WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JPL

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by JPL »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug Report: After smooshing sewers.wad and betray.wad into Doom Complete, it appears that E1M1's secret exit still works...but takes you directly to E1M2 upon use. Same thing happens with MAP02. Digging into the PK3, I noticed that E1M10 was still the same file size as SEWERS.wad itself, and MAP33/Betray was nowhere to be found.

Quick, temporary solution: Use the WADExt Extraction Tool on SEWERS and BETRAY, then copy E1M1, E1M10, MAP02, and MAP33 into the maps folder of doom_complete.pk3, overwriting the former three if need be.
I can't reproduce this on my system, would you mind posting the text of the log that wadsmoosh generates? Thanks!
JPL

Post by JPL »

vanhofen wrote:@JPL, thank you for WadSmoosh. :)

I'm using doom.wad and doom2.wad from the BFG-Edition, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad, the master levels wad's, sewers.wad and betray.wad. All fine.
But in wadsmoosh.log i found a warning while processing doom2.wad:

Code: Select all

Couldn't find lump with name DMXGUS
Is this an issue on my side?
That shouldn't be a problem, that lump is for Gravis UltraSound patches and the lump is named DMXGUSC in doom2.wad. Surprised I didn't catch that error before. It shouldn't impact functionality in any way.
crazycow

Post by crazycow »

I love it!Is there any way to make it where we can have the extra bfg levels too? :mrgreen:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

crazycow wrote:I love it!Is there any way to make it where we can have the extra bfg levels too? :mrgreen:
Uh...which ones? Both NRFTL (nerve.wad) and the Xbox bonus maps are supported.
crazycow

Post by crazycow »

I was referring to to betray but I patched it into my doom2 iwad then smooshed my wads together again and now it is working.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Sounds like you didn't update it.

The secret exits, and therefore the secret levels themselves, are patched in at the presence of BETRAY.WAD (for map33) and SEWERS.WAD (for e1m10). This does require the most recent version of wadsmoosh.
Valken

Post by Valken »

This pretty a good tool. I was wondering how the structure works. I'm trying to figure out how to add the Lost Episodes mod (PSX and Saturn Doom) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... l/lostepis into this but have no idea how to invoke the extractor to rip the textures out? I can see the mapinfo file list how the maps should be sorted.

Would be cool to add these maps back into Doom in the order of the PSX/Saturn versions. Maybe add back Club Doom or Romero's Tech Gone Bad E1M8 https://twitter.com/romero/status/68805 ... 76/photo/1 as E1M9 bonus?? for fun if I can figure out how.
DooMgGuy696

Post by DooMgGuy696 »

Interesting program but the download link is dead.
JPL

Post by JPL »

DooMgGuy696 wrote:Interesting program but the download link is dead.
Bizarre... bitbucket started caring whether the link ended with a slash. Fixed now.
dzero247

Post by dzero247 »

not sure weither this is dead or not but i was curious since i have the master levels from doom i got off of steam how to merge those as well
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

dzero247 wrote:not sure weither this is dead or not but i was curious since i have the master levels from doom i got off of steam how to merge those as well
Just copy them into your /wadsmush/source_wads folder, nothing more, it worked just fine for me.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

This is great! I have a few questions and comments.

Firstly, this created a ~41mb wad for me, but I was able to use DoomCrusher to shrink that down to 16mb! Granted, I've not playtested it a whole bunch yet, but so far it seems to still work fine!

I have a shareware doom floppy laying around somewhere, and I originally played doom mostly from an ultimate doom CD that is now scratched to death. I now own doom bfg edition from steam, doom I, II, and final doom from GOG. I'm a little out of the loop, but If I remember, there are certain things that are different in the bfg edition than in the ultimate doom editions? If so, what would be the wisest combination of .wads to smoosh?

Finally, there's been talk in here about adding in the xbox levels, and the lost levels. Am I wrong in thinking those are included in nerve.wad? If not, where can I legally obtain them? (even if that means an exchange of moolah)

Thanks in advance! and thanks JP for this great tool. Can't wait to see your Doom Diaries when it gets released!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

As far as I can remember, the BFG Edition changes to the Ultimate Doom IWAD are solely in the medikit sprites, with the pill instead of the cross. BFG Edition's censorship is more focused on Doom II, changing Wolfenstein textures, enemies, and level names. If I remember correctly, someone on this forum released a patch called "Make IDKFA Wolfenstein Again" that reverts all these changes for owners of the BFG Edition WADs.

As for Sewers and Betray, Sewers is not actually found in the 360 Doom port or the BFG Edition and was technically exclusive to the Xbox ports found on the Doom 3 special editions - except for the fact that it's actually a very old map by one of Nerve's designers. That can be found here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... -u/sewers2

Betray is a little trickier, but there's a legit download for that too: http://classicdoom.com/xboxspec.htm - I think this is the download you'll want to use with WadSmoosh.
JPL

Post by JPL »

MrDowntempo wrote: Firstly, this created a ~41mb wad for me, but I was able to use DoomCrusher to shrink that down to 16mb! Granted, I've not playtested it a whole bunch yet, but so far it seems to still work fine!
The PK3 WadSmoosh creates uses "store" compression (ie no compression), so yeah you can get a lot of file size savings just by re-compressing the same ZIP with max compression.
MinerOfWorlds

Post by MinerOfWorlds »

How does this program work? does it place all of the wads into the pk3 or does it just tell zdoom to load all the wads together (i think it can do that). Great program anyway.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”