GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
blood

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by blood »

I tried with folder from different mods on a new MAP01 and the crash it still here.
So I suggest that it may happens also in your side
- Format: Zandronum: Doom 2 (UDMF)
- Program: Zandronum 2.1.2
- Try to turn any .pk3 mod into a folder, and put it into the ressources.
- Test your map and the program should crash(FATAL ERROR) before loading.

I'm sure that the bug it from folders because when I use "Exclude this ressource from testing parameters" there are no crash.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Can you send me the PK3 that won't load in GZDB? That's quite wrong as well, everything should load.
P.S. Zandronum indeed crashes when you give it a directory in -file. Report that at the Zandronum tracker please.
(or don't: Zandronum 3.0 works)
blood

Post by blood »

Here are the 3 .pk3 that I'm using, GZDB of course load them but it will freeze when you go in 3D View Mode.

- skulltag_content2.1a.pk3
- complex-doom.v26a2.pk3
- lca-v1.5.8.pk3

These files are needed for my project Complex Doom Invasion, I already told that problem to MaxED this is why he told me to use folder instead.

Also Zandronum 2.1.2 is here since a year if I'm right and there weren't any problem like that in the past can't the problem be from GZDoom Builder?
With Zandronum 3.0 the game start but the ressources from the folder aren't loaded which end up with monsters/weapons/items not spawning.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

No idea. Which version of GZDB still worked fine for you? Might try that one and check what's different.
Also, do I understand it correctly and you are simply unpacking these exact archives as directories and then it won't work with 3.0?

If so, will check later today, it's pretty weird that using a PK3 causes freezes in 3D mode.
blood

Post by blood »

Well I've loaded the first version of GZDB 2.3 and the crash is still there so I can confirm that it comes from Zandronum insread.
And for the .pk3 yeah if I unpack them into folder it won't work for both 2.1.2(crash)/3.0(no ressources loaded).
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

So I spent some time looking into this:
anotak wrote:so like i've been wonder what the code for drawing sectors in gzdb does better than db2 and i asked around and people told me they liked db2's better.
and i also ran into this comment:
//mxd. Shameless Slade 3 SectorBuilder::SectorBuilder ripoff...
//TODO: There are lots of overlaps with already existing code.
//TODO: Replace with existing implementations if results are the same & existing code performs faster

so i'm wondering if maybe it should be rolled back to the older sector drawing code?

what's the advantage of gzdb's code, because i can't find any.
1. 69% of SectorBuilder (percentage counted by git on commit) was indeed duplicating the functionality of Tools.FindPotentialSectorAt (that one is there for ages and is used in Make Sector Mode).
2. The code was very slow (173ms*~15) when it couldn't find a loop. I don't understand what the authors of that code were trying to say with 10000 iteration loop on a broken layout, but just using Tools.FindPotentialSectorAt made it ~150 times faster.
3. Apparently that code tries to fix broken sectors (ones that look into the void, or are unclosed, or all other kinds of weird stuff). It's new. It's the only thing that SectorBuilder is used for. There is no older sector drawing code.

Also fixed this:
anotak wrote:2) sometimes it crashes on
https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Build ... t.cs#L2025
this line right here because l.Start and l.End become null somehow
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

ZZYZX wrote:
blood wrote:I've a question is it possible to make GZDB able to load the ressources even with errors like "double defined actors"?
I'm strongly against this idea, because errors such as this are to be caught ASAP (and ZScript doesn't allow duplicate definitions already).
However, there will be a checkbox "exclude from parsing" eventually (not now, now I'm busy with this because it blocks everyone).
Yeah, this change caught our group unaware.

We are developing a Hexen hub, and decided to copy the bulk of Heretic's Chicken actor into our repo to use as an NPC. Doom builder always complained about the double define, despite it being for a completely different game mode, but we choose to ignore it and it was never a problem. Until recently.

Now, if there is an error, all of the parsed actors from that resource are unloaded. Yet, it will run perfectly fine in gzdoom.

This occurs because GZDB defines a list of actors from the configs, and doesn't filter out those not being used for the game mode the map is using. This is also why "standard" actors do not show a class name in the thing display, but zdoom-specific ones do (gzdb loads the latter from the pk3). Which sucks, because it breaks class targeting for argument type 14.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Keep in mind that ZDoom loads all actors. The Heretic chicken will exist in Hexen, and in Doom, and in Strife, and in whatever else -- it's just that it usually won't have the needed resources available.

If you're making an NPC chicken, give it a different class name and that'll solve your problems.
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

Yeah, that was what we ended up doing, but it's good to see some technical info. It certainly explains why A_Feathers worked after deleting the feathers actor, which I didn't expect.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Fun thing to do: type "summon cyberdemon". Now enjoy getting splattered by a silent, invisible monster throwing silent, invisible missiles. (You can still see the rocket trails if you enable them.)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

More fun things to do:
  • Summon "Programmer", then "kill monsters", then get confused as the level ends for seemingly no reason.
  • Summon "Computer", SSG the area in front of you, and revel as the message "YOU'VE BLOWN UP THE COMPUTER" graces your screen.
  • Summon "PowerCrystal" and SSG the air. You'll probably die, but resurrect and notice how the sector in front of you is now pitch black with a screwy floor height.
Strife actors are fun.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Xabis wrote:We are developing a Hexen hub, and decided to copy the bulk of Heretic's Chicken actor into our repo to use as an NPC. Doom builder always complained about the double define, despite it being for a completely different game mode, but we choose to ignore it and it was never a problem. Until recently.
Don't care. class MyChicken : Chicken. You are really not supposed to have duplicate actors and GZDoom complains about it as well. It's only a warning in DECORATE, but fatal in ZScript.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Submitting a bug report on behalf of another user. I was able to recreate the bug. I can report it to GitHub if need be.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Hexen_breakable_items

It appears one can't use arg0str to type in a class name into GZDB. It tells me to do it via the GUI, but I can't.

EDIT: Crossposted to the Github Tracker.
printz

Post by printz »

When using the rather shitty (not to blame you or MaxEd) default keyboard controls, pasting textures in the visual mode using CTRL+V makes beep sounds.

Why in the world did CodeImp feel like changing the Doom Builder 1 controls to some totally arbitrarily different ones in DB2...
Tango

Post by Tango »

Is there any way to disable the confirmation dialog that pops up when copying sector/line properties? It would be great of there was an option to disable the popup, or set the default copy properties settings somewhere in preferences. Apologies if this option already exists and I'm missing it D:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”