WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby JPL » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:30 pm

It won't work on 64-bit Windows.

This is not a very helpful bug report. If you include more info we might be able to help track it down.
JPL

Postby JPL » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm

So I was playing a PWAD just now ("Spicy Evil Spaghetti") which includes its own RSKY1 patch, and for some reason MAP01's sky shows up as SKY1 (vanilla Doom E1 sky) instead of the included RSKY1. When I jump to MAP03 in the same session (ie with the PWAD loaded, even though it's the vanilla Doom2 map) the sky shows up as it should, ie the spaghetti-ish RSKY1. Anyone wise in the ways of PWAD loading rules have any idea why this would be happening? The PWAD's sky looks fine when playing with doom2.wad. It's the first visual issue with my WadSmoosh'd IWAD I've seen in a long time.
JPL

Postby Rachael » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

In Doom 2 RSKY1 and SKY1 were synonymous, they were the same (albeit different namespace, one was a patch one was an actual texture). It's likely defined as such in MAPINFO where the original author was not dealing with your wadsmooshing when he designed it, so he assumed they would appear the same sky.

In Hi-Res packs and in projects like Wadsmoosh, the skies are different because they appear in different games.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby JPL » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Rachael wrote:In Doom 2 RSKY1 and SKY1 were synonymous, they were the same (albeit different namespace, one was a patch one was an actual texture). It's likely defined as such in MAPINFO where the original author was not dealing with your wadsmooshing when he designed it, so he assumed they would appear the same sky.

In Hi-Res packs and in projects like Wadsmoosh, the skies are different because they appear in different games.

Ahh, I'd missed this from the wad's MAPINFO: sky1 = "SKY1". Thanks.
JPL

Postby Purity666 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am

Hello,

when executing wadsmoosh, it reports the following "problems" during the extraction of lumps:

Processing IWAD doom... (it's the ultimate doom wad):

extracting sounds_common...
Couldn't find lump with name DSRADIO

-> I wasn't able to find that lump neither in the shareware nor registered wad of doom. It can be found in other wads though - is this normal?

extracting graphics_doom1...
Couldn't find lump with name HELP2

-> I found this lump in the shareware wad file. When I add it to the ultimate wad, then I still get the exact same error in the log. Can I fix this myself somehow?

----------------------------------------------

Processing IWAD doom2...

extracting data_common...
Couldn't find lump with name DMXGUS

-> you said:

"That shouldn't be a problem, that lump is for Gravis UltraSound patches and the lump is named DMXGUSC in doom2.wad. Surprised I didn't catch that error before. It shouldn't impact functionality in any way."

-> is there a way to fix this?

Greetings
Purity

edit: corrected "unlimited" to "ultimate"
Last edited by Purity666 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purity666

Postby wildweasel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 am

Are your IWAD files patched to the latest versions?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 am

Purity666 wrote:Processing IWAD doom... (it's the doom unlimited wad):

What in the heck is "doom unlimited"? That sounds like your problem.

You need the original Ultimate Doom IWAD or the BFG Edition version in order to use this.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Purity666 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 am

wildweasel wrote:Are your IWAD files patched to the latest versions?

I would think so...

MD5 of Ultimate Doom 1.9 WAD = c4fe9fd920207691a9f493668e0a2083
MD5 of Doom II 1.9 WAD = 25e1459ca71d321525f84628f45ca8cd
Purity666

Postby Rachael » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:12 am

Those are correct from what I can tell.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby JPL » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Purity666 wrote:Hello,

when executing wadsmoosh, it reports the following "problems" during the extraction of lumps:

Processing IWAD doom... (it's the ultimate doom wad):

extracting sounds_common...
Couldn't find lump with name DSRADIO

-> I wasn't able to find that lump neither in the shareware nor registered wad of doom. It can be found in other wads though - is this normal?

extracting graphics_doom1...
Couldn't find lump with name HELP2

-> I found this lump in the shareware wad file. When I add it to the ultimate wad, then I still get the exact same error in the log. Can I fix this myself somehow?

----------------------------------------------

Processing IWAD doom2...

extracting data_common...
Couldn't find lump with name DMXGUS

-> you said:

"That shouldn't be a problem, that lump is for Gravis UltraSound patches and the lump is named DMXGUSC in doom2.wad. Surprised I didn't catch that error before. It shouldn't impact functionality in any way."

-> is there a way to fix this?

Greetings
Purity

edit: corrected "unlimited" to "ultimate"

I've fixed these errors and they should be in a future release, but none of them should actually cause any user-visible problems.
JPL

Postby Purity666 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:13 am

Good morning,

thanks for the clarification and for fixing it in a future release. Also thanks for all the effort to create a tool like this - it's really appreciated.

