WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sylandro

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by sylandro »

I think I've found a bug in the latest version. The animated textures exclusive to plutonia are not working correctly, is it just me? My autoload list is empty.

You can test this by going to PL_MAP02. The rocks (FIREPLU1) should animate using the AROCK2, AROCK3, etc textures, but it's static. I don't see them declared in the ANIMDEFS lump:

In the same map, there is a specific texture (WFALL1) that is loading a TNT texture:

There is also another animated texture (PBRAIN1) that should animate in PL_MAP30, but isn't declared in ANIMDEFS as well.
JPL

Post by JPL »

sylandro wrote:I think I've found a bug in the latest version. The animated textures exclusive to plutonia are not working correctly, is it just me? My autoload list is empty.
I believe I fixed all those errors last month (April), so if your version of WadSmoosh is older than that grab the latest version here: https://bitbucket.org/JPLeBreton/wadsmoosh/downloads

But yeah if you're playing through Plutonia please note any errors you find!
sylandro

Post by sylandro »

I just tested this with a freshly downloaded version and re-downloaded the iwads from Steam, and the issue still occurs. Looking at the commit history, I see that some fixes were made for TNT, but not for Plutonia.
JPL

Post by JPL »

sylandro wrote:I just tested this with a freshly downloaded version and re-downloaded the iwads from Steam, and the issue still occurs. Looking at the commit history, I see that some fixes were made for TNT, but not for Plutonia.
Ahh I see, sorry about that. My TNT fixes broke 3 Plutonia animated textures. Try the version I just uploaded on bitbucket, I've tested it with a variety of TNT/Plutonia maps now.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Updated the build: use level title patches for Doom1 and Doom2 levels, so that mods that provide their own will display correctly. Didn't bother with Nerve.wad (who mods that?) or Final Doom because those get renamed from CWILV* anyway.

One thing I've noticed is that the map fix hacks defined in gzdoom.pk3's compatibility.txt don't affect the maps in doom_complete.pk3. I would very much like them to, if that's possible, otherwise I have to add lots of special code to WadSmoosh to perform these fixes to the maps it extracts using omgifol - and update that code every time GZDoom adds a new fix to compat.txt. Current hypothesis is the problem lies with omgifol's map WAD output (which generates a different MD5 sum from identical map data compared to say, SLADE3), I'm filing an issue there first.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If that can't be fixed it's easy enough to add in the hashes for the compatibility.txt for your mod.

First, what needs to be done is to verify that all references (line/sidedef#'s) stay the same. Then, simply turn on console logging and use a series of "mapchecksum" commands to find out what your map checksums are.

Code: Select all

]logfile sumlist.txt
Log started: Thu May 18 16:13:30 2017

]mapchecksum e1m1 e1m2 e1m3 map05 map06 map07
36CF4DDCE946096D2B6A1C9167CDFF24 // doom_complete.pk3 e1m1
3E472796AD1B7A0773EBAD6C52FC7C64 // doom_complete.pk3 e1m2
C7FF2282BC606FFB28DDCB90357094E6 // doom_complete.pk3 e1m3
9E061AD7FBCD7FAD968C976CB4AA3B9D // doom_complete.pk3 map05
5DF13A7AC584581359DB58C68D4BD8EB // doom_complete.pk3 map06
48EF64E5808FD876A9D5BBE130081446 // doom_complete.pk3 map07
]logfile
Log stopped: Thu May 18 16:13:41 2017
Send those to the feature requests forum and they will be added.

Keep in mind, however, that you will then likely be stuck with the map exporter you're using. You may be better off simply live-patching the maps, yourself, using some sort of tool, before they get imported into the archive.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If these maps get changed by the process, they may get changed again and get yet another checksum in the future. I think the fix ought to be entirely on wadsmoosh's side (or omgifol's), not on ZDoom's.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah I didn't think of that until much later. What's weird is wadext/unwad maps do not change checksums like this. Compatibility fixes will still work for them.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, WadSmoosh now just copies map lumps directly, so the MD5sums for all maps that don't require texture replacements (only several in Final Doom) remain the same. See this changelist for details.
That makes this the first version of WadSmoosh to play nice with all the runtime map fixes GZDoom does, so that's pretty cool if you're doing 100% secret runs, or got stuck on E3M4.

Also I caved on the Master Levels music thing, maps 01-11 now use their Doom 2 equivalents. Nobody should have to listen to that much non-stop D_RUNNIN.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's awesome. :) I like both of those changes.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

JPL wrote:Nobody should have to listen to that much non-stop D_RUNNIN.
The third Geneva convention explicitly forbids extended exposure to D_RUNNIN, so you dodged a bullet there. A little more and the UNSC would be ringing at your door, very angrily.
Jokes aside, thanks kindly.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

Speaking of music and midi - I don't seem to be able to use Jimmy's Jukebox with the wadsmooshed pk3. Would be cool to be able to, but I'm not understanding why it won't work - any ideas?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

saegiru wrote:Speaking of music and midi - I don't seem to be able to use Jimmy's Jukebox with the wadsmooshed pk3. Would be cool to be able to, but I'm not understanding why it won't work - any ideas?
As I understand it, Jimmy's Jukebox scripts are looking for specific map numbers (or map lumps?) that WadSmoosh winds up changing in the process of stitching all the IWADs together. So it probably won't work without a serious overhaul - speaking of which, Jimmy is looking for help with ZScript to give the Jukebox said overhaul.
JPL

Post by JPL »

wildweasel wrote:
saegiru wrote:Speaking of music and midi - I don't seem to be able to use Jimmy's Jukebox with the wadsmooshed pk3. Would be cool to be able to, but I'm not understanding why it won't work - any ideas?
As I understand it, Jimmy's Jukebox scripts are looking for specific map numbers (or map lumps?) that WadSmoosh winds up changing in the process of stitching all the IWADs together. So it probably won't work without a serious overhaul - speaking of which, Jimmy is looking for help with ZScript to give the Jukebox said overhaul.
Without delving into the Jukebox mod code, if I had to guess as to what's breaking those map references it'd be that TNT, Plutonia, NRFTL, and Master Levels maps are called tn_MAP01.wad, pl_MAP01, nv_MAP01, ml_MAP01 etc in the PK3. Doom 1 and 2 maps are still referred to by their original names though, so if those don't play correctly with Jukebox I'm unclear as to why.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
Without delving into the Jukebox mod code, if I had to guess as to what's breaking those map references it'd be that TNT, Plutonia, NRFTL, and Master Levels maps are called tn_MAP01.wad, pl_MAP01, nv_MAP01, ml_MAP01 etc in the PK3. Doom 1 and 2 maps are still referred to by their original names though, so if those don't play correctly with Jukebox I'm unclear as to why.
Yes, I assumed that would be an issue with the renamed maps, but it is not playing on the Doom or Doom 2 maps, which is what is confusing me. I checked the code too and couldn't come up with anything initially either. I'll keep looking, as I think this working on wadsmoosh would be cool. I actually modified my mapinfo to make the entire thing be one big superinsanemegawad - after you finish e1m8, it drops you to e2m1, and so forth - the ending doesn't come until the final map. Having a different soundtrack through the whole thing would be cool in my opinion.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”