WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JPL

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by JPL »

Empyre wrote:
DarkkOne wrote:Would it be possible for a change to be made to make it identify as Doom 2? That would be the "most compatible" choice right? Not a lot of mods that only work with Doom but not Doom 2, right?
I agree with this idea.
GZDoom has detected the WadSmoosh PK3 as its own type of IWAD for a while now (since 3.0?), rendering this issue irrelevant. I have yet to run across a Doom 1 or Doom 2 wad that doesn't replace the maps as intended.
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

JPL wrote: GZDoom has detected the WadSmoosh PK3 as its own type of IWAD for a while now (since 3.0?), rendering this issue irrelevant. I have yet to run across a Doom 1 or Doom 2 wad that doesn't replace the maps as intended.
That's why different name formats are so important. I think it's actually near impossible for it to replace the wrong map unless it's a completely new map name format. (I.E PL_Map01)
EtherBot

Post by EtherBot »

I feel strange saying this because nobody else has, and I'm sure I can't be the only person having trouble with this cause of seems unavoidable...so maybe I'm just mistaken or doing something wrong. Either way, boss levels don't end if I use wadsmoosh alongside brutal doom. Its weird. I've tested it out, boss levels in regular doom work with brutal doom, and boss levels work fine in wadsmoosh without brutal doom. But, if I load my wadsmoosh wad with brutal doom than boss levels don't end after killing the boss. Idk wut to make of it...maybe brutal doom does something weird with boss enemies that conflicts with how wadsmoosh makes its wads? Or maybe I screwed something up...
JPL

Post by JPL »

EtherBot wrote:I feel strange saying this because nobody else has, and I'm sure I can't be the only person having trouble with this cause of seems unavoidable...so maybe I'm just mistaken or doing something wrong. Either way, boss levels don't end if I use wadsmoosh alongside brutal doom. Its weird. I've tested it out, boss levels in regular doom work with brutal doom, and boss levels work fine in wadsmoosh without brutal doom. But, if I load my wadsmoosh wad with brutal doom than boss levels don't end after killing the boss. Idk wut to make of it...maybe brutal doom does something weird with boss enemies that conflicts with how wadsmoosh makes its wads? Or maybe I screwed something up...
Which versions of BD and GZDoom are you running? What do you mean by "boss levels"? I tried E2M8, E3M8, and Doom2 MAP30 with BD19 and could complete them as normal.
EtherBot

Post by EtherBot »

Nvm I had screwed something up. My bad. Its fixed now.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

so. i'm trying this out, and i get some error about add options menu. what's up with that? how do i fix that?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Update your GZDoom.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i ain't using GZDoom. i'm using Zandronum. this mod was suppose to work with pretty much all souceports
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:i ain't using GZDoom. i'm using Zandronum. this mod was suppose to work with pretty much all souceports
The error is definitely due to Zandronum - it is using an outdated version of the ZDoom source. I am guessing JPL made some changes and is using more advanced functionality of the GZDoom recent versions. Specifically, that's the newer ability to add on to Option Menus, whereas previous versions you had to rewrite the whole menu you were trying to modify. I'd say your best bet for you now is to either use the newer GZDoom, or manually edit your menudef files to remove or modify the AddOptionMenu section.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

saegiru wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:i ain't using GZDoom. i'm using Zandronum. this mod was suppose to work with pretty much all souceports
The error is definitely due to Zandronum - it is using an outdated version of the ZDoom source. I am guessing JPL made some changes and is using more advanced functionality of the GZDoom recent versions. Specifically, that's the newer ability to add on to Option Menus, whereas previous versions you had to rewrite the whole menu you were trying to modify. I'd say your best bet for you now is to either use the newer GZDoom, or manually edit your menudef files to remove or modify the AddOptionMenu section.
ugh, why am i not surprised that it's always GZDoom. i hate mods that are limited to certain ports. and with Doom Complete. i would of expected that to be capable for that port. i mean, what exactly does the add options menu even do?
JPL

Post by JPL »

The options menu lets you toggle two non-critical compat fixes. I don't test on Zandronum so I wasn't aware this broke it. Does the latest release version of Zandronum still exhibit this behavior? If not just update; if so, anyone know if there's a way I can get Zandronum to ignore the options menu thing? Crashing on unrecognized MENUDEF items seems like a bad behavior for a downstream port.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

JPL wrote:The options menu lets you toggle two non-critical compat fixes. I don't test on Zandronum so I wasn't aware this broke it. Does the latest release version of Zandronum still exhibit this behavior? If not just update; if so, anyone know if there's a way I can get Zandronum to ignore the options menu thing? Crashing on unrecognized MENUDEF items seems like a bad behavior for a downstream port.
yeah. even on the newer versions of Zandronum it has that error
JPL

Post by JPL »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:
JPL wrote:The options menu lets you toggle two non-critical compat fixes. I don't test on Zandronum so I wasn't aware this broke it. Does the latest release version of Zandronum still exhibit this behavior? If not just update; if so, anyone know if there's a way I can get Zandronum to ignore the options menu thing? Crashing on unrecognized MENUDEF items seems like a bad behavior for a downstream port.
Hm okay in that case my second question, for anyone knowledgeable in such things, stands - I'd like to support any reasonable ZDoom-derived port. As a workaround, you should just be able to delete the MENUDEF.TXT file out of your PK3 with no ill effects and it should work in Zandronum.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:
Hm okay in that case my second question, for anyone knowledgeable in such things, stands - I'd like to support any reasonable ZDoom-derived port. As a workaround, you should just be able to delete the MENUDEF.TXT file out of your PK3 with no ill effects and it should work in Zandronum.
I think the AddOptionMenu part of MENUDEF was added in GZDoom 3.0 or 3.0.1.

To answer your question MrRumbleRoses - the reason it is there is as I mentioned before - without that function, to make any changes to the MENUDEF options menus, you had to copy and rewrite the entire section you wanted to add your options to. AddOptionMenu allows you to dynamically add your own submenus into it without having to rewrite the entire menu(which greatly helps when using multiple mods that have their own menu options). So when you say "it's always GZDoom", you're placing the blame wrongly. It's more accurate to say "it's always Zandronum", because Zandronum is the port that is using an outdated ZDoom source base and thus doesn't support all the functionality that GZDoom now offers. The advantage Zandronum has is client/server multiplayer support while eschewing other advanced features.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

well, the reason i said that was cause. for 1, i can't play OpenGL on newer GZDoom's. it's gotta be software mode for my computer, and as much as people are gonna say "you should upgrade this or that". i'd love to but i can't really afford upgrades to my computer. i hate mods that are restricted to certain ports. specially when said mods won't look or run good in software mode. and it boggles my mind that Doom complete is now being restricted to GZDoom now when it was once able to work for Zandronum

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”