GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Empyre

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by Empyre »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Also, i'm trying to add something to some ZScript classes so they'll show up in the Things Menu on GZDoom Builder, but it seems like it isn't appearing. How would you go about making a ZScripted thing show up in the Things menu? I already added the tags.
When I made custom things (using DECORATE because I map for Zandronum), they appeared in the User Defined folder at the bottom of the things list.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Empyre wrote:
Silentdarkness12 wrote:Also, i'm trying to add something to some ZScript classes so they'll show up in the Things Menu on GZDoom Builder, but it seems like it isn't appearing. How would you go about making a ZScripted thing show up in the Things menu? I already added the tags.
When I made custom things (using DECORATE because I map for Zandronum), they appeared in the User Defined folder at the bottom of the things list.
I already looked there. It's not showing up. Specifically, what i'm trying to do is add some editor IDs to somebody else's mod that this map is meant to build off of and require. However, neither the DECORATE version of the inheiriting actor nor the ZScript version, with an editor number in the definition, and categories and name put in the default block, is showing up anywhere in things menu, and this includes the User-Defined area. I tried to do it with a MAPINFO Doom Ed Num section in my own file, but it said the actors don't exist, so I presume it can't look at files loaded through another wad/PK3.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Might happen. Will check.
Silentdarkness12

I'm all but certain now that GZDB-B doesn't support ZScripted classes for tagging as things.

In addition, Hideous Destructor has map supporting actors that are meant to drop a certain ZScripted item from the mod, with DOOM Ed Nums. They don't appear in the Things menu at all, either. Do RandomSpawner inheiriting actors no longer count for this?
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Please provide minimal example wad. ZScript classes are supposed to work. That's actually one of the key features.
Empyre

Post by Empyre »

Did you give your class a Doomed number? You do it like this:

actor MyCustomZombie : Zombieman 3004

If you want your class to not replace another class, you need to come up with a unique number. Here is a list of the standard DoomEd numbes:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Standard_editor_numbers
Silentdarkness12

Ok, here's proof it doesn't work.

ZSCRIPT
Spoiler:
Just to show how broken it is, I gave him the same ID as the Stalagmite. Not only does it not work properly, this actually crashes GZDoom.

Code: Select all

Script error, "ZScriptTestWad.wad:ZSCRIPT" line 1:
Unexpected integer constant
Expecting ';' or '{'
It's crashing because the ZScript parser actually is NOT capable of reading DOOM ED nums. It is only expecting the opening default block. Also GZDB-B does not throw an error about duplicate Thing IDs. Also I already know how to set a Doom Ed Num, guys. I'm not new to this.
Attachments
ZScriptTestWad.wad
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I won't even pretend that I know enough about ZScript, but it seems to me
that some of the braces are in the wrong spot. Would that throw off the parser?
Silentdarkness12

Kappes Buur wrote:I won't even pretend that I know enough about ZScript, but it seems to me
that some of the braces are in the wrong spot. Would that throw off the parser?
I quite literally copy-pasted the ZScript class from a ZScript tutorial. Also it's complaining about an integer constant. So no, I severely doubt that's what's causing this.

EDIT: Removing the Editor Number from the definition fixes the crash. I feel like that more or less confirms it's the number causing the crashes, not the braces.

EDIT 2: Assigning an Editor Number through MAPINFO works fine. It's terrible, because I can't apply titles or categories on that, but that in and of itself works.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

ZScript does *not* allow you to assign the DoomEdNum in the actor definition like DECORATE does. You have to use the MAPINFO method to define them.

For the titles and categories, put then *inside* the Default block in your actor, and they'll show up in GZDB-BF just fine.

class Whatever : Actor
{
	{
		//$Category Pickups/Useless
		//$Title Useless Powerup
		//$Color 17
		//$Arg0 "Variable description"
		//$Arg0Tooltip "This makes the actor do a thing"
etc...
	}
Silentdarkness12

AFADoomer wrote:ZScript does *not* allow you to assign the DoomEdNum in the actor definition like DECORATE does. You have to use the MAPINFO method to define them.

For the titles and categories, put then *inside* the Default block in your actor, and they'll show up in GZDB-BF just fine.

class Whatever : Actor
{
	{
		//$Category Pickups/Useless
		//$Title Useless Powerup
		//$Color 17
		//$Arg0 "Variable description"
		//$Arg0Tooltip "This makes the actor do a thing"
etc...
	}
Need to test this, but if so, this really needs to be put into the wiki.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

I think that it's not supposed to be limited to only working that way, which is why no one ever added it to the wiki.

From the linked comment in this topic:
ZZYZX wrote:Did you put it in Default{}?
For reasons, it only parses comments from that section. I was going to fix that but never got to it.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Question:
After merging sectors (Shift+J), could you make it so that the vertices left behind
Spoiler:
would be deleted automatically?
Spoiler:
That would be a great help!
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Regarding zscript actors, do you not need to load gzdoom.pk3 as a resource? Because that's what I do and my actors load fine...
Silentdarkness12

Yeah, i'm pretty sure you do.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”