PortaDOOM - A portable WAD disk-zine!

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

PortaDOOM - A portable WAD disk-zine!

Post by Kroc »

A self-contained, portable DOOM launcher and WAD collection presented as an early '90s diskzine:
Screenshot of PortaDOOM Cacowards 2018
Screenshot of PortaDOOM Cacowards 2018
portadoom_cacowards2018.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 12036 times
It's intended as a single download that people can unzip and play on any computer, targeted at people who have either never played DOOM or anything beyond the official iD canon and the thought of downloading, configuring and launching several different engines with all kinds of weird WAD files is putting them off trying stuff out.

PortaDOOM is about having a single executable where you press a few keys and hey-presto! you're playing DOOM WADs in the correct engine with the correct settings.

Downloads: https://github.com/Kroc/PortaDOOM/releases

Source Repository: https://github.com/Kroc/PortaDOOM

Currently there are PortaDOOM packages for:
  • Cacowards 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015
  • PSX DOOM TC
Last edited by Kroc on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: PortaDOOM - A portable WAD disk-zine!

Post by wildweasel »

Kroc wrote:What's Included?
  • Commercial DOOM : DOOM1/2/Master/Final/NERVE, PSX & N64 (if you have the WADs; Steam & GOG installs detected automatically)
This is a bit unclear to me so I feel the need to ask: your download does not actually include commercial Doom WADs, does it? Or does it only contain the definitions needed to use them if the user supplies their own?
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

It does not contain commercial WADs:

- If you have a relevant Steam / GOG copy of DOOM, the commercial WADs will be used from there
- Shareware DOOM is offered if trying to play Ultimate DOOM without a commercial WAD
- FreeDOOM is automatically used for playing PWADs if you don't have the commercial WAD
- You can copy your own WADs into PortaDOOM to negate any of the above

Hope that helps :) It doesn't contain commercial WADs but will work with them and try to work around them as much as possible.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Cool, that answers my question as thoroughly as possible, now I don't need to download it to make sure it's in accordance with the rules.

I'm guessing this is mainly for Windows, though? I've got a Linux machine in the other room that my nephew uses mainly for Doom stuff, and I think a really nice launcher with a lot of preloaded goodies would help him out a lot. He currently uses a build of Rocket Launcher, if I remember right.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

What's inside.
Spoiler:
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

@Doomenator: neat.

@wildweasel: The disk-zine side of it is written in QB64 which will compile natively on Linux, but the part that launches the engines is a complicated 1200+ line Windows Batch file that normalises behaviour between a number of DOOM engines: GZDOOM / ZDOOM / prboom+ / chocolate-doom & DOOM 64 EX. Perhaps I can convert this to bash or redo it in QB64 but that's a lot of work for a platform where most users know what they're doing and can use an existing launcher. Maybe further down the line when there's more demand -- I've only just released this after 4-ish months of development and feedback will be slow due to the download size.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Fair enough, heh. I imagine there's a bit of dissonance between the age and relative computer experience of my nephew (he's just turned 11 this year) and the platform I've installed on his computer, so it's probably quite crazy of me and doesn't match the use case at all. That said, he does at least know how Rocket Launcher works, so he'll probably be content with whatever. Thank you for the information, and I wish you luck on your project.
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

Very cool, I have to try this out.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Well, colour me interested! What's this made with?
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

Fittingly, QuickBasic (QBasic), or rather: QB64 a modern re-implementation of QBasic. It's open-source as is PortaDOOM's code and content.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Pro mode: A tool that can spider idgames ftp (any of preferred choice, default fu-berlin.de) and grab a directory's worth of WAD contents (i.e. idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/), obviously at the user's discretion - warning on bandwidth use. Bonus points: also pull readmes, ratings, sync to discover any updates to said directories, ...

I should wonder if the same could be done with the Cacowards pages.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

As someone who browsed LoadStar Magazine in the past, this seems like a crazy kick in the pants. The fact it's QB64 means maybe I shouldn't be so quick to write off my friend's attempt to get me back into programming by learning QB64 himself.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Zhs2 wrote:Pro mode: A tool that can spider idgames ftp (any of preferred choice, default fu-berlin.de) and grab a directory's worth of WAD contents (i.e. idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/), obviously at the user's discretion - warning on bandwidth use. Bonus points: also pull readmes, ratings, sync to discover any updates to said directories, ...

I should wonder if the same could be done with the Cacowards pages.
This would make this one of the best ways to carry Doom around on a USB drive!
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Do remember my Maps of Chaos sets, namely mapsofchaos-ok.wad will update in the future via the ModDB page.
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

Where possible, I try to ensure that all WADs are updated before I push a public release. I'm aware that some projects are updating regularly and I've been placing URLs on every page so I can check. The next update will include a ton more polish and the inclusion of the 2016 cacowards.

Return to “Launchers”