:
I know Flats got no headers, but what I dunno certainly understand yet is that the FileImageReader detected the first bytes of the flat as a signature of a TGA? :?:
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

TGA doesn't have a signature either. So GZDB just detects TGA by "starting bytes kinda look like TGA", so bytes in certain range will detect as TGA if you're (not) lucky enough.
Basically according to TGA's detection algorithm in GZDB, if first few bytes are zero, bytes from 0x0C to 0x10 are not zero (and read to reasonable size values), and byte at 0x11 is 8, 16, 24 or 32, then your file is a TGA.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Scrolling a vertex slope sector up and down in visual mode with enhanced rendering effects disabled pops up this error.

***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
GZDB: R3009

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualVertex.GetSectorHeight() in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualVertex.cs:line 98
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualVertex.Update() in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualVertex.cs:line 66
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualVertex..ctor(BaseVisualMode mode, Vertex v, Boolean ceilingVertex) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualVertex.cs:line 51
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.GetVisualVertex(Vertex v, Boolean floor) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualMode.cs:line 730
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.VisualFloor.ChangeVertexHeight(Int32 amount) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\VisualFloor.cs:line 373
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.VisualFloor.ChangeHeight(Int32 amount) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\VisualFloor.cs:line 348
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualGeometrySector.OnChangeTargetHeight(Int32 amount) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualGeometrySector.cs:line 789
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.VisualFloor.OnChangeTargetHeight(Int32 amount) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\VisualFloor.cs:line 333
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.RaiseSector8() in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualMode.cs:line 2095
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.Action.Begin() in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Core\Actions\Action.cs:line 266
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.BeginActionByKey(Int32 key, Boolean repeated) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Core\Actions\ActionManager.cs:line 576
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.KeyPressed(Int32 key) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Core\Actions\ActionManager.cs:line 515
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.OnMouseWheel(MouseEventArgs e) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Core\Windows\MainForm.cs:line 1342
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseWheel(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.WndProc(Message& m) in w:\dev\GZDoom-Builder\Source\Core\Windows\MainForm.cs:line 4146
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I keep getting this error:

"Unable to make file image. AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Is there some way of remedying this? How did it come about?
Galathrax

Post by Galathrax »

So I'm new here, and I just registered to ask some questions, this is a pretty long thread so I hope I'm not asking something that's been answered a few times already. Is there a comprehensive guide to using the latest version of gzdoom builder somewhere? I downloaded builder because it seems to be the most up to date edition, but I checked the main post and didn't see anything about guides for how to use the program, what resources are, how to use them, etc. Basic stuff on getting started. Hope someone can help me.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Galathrax wrote:So I'm new here, ...... Hope someone can help me.
Welcome to the world of DOOM map creation. :)

Maybe my guide will help you or at least point you in the right direction.
Galathrax

Post by Galathrax »

Kappes Buur wrote:
Galathrax wrote:So I'm new here, ...... Hope someone can help me.
Welcome to the world of DOOM map creation. :)

Maybe my guide will help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Thank you very much! Glad to have gotten a quick reply, any resource at all to help is appreciated.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Wiw wrote:I keep getting this error:

"Unable to make file image. AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Is there some way of remedying this? How did it come about?
Full stack trace please.

Also, I'd really like to suggest everyone who doesn't do it yet to actually use the GitHub issues. Every time a new issue is created, I get an email notification, which then shows up on my Android once I open it :P So it's a lot harder to miss something there. I know I could subscribe to this thread but since it has a lot of other talk... (and either way issues are cleaner)
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Breaking news people! GZDB now supports a native 64-bit binary, which means it can now use 2k HD textures on a regular basis without going out of memory :roll:

As one of consequences of this, the .NET version requirement was bumped up to .NET 4.6.x. Most users aren't going to notice this, but if you do — update please.
If you have really ancient OS like Windows XP, you may as well consider switching to Doom Builder X, as it has lower system requirements too :Р

Note that due to historical reasons (notably possible 64-32 plugin incompatibility) it will NOT update to 64-bit automatically.
You can grab the latest 64-bit version here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

The latest build appears to crash on startup, at least on both my machine and Batandy's.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

It seems in this case installing it into a clean directory should work. Apparently this happens if you have old plugins, these are not compatible. (at least for whatever reason my local installation of r28-something autoupdated just fine)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”