WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Silentdarkness12

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I would definitely appreciate an addition to GZDoom that fixes this issue. I feel like a pestering nudge because I wanted to use Doom_Complete with the new wad filter Vaecrius put on.....
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

This looks interesting, but wouldn't this presumably cause issues with other mods that are specifically looking to alter the Doom 1 or Doom 2 IWAD?

Is there a benefit to running a merged IWAD I'm missing?
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Mods shouldn't be specifically using an altered IWAD.

The benefit to running a merged IWAD is that you no longer have to fuss about with different emulator settings and config files for the Doom 1 Iwad, the Doom 2 Iwad, the Evilution Iwad, the Plutonia Iwad, all the stupid D2 Master Level wads, etc etc etc etc.....
James Flasch

Post by James Flasch »

I would like to merge the attached wad (containing an Ultimate Doom E4 interpic map] into the .pk3 produced by WadSmoosh. I have already copied the lumps into the pk3 ( the graphics into the graphics folder and the script (IN_E4) into the mapinfo folder (I wasn't sure where else to put it) and changed the Doom1_levels.txt to refer to it, but the Doom II interpic comes up instead. How can I get the E4 Interpic map recognized within the .pk3?
Attachments
thyinterpic.wad
(94.27 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

Hellser wrote:Right, but there's no official Doom64 IWAD. Infact, the only "IWAD" there is for Doom64 is the N64's rom, and sharing that is highly illegal.
It is illegal to distribute something ripped from the N64 ROM, but you also cannot distribute the commercial IWAD files either. If the point of this tool is to merge together official DOOM levels/games into one menu and file then I'd like to see support for merging in Doom64.

In an ideal world, I want to be able to play Doom 1 and 2 with the two bonus XBox levels properly integrated into the episodes as secrets to find, and No Rest For the Living. Even better is integrating Lost Levels as an episode.

I get the objection over the texture conflicts with the full freedom IWADs, but integrating the freedom level WAD alone should be an option that people can do or not do at their leisure.
skymarshall wrote: - Doom / Doom 2 : The Way ID Did
- Plutonia 2
- Plutonia Revisited Community Project
As someone just now getting into Classic Doom, my primary interest is to dive into the official games. When I start going into community levels/megapacks, I'd primarily be interested in ones like these that work as unofficial sequels or natural extensions of official episodes.

Are these the best unofficial episodes?
funduke re-regist wrote:
irukanjji wrote:It will be great if it can compile also Lost Episodes for Doom
I did it manually in the following way:

I extracted the levels from JPTR_V40.WAD with deutex...
Looks like you only have the first three episodes of the Lost Episodes and not "Remnants of Earth".

There is also a ZDOOM bug-fix patch for the Lost Episodes to make them work properly in ZDOOM.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=35422&p=695889
JPL

Post by JPL »

enderandrew wrote:In an ideal world, I want to be able to play Doom 1 and 2 with the two bonus XBox levels properly integrated into the episodes as secrets to find, and No Rest For the Living. Even better is integrating Lost Levels as an episode.
Lost Levels episode(s): I think some people in this thread have already customized things to do that, have a look around.

Bonus Xbox levels: I knew someone would eventually test my "no subjective decisions" statement. This is actually the first request for this I've gotten. It would definitely be a lot of work for very little benefit. The levels themselves are distributed on classicdoom.com in bugfixed form, but the alt versions of E1M1 and MAP02 that have secret exits that lead to them aren't and would need to be extracted or recreated with special custom logic. Pretty sure the MAPINFO data wouldn't have to change; it could just have "secretnext" values that never get used in the non-Xbox versions. Maybe some custom intermission data needed. All for two maps that weren't produced by the original teams and, most Doomers would probably say, don't meet the minimum quality bar of any of those original releases.

N64 levels: WadSmoosh only supports ZDoom and GZDoom and as far as I know, there is no fully working port of Doom 64 to this engine. If there were, and this port were implemented in a way that let all non-copyrighted Doom64 data (DECORATE, MAPINFO, etc) coexist alongside classic Doom's data (ie not overriding anything), then it would be a matter of extracting the copyrighted assets from a legally obtained ROM file and putting them in the right place. It would be neat to have Doom 64 sitting at the end of the big episode list since it is a significant original release and technically continues the story, but this would be far more work than any I've done on WadSmoosh to date. So if anyone wants to undertake this and submit it to me on Bitbucket, I'd be happy to take a look. (Also it would be cool if someone did the port part, ie "ROM in, [G]ZDoom-compatible pk3 file out" - not everyone can run Doom 64 EX.)
Last edited by JPL on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

JPL wrote:Lost Levels episode(s): I think some people in this thread have already customized things to do that, have a look around.
I don't think they implement the fourth lost levels episode yet, and I'm not sure if they implement the patch to make the levels work better in ZDOOM, which is why I posted about that specifically as well.
JPL wrote:Bonus Xbox levels
It might be a lot of churn for not a lot of butter, but it would make a truly "complete" Doom experience. They are official first party levels from an official DOOM game. It seems odd to try for complete and stop at 99%.
JPL wrote:N64 levels
Aren't there Doom 64 WADs floating around? I know Brutal Doom 64 has tons of extraneous features, but doesn't that run in ZDOOM-compatible engines? Is it truly impossible to play any of the Doom 64 WADs in ZDOOM/GZDOOM?
Gez

Post by Gez »

The Xbox levels are third-party levels added in as an Easter-egg. They were not made for the port, they were just shoehorned in. Also they suck.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

JPL wrote:
Lost Levels episode(s): I think some people in this thread have already customized things to do that, have a look around.
I don't think they implement the fourth lost levels episode yet, and I'm not sure if they implement the patch to make the levels work better in ZDOOM, which is why I posted about that specifically as well.
irukanjji wrote:
Here is i´ve compiled lost episodes for doom2, my version use all 4 episodes packed in one file (Lost.wad), i´ve inclued also a menudef, because the limitations of episode menu, just drag the content of this file in wadsmoosh, and overwrite if asked so.
Here is my final version, this time with new music, sounds, new final boss sprites with decorate and a new titlepic, as usual overwrite all files in wadsmoosh folder.
Attachments
Lost Episodes.7z
(118.64 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

I would like to ask if it would be at all possible to allow WadSmoosh to be more generic and work with other pk3/wad files other than the official ones. :wink:

This would allow users to make compilations of diverse megawads and other mods as different selectable episodes. Example uses: merging both of Back to Saturn X episodes, or to compile different community project megawads (community chests, DUMP series), etc... I guess that in that regard, limiting it to work on vanilla or boom-compatible mods only would perhaps make things easier, as there are fewer special lumps to process.

Just a thought, but I think it might be an interesting endeavour.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's possible, it's largely controlled by text files that you can change.

You might need to be familiar enough with Python, though.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

Had a look at it, but the Python executable is frozen and would need to be recompiled for any change in the source code. Since I don't have any expertise with the OMGIFOL module, I pretty much decided to code my own Python script to create the MAPINFO lumps for each mod and rename the needed files (extracted manually and then re-imported manually from each mod). Certainly more of a hassle, but quicker than learning the OMGIFOL API nonetheless.

Perhaps after the exams I'll have a more in-depth look at it.
JPL

Post by JPL »

TechnoDoomed1 wrote:Had a look at it, but the Python executable is frozen and would need to be recompiled for any change in the source code. Since I don't have any expertise with the OMGIFOL module, I pretty much decided to code my own Python script to create the MAPINFO lumps for each mod and rename the needed files (extracted manually and then re-imported manually from each mod). Certainly more of a hassle, but quicker than learning the OMGIFOL API nonetheless.

Perhaps after the exams I'll have a more in-depth look at it.
You should be able to do a fair amount without modifying the code in the executable. wadsmoosh_data.py is exec()'d by the main program and can be modified without a rebuild, and it in turn reads from plaintext files in the data/ subdirectory. The MAPINFO etc are modifiable as well of course.

If you do need to modify wadsmoosh.py, it's included with the build and if you have PyInstaller installed there's a batch file for creating new EXE builds.

As I've said many times though, all of this was done for automating the extraction of copyrighted content, so if the content you're trying to repackage is freely distributable, you're much better off just using a real WAD management tool like SLADE and distributing the result of that.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

JPL wrote:You should be able to do a fair amount without modifying the code in the executable. wadsmoosh_data.py is exec()'d by the main program and can be modified without a rebuild.
Thanks, I didn't know it didn't need a rebuild.
JPL wrote:As I've said many times though, all of this was done for automating the extraction of copyrighted content, so if the content you're trying to repackage is freely distributable, you're much better off just using a real WAD management tool like SLADE and distributing the result of that.
Well, you may have a point there. Still, congrats on a job well done: it certainly is nifty to have all the original content all together. :mrgreen:
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Can this run custom wads (I.e, Dump 3)?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”