Now that I've read the whole thread and noticed that there was no reply to Valkens request to add (at leath) the "Ultimate Doom Semi-Official Lost Episode 5" (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... l/lostepis) to the script, I had the idea to give it a try. As I'm completely new to doom-modding (installed slade yesterday for the first time) this result in some problems and things I don't understand (for now). I hope you don't mind posting them all in this thread although some remarks might not directly WadSmoosh related or might be even stupid from your point of view.

I've attached all the updated files (compared to the WadSmoosh release) to this posting - perhaps someone could take a look at them and might reply to following issues.

First of all, I've merged irukanjjis "Lost Episodes 2.0" script he provided (download/file.php?id=27687) into the latest release of WadSmoosh to not loose the addition of the xbox levels which got provided afterwards. This was a good start into the whole topic as I could compare irukanjjis files with the corresponding LOST.WAD and also with the files of the official WadSmoosh release.

After some tries I got the script to create a WAD file without creating any additional errors in the WadSmoosh log file, which encouraged me to stick to the whole "project" :-)

zDoom reported some minor problems at start, which I was able to iron-out myself.

I still have the following problems though:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: 1. Map-music -> solved :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: 2. Episodes-menu -> Apparently not possible :-(

3. Texture confict:

Something I currently don't understand at all (sorry to ask): What's the easiest way to find out if there are any texture conflicts when adding WADs using this script. Not only for this kinda small project here but also for the future? How do I start detection the kind of problems? In the WAD are several markers (DOOM2 (!!), ALPHA and CUSTOM) - might be at least the ones below DOOM2 could produce problems? Do I have to compare all the textures in each level ingame or is there a tool or list which shows me possible collisions?

4. Missing resources of the original WAD:

In the files/folders of the attached zip, I've added all the resources of the original WAD which seem to be necessary (at least from my point of view - means I've skipped everything which was important for the integration, for example: ESTRING -> Level names for intermission screen, and so on...). Could anyone please check if there is something missing or is there a way to find this out? What about EPSXDECS -> PSX Decorations? There is at least no zdoom-stdout error when starting the map.

5. Decorations vs. thinginfo.py

Something I currently don't get is the relation of decorate and thinginfo. I had to add the decorations of the lostepis (due to this comment: I had to make this *just* for those crazy PSX hook decorations) but I don't if or what I have to add to thinginfo.py for this or if it is connected to the EPSXDECS resource. It would be fantastic if someone could give me a short introduction to this or give me some hints.

6. Romero's Tech Gone Bad:

Another comment from Valken: "Maybe add back Club Doom or Romero's Tech Gone Bad E1M8 https://twitter.com/romero/status/68805 ... 76/photo/1 as E1M9 bonus?? for fun if I can figure out how."

Also not WadSmooth related but has anyone tried to add them already and would grant me a sneak into his/her scripts? Haven't tried it yet myself but will for sure do later on - it's just to save some time if someone started on this already.

7. Everything else:

Once again, please keep in mind I'm completely new to this and try to learn as much and as fast as possible. If you spot anything missing or any errors in the files, please tell me. If there is anything which could be done better (naming conventions?) then tell me either. Each comment is welcome.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any comments!

Greetings
Purity
Attachments
5_Lost_Episodes.zip
(109.92 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by Purity666 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Purity666

Postby JPL » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm

If you'd like to add non-commercial content to your smooshed PK3, you don't need to modify WadSmoosh itself in any way, just add stuff to the PK3 it generates.
JPL

Postby NightFright » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 am

I have created graphic lumps for the missing episodes (Hell on Earth, NRFTL, Master Levels, Plutonia, TNT) in PNG format so you don't have to suppress using the Doom1 lumps (M_EP1 etc) any more. Feel free to use them in this project if you wish.

Preview:
Attachments
episode_lumps.zip
Graphics lumps for WadSmoosh episodes
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby JPL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:32 pm

[quote="NightFright"]I have created graphic lumps for the missing episodes (Hell on Earth, NRFTL, Master Levels, Plutonia, TNT) in PNG format so you don't have to suppress using the Doom1 lumps (M_EP1 etc) any more. Feel free to use them in this project if you wish.

Thanks, I'll add these!
Last edited by JPL on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPL

Postby Purity666 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 pm

JPL wrote:If you'd like to add non-commercial content to your smooshed PK3, you don't need to modify WadSmoosh itself in any way, just add stuff to the PK3 it generates.

meanwhile I've created altered WADs for some non-commercial content to be added to the file afterwards myself. The levels of the lost episode 5 I was talking about were (as far as I understand) comparable to the xbox levels you supported in your last update, hence I tried to incorporate them the same way. On the other hand I also tried to gain a foothold into the whole topic so perhaps someone could give me a hand to find some more info about the "texture conflict" issue and ways to find/solve them?

Greetings
Purity666

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation